citalopeam protracted withdrawal symptoms in Parkinsonism pt. on levo-carb and off Citalopram 3 1/2

LeslieV.Barns

i was diagnosed with idiopathic parkinsonism in 2012 - by a neurolologist/MDS at a major hospital. She will prescribe things without saying a word about the side effects or adverse effects etc. in 2014 she prescribed Citalopram (Celexa) an SSRI antidepressant to help me withdraw from Clonazepam, a benzodiazepine because it was giving nothing but side effects from day one. Not one word was said about adverse effects of SSRI's and the fact that some people can never get off them. with great determination and anguish, I tapered of it, but the adverse effects actually got worse after i was off the drug. Now i find out that neither of my doctors believes in protracted withdrawal, brain damage, or anything else bad can come from these things, and i am advised to go back on it. But it was awful when i was on it. there is reputed to be no cure - will anything help my brain/gut recover? I am developing food hypersensitivities (anaphyllaxis), pain, much worsened parkinsonism symptoms, neuropathy in my legs and toes on both sides, have lost half of body weight so am now skin and bones. I have to take levo-carb (generic sinemet) every 2 hrs. Anyone got any ideas?

tara

Sorry your have such a rough time, and sorry you don't have drs you find more helpful and informative.

What information do you have about your general metabolism? Numbers for body temps, heart rate, thyroid lab tests? If thyroid metabolism is low, that tends to mean running more on stress hormones, which tends to promote catabolism over repair and maintenance.

Did you investigate pregnenlolone, as mentioned in your previous thread? I think some people here have mentioned it as a possible tactic for recovery from SSRIs, and as aguilaroja said in your previous thread, it seems to have some neuroprotective effects?

Losing so much body weight sounds serious, in addition to the CNS issues.
How is your diet? What foods do you seem to be able to eat without adverse reactions? How much are you managing to eat?

Richiebogie

I would have thought doctors would prescribe escitalopram (lexapro) these days!

That is similar to citalopram (celexa) but meant to have fewer side effects. It is also a newer patent - which may not mean better!

Still if you can thrive without either then that would be the best option.

Have you tried Ray Peat style eating?

2 litres Orange Juice
2 litres Low fat milk (without any additives)
2 cups Coffee
Jelly or aspic from chicken bones or lamb shanks
Pinch of salt
Vitamin E supplements (or mango, raspberries, banana, shrimp)
Vitamin K2 supplements (or aged cheese)

Richiebogie said:
post 114970 I would have thought doctors would prescribe escitalopram (lexapro) these days!

That is similar to citalopram (celexa) but meant to have fewer side effects. It is also a newer patent - which may not mean better!

Still if you can thrive without either then that would be the best option.

Have you tried Ray Peat style eating?

2 litres Orange Juice
2 litres Low fat milk (without any additives)
2 cups Coffee
Jelly or aspic from chicken bones or lamb shanks
Pinch of salt
Vitamin E supplements (or mango, raspberries, banana, shrimp)
Vitamin K2 supplements (or aged cheese)

That's like esomeprazole that's supposed to be different than omeprazole :ss

Last edited by a moderator:

Richiebogie

Yes, splitting out 1 of a pair of stereoisomers seems to be a useful technique for the pharmaceutical industry.

Enantiopurification perhaps?

messtafarian

Oh my God I am so sorry to hear this.

First of all, these things don't really cause "brain damage" -- they just mess up the neurotransmitters in ways science doesn't really understand. Especially when you are off them your brain will recover if you're worried about that. There are ways to rewire the neurotransmitters through pharmacotherapy, as any recreational drug user will attest.

Second -- if I were you I would invest in a good Lyme disease test. Have you had a brain MRI done? How is your substantia nigra looking? I'm suspicious of "idiopathic" Parkinsons since there are so many things that can cause Parkinson-*ism*. Toxins, drug reactions, and especially viral infections and Lyme.

A Peat inspired diet is a good start. I think Peat would definitely recommend the investigation of METHYLENE BLUE for your Parkinson*ism*.

Also, most of the symptoms you're describing are not symptoms of Parkinsons. I would bet money you have some kind of bug or multiple infections.

mujuro

Forum Supporter
Definitely give methylene blue a chance. I know the claim is that the MAOI effects are only apparent as you start dosing in the tens of mgs, but I have noticed that even as low as 1mg it seems to reverse the sexual side effects of my SSRIs. Allow me to explain.

On escitalopram, it takes me a long time to climax, from what I can only call reduced sensitivity. When I do not take escitalopram, I tend to climax too fast, as everything down there is VERY sensitive - this is a problem. I don't necessarily consider "too long" to be an issue, because that would sometimes happen even before I used SSRIs. I noticed that when I began taking methylene blue in conjunction with my SSRI, I almost couldn't climax AT ALL. I tested this by skipping my SSRI for a few days and adding in methylene blue, and the effect was such that it felt like I was still on the SSRI.

Other than this, I have no symptoms or effects which tell me what is happening on a neurological level, but based on this one effect alone I think MB is a good candidate for those coming off SSRIs.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom