Nicotine May Help Asthma And Probably Other Inflammatory Conditions

nicotine in very small quantities inhibits the inflammatory leukotrenes. Cotinine found with nicotine in tobacco does not.

Nicotine Inhibits FcεRI-Induced Cysteinyl Leukotrienes and Cytokine Production without Affecting Mast Cell Degranulation Through α7/α9/α10-Nicotinic Receptors

Smokers are less likely to develop some inflammatory and allergic diseases. In Brown-Norway rats, nicotine inhibits several parameters of allergic asthma, including the production of Th2 cytokines and the cysteinyl leukotriene LTC4. Cysteinyl leukotrienes are primarily produced by mast cells, and these cells play a central role in allergic asthma. Mast cells express a high-affinity receptor for IgE (FcεRI). Following its cross-linking, cells degranulate and release preformed inflammatory mediators (early phase) and synthesize and secrete cytokines/chemokines and leukotrienes (late phase). The mechanism by which nicotine modulates mast cell activation is unclear. Using α-bungarotoxin binding and quantitative PCR and PCR product sequencing, we showed that the rat mast/basophil cell line RBL-2H3 expresses nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) α7, α9, and α10; exposure to exceedingly low concentrations of nicotine (nanomolar), but not the biologically inactive metabolite cotinine, for ≥8 h suppressed the late phase (leukotriene/cytokine production) but not degranulation (histamine and hexosaminidase release). These effects were unrelated to those of nicotine on intracellular free calcium concentration but were causally associated with the inhibition of cytosolic phospholipase A2 activity and the PI3K/ERK/NF-κB pathway, including phosphorylation of Akt and ERK and nuclear translocation of NF-κB. The suppressive effect of nicotine on the late-phase response was blocked by the α7/α9-nAChR antagonists methyllycaconitine and α-bungarotoxin, as well as by small interfering RNA knockdown of α7-, α9-, or α10-nAChRs, suggesting a functional interaction between α7-, α9-, and α10-nAChRs that might explain the response of RBL cells to nanomolar concentrations of nicotine. This “hybrid” receptor might serve as a target for novel antiallergic/antiasthmatic therapies.

YourUniverse

Haidut spoke on a podcast that nicotine may be useful, but promotes acetylcholine.

Danny Roddy said that vaping has pro-inflammatory chemicals.

The best dose seems to be gum, or patches? 1-2mg/day or so

yerrag

I was on youtube and there's this guy who mentioned nicotine to be helpful against endotoxins but he was rattling off quickly so there was no specifics given. Wouldn't niacinamide be just as helpful?

Broken man

Haidut spoke on a podcast that nicotine may be useful, but promotes acetylcholine.

Danny Roddy said that vaping has pro-inflammatory chemicals.

The best dose seems to be gum, or patches? 1-2mg/day or so
Can I ask you which podcast? Thank you.

YourUniverse

Can I ask you which podcast? Thank you.
Im sorry, there are so many interviews that I probably wouldnt have been able to locate the exact quote from the exact interview even at the time of posting.

Its a bit fuzzy, but I think a super chat or someone asked haidut his thoughts on nicotine, and he said along the lines of there are better pro-metabolism things, and he personally wouldnt exceed about 1mg daily. DR said this I think in an episode with Ray.

professor_sue

Hi all, I would agree that nicotine--at least in patch form--can help out with digestive issues, believe it or not. Check out this podcast with Ben Greenfield and Diana Driscoll. It centers on issues with the vagus nerve, but the vagus nerve is implicated and involved with so many things ... to numerous to count. Diana used a nicotine patch on her abdomen over the ileocecal valve to get things moving. It worked as a short term fix, but the key factor was triggering acetycholine which is needed for optimal vagus nerve function among other things. I have personally suffered from IBS and constipation for over 25 years and counting. I have to take various measure, the most recent with the patch is pretty drastic, but I have bought Diana's product, Parasym, which has B1 and acetylcholine in it and some other things, and I think it helps. My issues are with misfirings and slow gut motility. It does not matter what "diet" I am on. I have issues most of the time. It sucks, but I have a lot of tools in muy toolbox. I am also hypothyroid--no amount of dessicated thyroid or carbs can seem to raise my forever low temperature--and hormone imabalances, despite being on HRT (I am 51, menopausal ... good times ... NOT! dealing with hormone issues has been awful for me for my entire life, sadly). Anyway, here is the link to the website for the podcast. If anyone suffers from digestive problems or other vagus nerve issues, check it out! A Little-Known Secret To Fix Your Vagus Nerve, Banish Constipation, Use Nicotine As A Biohack & Much More! - Ben Greenfield Fitness - Diet, Fat Loss and Performance Advice ** As for the Vitamin B1 (thiamine) issue, that is definitely a "thing" and I have recently begun mega-dosing again, and wow, what a difference. Thiamine is also connected with acetylcholine. Elliot Overton from EO Nutrition has absolutely fantastic info on that and so much more (on YouTube). Have an awesome day, everyone!! I wish you all the very best as we navigate these incredibly turblulent times. Cheers and peace, Sue

Back
Top Bottom