Theanine Is An Antihistamine

SQu

Theanine stopped a bad case of hay fever yesterday ( uncontrollable sneezing, itching swelling skin, weakness, usually have to go to bed worn out from non stop sneezing and sleep it off). Cypro heptadine helped a bit, briefly, aspirin ditto, salt a bit more, but theanine just stopped it for good. Thanks for the tip. Amazing stuff.

keith

I get bad headaches from theanine, at least in "larger" doses, like 200 mg, which I think is the "recommended" dose. After reading this, I guess I'll try a much smaller dose (seasonal allergies are KILLING me today, and although benedryl works, I don't like the "headspace" it gives me if I take too much or take it too often). Anyone have any idea why it might cause that reaction or how to counter it? It seems to be a cumulative effect; I could probably take 200 mg now without getting a headache, but if I try to take it with caffeine, which I take more frequently, I'll be in pain after the second or third time, and if memory serves from my last experiment, even 200 mg /day in back to back days (or maybe 3-4 days in a row) is enough. I've seen the recommendation to take it mg for mg with caffeine, but would need to seriously reduce my caffeine intake to make that work.

keith

100 mg seems to work at least as well as benedryl without the groggy feeling benedryl gives me. So far, no headaches after taking 3 doses at 100 mg each over about 18 hours. I've got a bit of a headache may be coming on feeling, though. May have to see if a smaller dose works. It does seem to take ovee an hour to kick in. I initially started with 50 mg last night, then took another 50 an hour later after no noticeable effect, but I've seen a definite improvement in allergy symptoms today.

Waynish

I don't think it is fair to promote this substance with so many negative side effects being posted - until they're explained reasonably well.

ddjd

In addition to its anti-serotonergic properties, theanine appears to lower histamine release and act as a mast cells stabilizer. Drugs that act as mast cell stabilizers, for instance Ketotifen, and currently one of the most promising agents for treating gut conditions like IBS and Chron's. Most pharma companies have at least one such drug in the pipeline, as there is also evidence that those drugs may work for certain cancers.

Theanine is a candidate amino acid for pharmacological stabilization of mast cells. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Theanine inhibited compound 48/80-induced systemic anaphylactic shock and ear swelling responses. IgE-mediated passive cutaneous anaphylaxis was inhibited by the oral administration or pharmaceutical acupuncture of theanine. Histamine release from mast cells was decreased with the treatment of theanine. Theanine also repressed phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate and calcium ionophore A23187-induced TNF-α, IL-1β, IL-6, and IL-8 secretion by suppressing NF-κB activation. Furthermore, theanine suppressed the activation of caspase-1 and the expression of receptor interacting protein-2. The current study demonstrates for the first time that theanine might possess mast cell-stabilizing capabilities."

Unfortunately I don't have full access to the study so I don't know what the oral dosage was, but most human studies find that 400mg is plenty and no additional benefit is seen above that.
Yes it definitely works. I think it also reduces Adrenaline too

ddjd

I just took about 500 mg of a new powder and my nasal passages are so clear and breathable, and my veins are not bulging at all. I hope the NO thing isn't true. I feel like I've got something going for me here in theanine - it's pretty safe and available and does multiple good things for me. Would be a shame to lose that.
I've been using it for a year or so and I know the symptoms of high NO due to some stupid pre peat arginine supplementation. And I've never noticed high NO symptoms from theanine.

Only issue I've had is if i over do it with theanine, like every day, it can cause slight panic attack feelings. So I just stick to every 2/3 days

tomisonbottom

I've been using it for a year or so and I know the symptoms of high NO due to some stupid pre peat arginine supplementation. And I've never noticed high NO symptoms from theanine.

Only issue I've had is if i over do it with theanine, like every day, it can cause slight panic attack feelings. So I just stick to every 2/3 days

What kind do you use? And how much is overdoing it?

Adelina

Just read that part again. I think with the change of season to Fall, less light and probably thyroid dropping some, the serotonin, histamine, estrogen increases. I'm going to keep at the goal of lowering serotonin because I do not want to go through what I did last Fall and Winter with respiratory ailments.
Maybe silly question but what’s the good in lowering serotonin?
I also take theanine and I really love it, it makes me calmer, the only thing is as time goes by it seems I need to increase the dose, anyway what I need to know is how good is theanine to depression which I suffer from, and to allergies, can you please help me?

Peata

Maybe silly question but what’s the good in lowering serotonin?
I also take theanine and I really love it, it makes me calmer, the only thing is as time goes by it seems I need to increase the dose, anyway what I need to know is how good is theanine to depression which I suffer from, and to allergies, can you please help me?
As I recall, I had to keept taking higher doses and it wasn't working out, so I moved on to other medication.

griesburner

I tried theanine two times. And every time i got a strange feeling like panic, too. Even with only small doses. Maybe it was placebo but i dont understand that something thats good for anxiety could cause panic feelings?

Maybe i understand the term anxiety wrong and when people speak of anxiety they mean only such things as social anxiety? Cause i dont have social anxiety in any way but "bodily" anxiety, as hypochondriac feelings. Maybe thats two different things i dont know,

But every time i took theanine what i could definitly say is that i recognize waay more details around me. Small things that i havent noticed before around me. Thats not a bad thing but maybe cause of that different feeling i get anxiety.

Waynish

I tried theanine two times. And every time i got a strange feeling like panic, too. Even with only small doses. Maybe it was placebo but i dont understand that something thats good for anxiety could cause panic feelings?

Maybe i understand the term anxiety wrong and when people speak of anxiety they mean only such things as social anxiety? Cause i dont have social anxiety in any way but "bodily" anxiety, as hypochondriac feelings. Maybe thats two different things i dont know,

But every time i took theanine what i could definitly say is that i recognize waay more details around me. Small things that i havent noticed before around me. Thats not a bad thing but maybe cause of that different feeling i get anxiety.

Not uncommon. Hundreds of reports of similar reactions online. I also avoid it - I'm confident we'll find out that at least in some people it has a mechanism of actions that explains these negative effects.

D

danishispsychic

ok, now i owe my dr an apology. after 88 blood tests, 4 urine 5 saliva tests... and on and on... to see WTH was going on with me he said you need b12 shots, B1, vitd, and prenegnolone. the only thing that he missed was my ginormous parasite infection but that is because the testing is super lame. im going to try to back on it and see what happens and try it for real. thanks for the post. i feel bad now that i super bad yelped him. well, not that bad.....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals