The Antihistamine Hydroxyzine Treats Anxiety

DaveFoster

Dr. Peat has wrote about the tendency of histamine (largely promoted by estrogen in the context of an inflammatory response) to promote nerve excitation and cause anxiety. Antihistamines can treat anxiety disorders, and they lack the negative effects of benzodiazepine drugs, such as mitochondrial fragmentation and predisposition to neurodegenerative diseases (including severe amnesia), as well as physical addiction and withdrawal symptoms including seizures.

Many drugs with antihistamine effects, including the tricyclic antidepressants (TCA's) prolong the QT-interval (a process detrimental the heart's ability to contract,) particularly amitriptyline and imipramine, but also the newer generation tetracyclic antidepressant mirtazapine, serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRI's), selective-serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI's) and so on.

Hydroxyzine mildly prolongs the QT-interval, but the drug doesn't possess the long-term neurodegenerative potential of the benzodiazepine drugs. The antihistamine cyproheptadine does not prolong the QT-interval, but it can cause severe weight gain if taken in therapeutic dosages to treat anxiety. Hydroxyzine has a lower propensity for weight gain, but chemically behaves similarly to cyproheptadine.

Hypothyroidism and estrogen lengthen the QT-interval, whereas progesterone shortens it. Euthyroidism and substances including progesterone, vitamin E, niacinamide, pregnenolone, l-theanine, and aspirin dissolved in hot water with glycine and baking soda to prevent stomach irritation, along with the consumption of a diet that minimizes gut inflammation can lower anxiety.

For anxiety disorders including social anxiety disorder (SAD) and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), some psychiatrists provide anxiolytics (anti-anxiety drugs) such as antihistamines with expectations of ECG testing to recognize cardiac (heart) abnormalities. Antihistamines can initially cause drowsiness, which can be minimized by consuming a small fraction of the therapeutic dose and titrating the dosage upwards over several weeks. Maintaining a relatively steady serum-concentration of the antihistamine through frequent dosing and careful monitoring for side effects, or taking the drug before bed can reduce variance in individual responses.

Hydroxyzine metabolizes in cetirizine, and Dr. Peat has mentioned the tendency for chlorinated carbon molecules to cause hepatic (liver) problems. Cyproheptadine by itself can inflame the liver, but neither cyproheptadine nor diphenhydramine contain chlorinated carbon molecules and therefore present a diminished risk for liver damage by this mechanism. Similarly to hydroxyzine, diphenhydramine mildly prolongs the QT-interval for cardiac repolarization.

"This multicenter, parallel (hydroxyzine [50 mg/day]; bromazepam [6 mg/day])...12 weeks of double-blind randomized treatment..Results at endpoint for percentage of responders (p =.003) and remission rates (p =.028), Clinical Global Impressions-Severity scale score (p =.001), maintenance of efficacy (p =.022), and Hospital Anxiety and Depression scale score on day 84 (p =.008) also confirmed the efficacy of hydroxyzine over placebo. The study showed no statistically significant difference between hydroxyzine and bromazepam.[a benzodiazepine drug] Except for drowsiness, which was more frequent with bromazepam, safety results were comparable in the 3 groups.

Hydroxyzine showed both efficacy and safety in the treatment of GAD and appears to be an effective alternative treatment to benzodiazepine prescription."

Reference: Efficacy and safety of hydroxyzine in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder: a 3-month double-blind study. - PubMed - NCBI

Originally posted on the Foster Your Health blog: The Antihistamine Hydroxyzine Treats Anxiety

Last edited:

Sheik

I've been using this drug and feeling like my heartbeat has been irregular. I've also been using mirtazapine. I suppose this is a bad combo?

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I've been using this drug and feeling like my heartbeat has been irregular. I've also been using mirtazapine. I suppose this is a bad combo?
I get the exact same symptoms. Both drugs can cause these effects, so I don't take hydroxyzine. I'm starting with diphenhydramine or doxylamine succinate.

bionicheart

what about Zyrtec since it's chemically similar? I've been taking Benadryl for several months now and I am starting to get cavities but no relief from hay fever along with worsening depression, dry eyes, and this inflammation around my rib cage that I have no clue what it is--my doctor just asked if I was drinking enough water and I seemed dehydrated...
I used to take Zyrtec for probably 8 years with no problems, it prevented hives, hay fever and I was socially more inclined during that time.. I don't recall why I got off zyrtec (stopped about 5 years ago)
Now I'm on benzos for GAD and social anxiety and I would like to get off them eventually.
I also worry about the anticholinergic effects of Benadryl/cypro in the long-run especially declining cognitive health (alongside benzos of course.) I think it's worthwhile experimenting with it again, any suggestions/thoughts? @DaveFoster
Thanks for sharing this, I found your article/blog/research really fascinating.
Thanks in advance

raypeatclips

what about Zyrtec since it's chemically similar? I've been taking Benadryl for several months now and I am starting to get cavities but no relief from hay fever along with worsening depression, dry eyes, and this inflammation around my rib cage that I have no clue what it is--my doctor just asked if I was drinking enough water and I seemed dehydrated...
I used to take Zyrtec for probably 8 years with no problems, it prevented hives, hay fever and I was socially more inclined during that time.. I don't recall why I got off zyrtec (stopped about 5 years ago)
Now I'm on benzos for GAD and social anxiety and I would like to get off them eventually.
I also worry about the anticholinergic effects of Benadryl/cypro in the long-run especially declining cognitive health (alongside benzos of course.) I think it's worthwhile experimenting with it again, any suggestions/thoughts? @DaveFoster
Thanks in advance

Peat suggested that when raising my vitamin D levels, I would find I didn't need to take an anti-histamine anymore for hayfever symptoms.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Thanks in advance
Cetirizine (Zyrtec) harms the liver, and it has a chlorinated hydrocarbon attached to its molecule, which makes it significantly estrogenic (and probably contributes to its negative effects on the liver.)

bionicheart

Cetirizine (Zyrtec) harms the liver, and it has a chlorinated hydrocarbon attached to its molecule, which makes it significantly estrogenic (and probably contributes to its negative effects on the liver.)
ahh, I didn't realize it was estrogenic. I don't have access to hydroxyzine...I am prescribed mirtazapine, but I feel lack of motivation, emotional flatness except for agitation, I have tried doses from 3.5mg-15mg. at 15mg I feel flat and jittery. Even at 3mg, my hands shake, assuming due to increased adrenaline response. I am too drowsy and worry about the my teeth from the dry mouth. Is Loratadine or allegra any safer than zyrtec? according to Wikipedia Zyrtec seems to be a safer option, but I don't need to increase my estrogen. I'm taking progesterone and being on a benzo, I don't want to take anything anticholinergic.

success23

I used to take it when i had a bout of insomnia. I usually feel a chronic chest tension that was resolved after a single dose of the drug. It's a 5-HT2A antagonist i think.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

ahh, I didn't realize it was estrogenic. I don't have access to hydroxyzine...I am prescribed mirtazapine, but I feel lack of motivation, emotional flatness except for agitation, I have tried doses from 3.5mg-15mg. at 15mg I feel flat and jittery. Even at 3mg, my hands shake, assuming due to increased adrenaline response. I am too drowsy and worry about the my teeth from the dry mouth. Is Loratadine or allegra any safer than zyrtec? according to Wikipedia Zyrtec seems to be a safer option, but I don't need to increase my estrogen. I'm taking progesterone and being on a benzo, I don't want to take anything anticholinergic.
Are you talking about 3.5-15 mg cetrizine or mirtazapine? A lot of the side effects of mirtazapine go away with time.

I've attached a picture of loratadine and circled the chlorine atom and highlighted the hydrocarbon (the hexagon with three lines.) Anything that looks like that would be a "chlorinated hydrocarbon" and has estrogenic effects.

Attachments

• Loratadine.PNG
    Loratadine.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 9

bionicheart

Are you talking about 3.5-15 mg cetrizine or mirtazapine? A lot of the side effects of mirtazapine go away with time.

I've attached a picture of loratadine and circled the chlorine atom and highlighted the hydrocarbon (the hexagon with three lines.) Anything that looks like that would be a "chlorinated hydrocarbon" and has estrogenic effects.
yeah, I was talking about mirtazapine. thanks for the clarification with the chemistry pic, it's usually way over my head...
Peat suggested that when raising my vitamin D levels, I would find I didn't need to take an anti-histamine anymore for hayfever symptoms.
Interesting. My labs in Novemeber revealed I was low in vitamin D, so I started supplementing, but recently stopped since it's in the normal range and attempting to get more D3 from the sun. But with spring booming in FL, it's just difficult to stay outdoors because the pollen is so bad, and the sun is harsh.
Benadryl and mirtazpine don't allieviate my allergy symptoms anymore, they just help a little with sleep. I've also had sinus infections the last three years (which I've never had before) I've been on Mirtazpine for almost 2 years now, usually staying under 8mg. And Benadryl off and on.
EDIT: in regards to looking for things to relieve my anxiety (moving away from benzos) l-theanine always gives me an immediate headache!

bionicheart

I used to take it when i had a bout of insomnia. I usually feel a chronic chest tension that was resolved after a single dose of the drug. It's a 5-HT2A antagonist i think.

@tisho23
Did you feel relief after a single dose of hydroxyzine or another drug mentioned in this thread...?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals