Famotidine, cyproheptadine antihistamine tolerance/ withdrawal :-(

Wendy B

Have you experienced anthistamine withdrawal? After six weeks of use of one or the other, I started getting bad histamine reactions again to foods and supplements I was tolerating on the medication/s. Before the antihistamines, I was down to 9 or so foods I could safely eat and most Peaty foods weren't on that safe list. Was trying to eat less starch and grains, more fruit/juice and collagen, and take supplements to try to improve my situation. Most of the six weeks I took famotidine as cypro increased my exhaustion much more than famotidine. You can't cut or crush famotidine so I can't taper off that one. If you've experienced tolerance withdrawal how did you handle it? If I switch back to cypro, is the mechanism of action so different from famotidine that it would work better? If i go back to cypro, there's still the possiblity of tolerance and withdrawal from cypro down the road and maybe not so far away. I feared this would happen. My experience is that most meds and many supplements affect the body's natural feedback loop, then causing tolerance and/or withdrawal - which can be hellish.. I've been through benzo withdrawal (taken as prescribed, not abused)...i dont recommend these....Thousands of others have been through this hell as u can see in the online support groups. I do wonder though if the health of our body affects whether one ends up experiencing tolerance/withdrawal or not. I wonder if I'm more prone to tolerance/withdrawal than the average person? I've seen some nasty exepriences posted about anti histamine withdrawal (headahes and arms itching so bad they drew blood for a month) though not so much famotidine. I hope going off it isn't so bad. Feedback welcome.

InChristAlone

I think cypro is the better drug as it doesn't mess with stomach acid levels as much. Try to take the least amount possible, I usually took .5mg-1 mg. But it is a bandaid or a stop gap. Ideal situation would be to go through the histamine as much as you can tolerate it, try using vitamin C instead. Then slowly start working on your digestion. What I think helped lower my allergies is optimizing digestion of proteins with betaine hcl and enzymes. The cypro can lead to worse liver health which could worsen allergies over time if nothing else changes.

OP
W

Wendy B

I think cypro is the better drug as it doesn't mess with stomach acid levels as much. Try to take the least amount possible, I usually took .5mg-1 mg. But it is a bandaid or a stop gap. Ideal situation would be to go through the histamine as much as you can tolerate it, try using vitamin C instead. Then slowly start working on your digestion. What I think helped lower my allergies is optimizing digestion of proteins with betaine hcl and enzymes. The cypro can lead to worse liver health which could worsen allergies over time if nothing else changes.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was taking one drop only of cypro (.5 mg) when I used it. Curious why do you say its better to experince the histamine reactions? Do you mean just so you don't "hide" the reaction? For me the reactions are intolerable/incapacitating. I was taking vit. C via Camu camu and trying to take enzymes and digestive supplements but was reacting to those. To nearly everything. I did get mast cell activation disorder dgx. I thought cypro was safe for the liver. Can you tell me more about liver probs with it? Famotidine also has long term risk :(

InChristAlone

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was taking one drop only of cypro (.5 mg) when I used it. Curious why do you say its better to experince the histamine reactions? Do you mean just so you don't "hide" the reaction? For me the reactions are intolerable/incapacitating. I was taking vit. C via Camu camu and trying to take enzymes and digestive supplements but was reacting to those. To nearly everything. I did get mast cell activation disorder dgx. I thought cypro was safe for the liver. Can you tell me more about liver probs with it? Famotidine also has long term risk :(
I used it for almost 2 yrs and my liver enzymes were raised. I don't use any drugs and my enzymes are perfect now. I would recommend ascorbic acid instead of food supplements. If the reactions are intolerable no don't just deal with it, but work on getting liver and bile and digestive system working. How much vitamin A is in your diet? Here on the group I'm sure you've noticed a lot of talk about vitamin A being toxic. Something to look into.

OP
W

Wendy B

I used it for almost 2 yrs and my liver enzymes were raised. I don't use any drugs and my enzymes are perfect now. I would recommend ascorbic acid instead of food supplements. If the reactions are intolerable no don't just deal with it, but work on getting liver and bile and digestive system working. How much vitamin A is in your diet? Here on the group I'm sure you've noticed a lot of talk about vitamin A being toxic. Something to look into.
Thanks for ur experience and suggestions. Yes , the low vitamin a diet is something i've heard about Something to consider

OP
W

Wendy B

Just realize that Part of my histamine symptoms coming back Might also be theanine tolerance/withdrawal (?) I was concurrently taking 200 to 400 mg a day of that also.

FitnessMike

I was taking low dose cypro for many months, if i knew it slowly destroy digestion i would only take it sporadically.

As with all drugs, nothing is safe long term approach is wise.

OP
W

Wendy B

I was taking low dose cypro for many months, if i knew it slowly destroy digestion i would only take it sporadically.

How is your digestion now? Were you able to get it fixed? Could you share how it messed you up? What is the mechanism of Cypro that does that?

Mr Joe

I took cypro for 2 years at 1 mg before bed. Cypro was helping digestion in my case and probably helped with histamine and stomach pain. Every time I eat bad food some cypro makes it better. Do you take enough collagen in your diet ? I take 30g per day and never going to stop, maybe it helps.

FitnessMike

How is your digestion now? Were you able to get it fixed? Could you share how it messed you up? What is the mechanism of Cypro that does that?
yes indigestion stopped, and I never had anything like that, food was coming up the pipe after every meal.

according to my readings, histamine is essential in stomach acid production, also all the white spots on my nails disappeared, and I had them for a very long time, also I started dreaming again lol.

OP
W

Wendy B

yes indigestion stopped, and I never had anything like that, food was coming up the pipe after every meal.

according to my readings, histamine is essential in stomach acid production, also all the white spots on my nails disappeared, and I had them for a very long time, also I started dreaming again lol.
I'm glad your digestion went back to normal after cypro use. Food coming up the pipes is I acid reflux isn't it? That makes sense as a rebound effect especially if you were taking famotidine/ Pepcid, but I didn't realize cypro Reduces stomach acid also. Actually a rebound/withdrawal effect would make the stomach more acidic it seems, Now that the anti histamine isn't blocking the acid when use is stopped.(?)

OP
W

Wendy B

Updating day two off of antihistamine Pepcid... Very thankfully, the severe food histamine rebound/ Withdrawal reactions seem basicaly over now. Yesterday had the Heavy breathing when I would eat even the low histamine food I've returned to ( No more o j, Colagen et cetera) Also Sudden drop in blood pressure very difficult to be upright, had the sudden severe sleepiness (Without ability to sleep ugh), body anxiety. But later in the day these symptoms were gone as Long as I ate low histamine.

My tummy has some pain, Hoping that will return to normal soon. Was fearing weeks of histamine hell, Knock on wood, it seems it's over. Not to say that going back on And then off them again in future would be equally easy. My experience with benzo's was each time I went on and off (even tapering), the rebounds were worse, although I didn't understand it at the time.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals