Benadryl And Cyproheptadine Protect From Endotoxin Poisoning

haidut

Forum Supporter
Some people on the forum have posted that they have increased red blood count (RBC) on their lab tests. Other people chimed in that this may be due to high testosterone. However, after listening to one of Peat's interviews where he said that "anything that creates hypoxia will increase RBC" I realized that endotoxin is another likely explanation for people's increased RBC. I did some digging around on PubMed and Peat's statements seem to be confirmed. Endotoxin creates an inflammatory reaction in bone marrow, which results in an increase in RBC. Bendaryl and cyproheptadine seem to be protective against those detrimental effects. However, I don't have access to the full study so I can't get the dosage. If someone can get the full study I would appreciate it.
More importantly, the study concludes with the statement that antihistamines ans antiserotonin agents seem to be protective against the entire cascade of reactions caused by endotoxin, which makes cyproheptadine a very valuable tool given it blocks both histamine and serotonin. For people that don't get effects from carrot salad or cannot tolerate charcoal, cyproheptadine may be an option worth considering. Peat did write that Bendaryl protects the liver from endotoxin effects but I don't remember him saying the entire endotoxin cascade can be controlled with these cheap and widely available drugs, especially endoxotin effects on bone marrow and the associated effects on a large number of blood parameters.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/442

"...The bone marrow reactions (that is, decrease of nucleated cell counts and increase of red blood cell counts) of mouse bone were observed 1 hr after injection of endotoxin and peaked after 18 hr. These reactions were significantly inhibited when diphenhydramine, promethazine (antihistamines), chlorpromazine (antiserotonin), or cyproheptadine (antihistamine and antiserotonin) was given 30 min before endotoxin. Such bone marrow reactions were also induced with histamine or serotonin and peaked 1 hr after administration. The histamine-induced changes were inhibited by prior treatment with diphenhydramine. These reactions were also produced by injection of a small amount of both histamine and serotonin, whereas no change was found when mice were given a single injection of a larger dose of histamine or serotonin. These results indicate that histamine and serotonin released in mice at the initial stage after endotoxin synergistically trigger the bone marrow reactions, which then continue in the presence of further mediators. Antihistamines and antiserotonins are considered to hinder the whole process of reactions produced by endotoxin."

Aspekt

Cypro is such great stuff, such a broad spectrum of helpful effects, though I'm still waiting Peat's answer on the 20 questions thread about whether sustained used would have undesirable side effects. The idea of using it for just a week or two to stabilize doesn't seem enough for me personally, I do best taking it continuously.

Peata

Aspekt said:
Cypro is such great stuff, such a broad spectrum of helpful effects, though I'm still waiting Peat's answer on the 20 questions thread about whether sustained used would have undesirable side effects. The idea of using it for just a week or two to stabilize doesn't seem enough for me personally, I do best taking it continuously.

how much are you taking per day?

i went back on it a couple nights ago, at 1 mg., but wonder if I can get any effect from 1/2 mg per night over long term.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
haidut said:
Some people on the forum have posted that they have increased red blood count (RBC) on their lab tests. Other people chimed in that this may be due to high testosterone. However, after listening to one of Peat's interviews where he said that "anything that creates hypoxia will increase RBC" I realized that endotoxin is another likely explanation for people's increased RBC. I did some digging around on PubMed and Peat's statements seem to be confirmed. Endotoxin creates an inflammatory reaction in bone marrow, which results in an increase in RBC. Bendaryl and cyproheptadine seem to be protective against those detrimental effects. However, I don't have access to the full study so I can't get the dosage. If someone can get the full study I would appreciate it.
More importantly, the study concludes with the statement that antihistamines ans antiserotonin agents seem to be protective against the entire cascade of reactions caused by endotoxin, which makes cyproheptadine a very valuable tool given it blocks both histamine and serotonin. For people that don't get effects from carrot salad or cannot tolerate charcoal, cyproheptadine may be an option worth considering. Peat did write that Bendaryl protects the liver from endotoxin effects but I don't remember him saying the entire endotoxin cascade can be controlled with these cheap and widely available drugs, especially endoxotin effects on bone marrow and the associated effects on a large number of blood parameters.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/442

"...The bone marrow reactions (that is, decrease of nucleated cell counts and increase of red blood cell counts) of mouse bone were observed 1 hr after injection of endotoxin and peaked after 18 hr. These reactions were significantly inhibited when diphenhydramine, promethazine (antihistamines), chlorpromazine (antiserotonin), or cyproheptadine (antihistamine and antiserotonin) was given 30 min before endotoxin. Such bone marrow reactions were also induced with histamine or serotonin and peaked 1 hr after administration. The histamine-induced changes were inhibited by prior treatment with diphenhydramine. These reactions were also produced by injection of a small amount of both histamine and serotonin, whereas no change was found when mice were given a single injection of a larger dose of histamine or serotonin. These results indicate that histamine and serotonin released in mice at the initial stage after endotoxin synergistically trigger the bone marrow reactions, which then continue in the presence of further mediators. Antihistamines and antiserotonins are considered to hinder the whole process of reactions produced by endotoxin."

Btw, the doses in rats used for both drugs were quite high. Bendaryl (diphenhydramine) was used at a dose of 60mg/kg and cyproheptadine was used in a dose of 50mg/kg. This makes their human equivalent dosages in the range of 400mg-600mg daily. However, we should keep in mind that these doses were used to abolish completely the endotoxin process from a LETHAL dose of endotoxin. So, I think for more long term control of smaller endotoxin attacks, a much smaller dose would suffice. I personally get immediate relief from 4mg cyproheptadine whenever I eat starchy foods that give me endotoxin response (e.g. rice).
I have attached the full study for reference. Take a look at Table 1 for a list on all the substances that helped abolish the endotoxin process. Many of them are dopaminergic drugs and some are NSAID.

Attachments

• J R Soc Med-1980-Wright-431-6.pdf
    951.6 KB · Views: 255

Aspekt

Peata said:
Aspekt said:

how much are you taking per day?

i went back on it a couple nights ago, at 1 mg., but wonder if I can get any effect from 1/2 mg per night over long term.

I'm not taking any at the moment as I just got some Tianeptine to try. I think I recall peat saying some people did well with just an 1/8th of a tablet, or .5mg. Not sure where though.

ddjd

Is there anyway benadryl could somehow increase estrogen?

When my eyes go very blood shot I take that as a sign of high estrogen and when I took diphenhydramine once I got very blood shot eyes

passivity

So did he answer them already?

cjm

Endotoxin creates an inflammatory reaction in bone marrow, which results in an increase in RBC. Bendaryl and cyproheptadine seem to be protective against those detrimental effects. However, I don't have access to the full study so I can't get the dosage. If someone can get the full study I would appreciate it.

I found the original study on sci-hub. It has the same summary as the one you quoted in the OP.

This study...

Btw, the doses in rats used for both drugs were quite high. Bendaryl (diphenhydramine) was used at a dose of 60mg/kg and cyproheptadine was used in a dose of 50mg/kg. This makes their human equivalent dosages in the range of 400mg-600mg daily. However, we should keep in mind that these doses were used to abolish completely the endotoxin process from a LETHAL dose of endotoxin. So, I think for more long term control of smaller endotoxin attacks, a much smaller dose would suffice. I personally get immediate relief from 4mg cyproheptadine whenever I eat starchy foods that give me endotoxin response (e.g. rice).
I have attached the full study for reference. Take a look at Table 1 for a list on all the substances that helped abolish the endotoxin process. Many of them are dopaminergic drugs and some are NSAID.

....is not the same as the OP, which is here: Sci-Hub | Inhibitory Effects of Antihistamines and Antiserotonins on the Bone Marrow Reactions Produced by Escherichia coli Endotoxin in Mice. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 132(6), 611–616 | 10.1093/infdis/132.6.611

They used 40 μg LPS. They used 200 μg in the other study.

Benadryl is 1.1 mg/kg HED and cyproheptadine is .6 mg/kg HED

~~~

"Table 1 shows the effects of administration of the potent antihistamine DPH (diphenhydramine) on the bone marrow reactions caused by 40 μg of endotoxin. The injection of endotoxin resulted in a significant decrease in nucleated cell counts and a significant increase in RBC counts. Both of these changes in the bone marrow were remarkably inhibited by 600 μg of DPH given 30 min before endotoxin. Doses of <300 μg of DPH had no effect on these responses. The changes induced by injection of 5 μg of Salmonella minnesota endotoxin were also significantly inhibited by 700 μg of DPH. (This endotoxin preparation was kindly supplied through the courtesy of Dr. O. Liideritz, Max-Planck-Institut, Freiburg, Germany.) The bone marrow changes were inhibited by pretreatment for 30-60 min with DPH but were not inhibited when DPH was given simultaneously with or 1 hr after the endotoxin."

1619470431832.png

"CHD [cyproheptadine], a serotonin antagonist 613 that also has antihistaminic activity, was given to groups of five mice each 30 min before endotoxin. As shown in table 4, bone marrow reactions were significantly inhibited by 250 μg of CHD, whereas the increase in RBC counts was not inhibited by 125 μg."

1619470192228.png

Attachments

• hirata1975.pdf
    506.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 1619471471627.png
    1619471471627.png
    39 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: