Could Cyproheptadine Have A Use In Benzo Withdrawal?

I'm asking this on behalf of someone else after learning about the mechanisms of action of cypro. They're currently trying to taper off valium after 3 years taking it. They were on 15mg and now are on 2.5mg. Lots of physiological withdrawal symptoms have been experienced and they'd like to alleviate them and sleep better.

Over time, tolerance to benzos result in a desensitization of GABA receptors and an increased sensitization of the excitatory neurotransmitter system (ie glutamate/NDMA).

On withdrawal, everything goes into hyperdrive and there's usually vast dysregulation. Characterised by a reversal of the positive effects of the drug - ie, sedation mirrored by insomnia, anti-convulsant properties mirrored by potential seizures, and so on. Cortisol / serotonin / etc are likely raised in withdrawal, since they are suppressed by administration of benzos.

Cypro has the following list of properties:

So, cyproheptadine does all of the following:
- blocks serotonin
- blocks estrogen effects (through histamine)
- blocks histamine (the most powerful anti-histamine in use)
- lowers prolactin
- lowers human growth hormone
- blocks cholinergic activity
- blocks muscarinic "receptors"
- lowers prostaglandin production (so is anti-aromatase like aspirin)
- lowers cortisol (especially at night)
- lowers adrenalin (especially at night)
- increases GABA release in the brain
- antagonizes glutamate (the main mechanism behind the most effective anti-depressant drugs)
- lowers endorphins
- has strong anesthetic properties
- has calcium channel blocking properties (treats heart disease and migraines, protects against EMR)
- lowers aldosterone (spares magnesium)

It looks like a lot of these might be favourable for someone going through withdrawal from benzos. A concern would be that it would somehow interrupt the healing process, or interact negatively if the person is tapering down and still has some concentration of benzos. But I don't understand the pharmacology enough to comment or advise them.

Would cypro be a helpful substance for benzo withdrawal?

Would there be any risks to taking them at the same time?

Greatly appreciated if you could comment if you have a better understanding

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
I'm asking this on behalf of someone else after learning about the mechanisms of action of cypro. They're currently trying to taper off valium after 3 years taking it. They were on 15mg and now are on 2.5mg. Lots of physiological withdrawal symptoms have been experienced and they'd like to alleviate them and sleep better.

Over time, tolerance to benzos result in a desensitization of GABA receptors and an increased sensitization of the excitatory neurotransmitter system (ie glutamate/NDMA).

On withdrawal, everything goes into hyperdrive and there's usually vast dysregulation. Characterised by a reversal of the positive effects of the drug - ie, sedation mirrored by insomnia, anti-convulsant properties mirrored by potential seizures, and so on. Cortisol / serotonin / etc are likely raised in withdrawal, since they are suppressed by administration of benzos.

Cypro has the following list of properties:

It looks like a lot of these might be favourable for someone going through withdrawal from benzos. A concern would be that it would somehow interrupt the healing process, or interact negatively if the person is tapering down and still has some concentration of benzos. But I don't understand the pharmacology enough to comment or advise them.

Would cypro be a helpful substance for benzo withdrawal?

Would there be any risks to taking them at the same time?

Greatly appreciated if you could comment if you have a better understanding

Benzo withdrawal is due to not enough GABA signalling after stopping the GABA agonist. So, trying some taurine may help. Cyproheptadine may also help but it is usually more effective for withdrawals involving excess serotonin - alcohol and opioids.

passivity

Benzo withdrawal is due to not enough GABA signalling after stopping the GABAuuu9up agonist. So, trying some taurine may help. Cyproheptadine may also help but it is usually more effective for withdrawals involving excess serotonin - alcohol and opioids.

What if taurine doesnt help? It helps my digestion and improves my hair quality but doesnt help the anxiety and panic.

Progesterone works very well for panic but I still have underlying anxiety, I'm also taking tianeptine, both of them have been wonderful in helping me cope with the anxiety and low energy, motivation... but the anxiety is still there.

I ordered some DHT too.. so we'll see, maybe alongside DHEA and the others I already mentioned I'll work.

Theanine worked surprisingly well the first 2 months but then it stopped, I've also tried bacopa and rhodiola without any success.

Propranolol works well alongside prog and tia, but it makes my eyes hurt for some strange reason. Also I dont know about using it daily. When I did that and reached tolerance some time ago I developed the panic disorder that Im trying to fix right now, also got nasty facial ticks and severe akhatisia.

Maybe I should try clodinine instead? What would be better for the anxiety, clonidine or cypro?

I also tried cutting out all starch for 3 weeks. Didnt notice any difference, also.. the starch is just so delicious, it helps to cope with all the stress. (French fries specially)

If you have any suggestions I'd like to hear them.:)

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals