Should Peatarians Consider Antihistamines?

Pointless

I've used cyproheptadine and loratidine. They both worked for my allergies, but only cyproheptadine worked for serotonin, judging by gut issues and temperature in my extremities.

Ewelina

@Oniyogini I should have said traveled to UK, i'm not a brit ;)
People here in Sweden seem to like shopping weekends in London so i just figured i might do the same thing
(though bringing home 10 boxes of cypro instead of 10 pairs of shoes)

I think cypro is OTC in the UK. However, I tried a few pharmacies in London and most of them even didn't know what's that. In one pharmacy the guy told me that he ordered some but a month later he still didn't have it, so I think London is not the best place to find cypro.

Ania

Hi, I am new to forum, though I've been following for over a year now. I think I can share something important concerning antihistamines. I was on zyrtec for over ten years due to mild ocassional utricaria. Zyrtec did great, however after some time I decided to quit zyrtec, since I didn't want to be addicted to any medication. To my suprise it proved completely impossible. Each time I tried, I had terrible, driving me crazy attacs of hives all over my body. As if someone put me into the boiling water. The itching was killing, I could feel it even inside my bones.
I thought my primary hives entered more advanced stage. So I carried on with zyrtec, and was symptom free. Few years later I noticed my short time memory started declining. I was convinced it was due to long term zyrtec addiction, so I decided to quit again. Not possible. The same story each time I skipped a pill. I started digging and discovered a lot of information on the internet about zyrtec withdrawal side effects. As if I was reading my own story. There are thousands of people who cannot quit zyrtec since they experience unbearable, torturing itching. In my case utricaria was the primary symptom, but the same happens to people who took it for seasonal allergies, or othe allergic issues. Those who take up the fight to get rid of that vicious cycle suffer tremendously for weeks or months. Some cannot stand it and return to zyrtec. As far as i remember there were some cases of people experiencing the same symptoms from other antihistamines, like claritine and others. The manufacturer denies such reaction, the same with doctors. All in all I decided to quit any way. I inferred that after long term blocking of the receptors organism produces much higher quantities of histamine, since it cannot see it. So before i stopped zyrtec I bought a DAO enzyme supplement to break down excess histamine. It help tremendously. I wouldn't have done it without DAO. Previously, when I tried I scretched myseld till bleeding. Now I have been free of zyrtec for 3 months and I see improvements in sleep quality, brain fog and energy. I still get some hives occasionally, but I can stand it.
I just wanted to warn you, that antihistamines are no joke. Probably most people will not experince such terrible side effects, but you never know.
Here is the link to peoples tetimonials, if anyone was interested.

Itching from Cetirizine Withdrawal - The People's Pharmacy

Sorry for a long first post, but I was alarmed with this thread in light of the horror I went through.

O

Oniyogini

Cypro is not OTC here in Australia either...
DH likes to take a fat quarter or half of a tablet of Cypro to keep sleeping after he wakes up in the middle of the night, and also for his stuffy nose.
I have taken mostly 1/8-1/6 of a pill to catch up on sleep (after travel, restless nights..)
I alternate also with diphenhydramine sold here as Unisom (in 50mg gel capsule only) and is great for reducing nasty spider bite inflammation.
I really sleep with that. Cypro tends to make me feel groggy in the morning. Unisom doesn't.
Just started trying out doxylamine succinate. Full dose of 25mg made me sleep almost 12 hrs!
Quarter dose feels perfect. Unisom and DS are OTC.
I don't usually suffer allergies unless folks around me have collapsed from them. It has to be extremely bad.
Gonna carry all three for my trip to Europe as I want to sleep some on the plane.

tara

Pharmacy only I think? Ie you have to convince the pharmacist that you have good reason to take it. The box says to use it as ant--histamine or migraine abortant, so I think you might be able to get some if you say that you want it for one of those reasons.

Last edited:

ATP

DH likes to take a fat quarter or half of a tablet of Cypro to keep sleeping after he wakes up in the middle of the night, and also for his stuffy nose.
I have taken mostly 1/8-1/6 of a pill to catch up on sleep (after travel, restless nights..)
I alternate also with diphenhydramine sold here as Unisom (in 50mg gel capsule only) and is great for reducing nasty spider bite inflammation.
I really sleep with that. Cypro tends to make me feel groggy in the morning. Unisom doesn't.
Just started trying out doxylamine succinate. Full dose of 25mg made me sleep almost 12 hrs!
Quarter dose feels perfect. Unisom and DS are OTC.
I don't usually suffer allergies unless folks around me have collapsed from them. It has to be extremely bad.
Gonna carry all three for my trip to Europe as I want to sleep some on the plane.
I am fairly certain Chemist Warehouse sells Cypro.

DesertRat

So what's the final word on Zyrtec? Is it one of those with chlorine in it, or does it have the anti-estrogen benefits.

Pet Peeve

I took cetirizin and loratadin for many years but had to stop because they made me chronically angry. They are not good for the liver. My doctor said he called Zyrtec sourtec as in sour mood.

NathanK

Hi, I am new to forum, though I've been following for over a year now. I think I can share something important concerning antihistamines. I was on zyrtec for over ten years due to mild ocassional utricaria. Zyrtec did great, however after some time I decided to quit zyrtec, since I didn't want to be addicted to any medication. To my suprise it proved completely impossible. Each time I tried, I had terrible, driving me crazy attacs of hives all over my body. As if someone put me into the boiling water. The itching was killing, I could feel it even inside my bones.
I thought my primary hives entered more advanced stage. So I carried on with zyrtec, and was symptom free. Few years later I noticed my short time memory started declining. I was convinced it was due to long term zyrtec addiction, so I decided to quit again. Not possible. The same story each time I skipped a pill. I started digging and discovered a lot of information on the internet about zyrtec withdrawal side effects. As if I was reading my own story. There are thousands of people who cannot quit zyrtec since they experience unbearable, torturing itching. In my case utricaria was the primary symptom, but the same happens to people who took it for seasonal allergies, or othe allergic issues. Those who take up the fight to get rid of that vicious cycle suffer tremendously for weeks or months. Some cannot stand it and return to zyrtec. As far as i remember there were some cases of people experiencing the same symptoms from other antihistamines, like claritine and others. The manufacturer denies such reaction, the same with doctors. All in all I decided to quit any way. I inferred that after long term blocking of the receptors organism produces much higher quantities of histamine, since it cannot see it. So before i stopped zyrtec I bought a DAO enzyme supplement to break down excess histamine. It help tremendously. I wouldn't have done it without DAO. Previously, when I tried I scretched myseld till bleeding. Now I have been free of zyrtec for 3 months and I see improvements in sleep quality, brain fog and energy. I still get some hives occasionally, but I can stand it.
I just wanted to warn you, that antihistamines are no joke. Probably most people will not experince such terrible side effects, but you never know.
Here is the link to peoples tetimonials, if anyone was interested.

Itching from Cetirizine Withdrawal - The People's Pharmacy

Sorry for a long first post, but I was alarmed with this thread in light of the horror I went through.
Thanks for your cautionary tale. The body always finds ways to create homeostasis. It would not surprise me that histamine, like any other neurotransmitter or hormone, would down or upregulate or increase/decrease receptor sensitivity. I think Ray recommends Cypro for 5-7 days. I dont think any longer than a month or two max. Typically, he talks supps in the ballpark of a few days, but not longer than a few weeks.

The same goes for dopamine agonists I see people trying. Ray only recommended it for around 5 days and under certain conditions. Decreased dopaminergic sensitivity is a real thing long term. It probably also plays a part in addiction.

So what's the final word on Zyrtec? Is it one of those with chlorine in it, or does it have the anti-estrogen benefits
Zyrtec has chlorine and no anticholinergenic benefits. If it lowers histamine then it can lower estrogenic reactions, but older and newer antihistamines operate differently. Some cross the BBB (The sleepy ones) to block receptors and others just block histamine effects in the blood.

Last edited:

Luann

I am fighting allergies. The anti-histamines make me so drowsy and nearly ruined a movie date for me. Please no one spoil the end of Infinity War, I slept through it.
In this study, histamine raises the free fatty acids of these poor dogs.

mad539

I take desloratadine against minor allergies and to my suprise it increases my body temperature half an hour after taking it. Normaly i would freeze in the winter time despite having normal room temperature, but taking desloratadine makes me feel warm and my cold hands and feet get warm too.

Basal: 35.9°C
30-45 minutes after taking 5mg desloratadine: 36.6°C
(tested multiple times)

But i do eat eggs every morning, maybe i'm allergic to them which drops my body temperature, and after taking the anti-histamine it gets up again.

Gustav3Y

Most of these drugs like Cyproheptadine or Diphenhydramine have far more actions than on H1 receptor which is what Loratadine is supposed to antagonize.
They have muscarinic antagonist effects which will also cause those gut symptoms relief and get you drowsy more than expected.
Desloratadine for example it is claimed it does not have that effect unless a very high dose, supposedly it does cross BBB fast.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals