Why do I react so differently to the use of antihistamines on different days?

-Luke-

Sometimes when I have sleep problems I use an antihistamine called doxylamine succinate. It's the only thing I've ever tried that helps when it's really bad. The product I use is drops. About 1mg doxylaminesuccinate per drop, so very easy to dose, unlike tablets. You use them in some water. I usually use 8 or 9 drops when I just can't sleep.

What I find interesting is how different the effects are the next day. In the last few days my sleep was quite problematic and I used the drops relatively often. In the night from Thursday to Friday I took 8 drops. The next day I felt like a zombie. Couldn't get out of bed, very sluggish and low energy throughout the day. Like a bad hangover. The typical antihistamine symptoms. In the night from Friday to Saturday I took 18 drops because the first dose didn't do it. But on Saturday I felt fine. No symptoms, normal energy levels (by my standards), no sluggishness. In both nights I used to drops almost exactly at the same time and with the same amount of water, so no difference there. I also had circumstances in the past were it was the other way around: Higher dose and good feeling the first night, lower dose and bad feeling the next night.

It's almost like there's no correlation between dose/time and symptoms the next day.

Are there any explanations for why I react so differently on different days?

HeyThere

My pure guess is how much is still stored in your liver?

I've been a horrible insomniac for over 20 years, drank like a fish and it worked for years but then stopped working and made things so much worse. Quit drinking this past New Year's Eve and started taking omega-3 (I've since learned omega-3 is a no no around here, but I get zero fats from foods due to salicylate intolerance which is why I even started the fish oil). Turns out, it lowered my blood pressure almost immediately, did something to me that I slept like a baby through the whole night (!) ever since (this has been 3 weeks now). I have severe stress and worries in my life so about a week ago I also added CBD gummies (just cut up portions). Now I can't stop sleeping HA! Need to balance it all out, but the sleep is quality like i have never had before. I thought quitting the alcohol would have been the answer, and in a way it was, but these 2 added things have made it so I sleep through the night which is unheard of for me.

Just thought I'd add what is working for me. Again, I think when the liver isn't purged, things accumulate and act differently in your body.

OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

I've been a horrible insomniac for over 20 years, drank like a fish and it worked for years but then stopped working and made things so much worse. Quit drinking this past New Year's Eve and started taking omega-3 (I've since learned omega-3 is a no no around here, but I get zero fats from foods due to salicylate intolerance which is why I even started the fish oil). Turns out, it lowered my blood pressure almost immediately, did something to me that I slept like a baby through the whole night (!) ever since (this has been 3 weeks now). I have severe stress and worries in my life so about a week ago I also added CBD gummies (just cut up portions). Now I can't stop sleeping HA! Need to balance it all out, but the sleep is quality like i have never had before. I thought quitting the alcohol would have been the answer, and in a way it was, but these 2 added things have made it so I sleep through the night which is unheard of for me.

Just thought I'd add what is working for me. Again, I think when the liver isn't purged, things accumulate and act differently in your body.
Thanks for your reply!

My first guess was also that it has to do something with the liver. That on days when I do not tolerate it well my liver is burdened by something else. What puzzles me is the difference within just 24 hours. I haven't drank any alcohol since September 2017 and never much before that. But I experienced some pain in the liver area 3 or 4 years ago when I used doxylamine a lot.

I have thought about trying some cbd oil before sleep. Or in case I'm desperate I may try some weed before bed, since they want to legalize it in Germany.

HeyThere

Thanks for your reply!

My first guess was also that it has to do something with the liver. That on days when I do not tolerate it well my liver is burdened by something else. What puzzles me is the difference within just 24 hours. I haven't drank any alcohol since September 2017 and never much before that. But I experienced some pain in the liver area 3 or 4 years ago when I used doxylamine a lot.

I have thought about trying some cbd oil before sleep. Or in case I'm desperate I may try some weed before bed, since they want to legalize it in Germany.
Wie gehts :)

Maybe the liver is just burdened by the previous dose of antihistamines is what I meant.

OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

Wie gehts :)

Maybe the liver is just burdened by the previous dose of antihistamines is what I meant.
That makes sense. But last week it was actually the other way around. I reacted negatively too the first dose and felt good after the second dose (which was higher than the first). That's what's puzzling to me. In theory it should have been the other way around.

HeyThere

That makes sense. But last week it was actually the other way around. I reacted negatively too the first dose and felt good after the second dose (which was higher than the first). That's what's puzzling to me. In theory it should have been the other way around.
I've had that as well (I take tiny amounts of benadryl). Again, just using my own experience and instincts, in my case I believe my histamine was so high that taking Benadryl caused an instant reaction, instant nausea, "weird feelings", enough of a reaction to make me cough and maybe even throw up a bit at times. A lot of histamine is made in the stomach. Bad digestion and fermenting foods in the stomach can raise histamine like crazy. For what it's worth, I'm having a lot of successes with the omega-3 pills and cbd gummies these past 3 weeks. My food intolerances have quieted down substantially, my whole nervous system is calmed. I'm going to the bathroom a lot (losing weight, too) and I'm even able to drink more than 1 small cup of coffee without my whole system freaking out and instead giving me nice energy for a while. I also feel the open flow of Nitric Oxide throughout my whole system and it feels wonderful and loose. BTW, taking L-Ornithine was the beginning of this health reversal for me as it raised my apparent non existent Nitric Oxide levels. This is 20+ years of bad health I am trying to reverse, so this quick result is exciting to me. Skin still healing as well, which tells me my insides are healing, too.

Whichway?

Maybe the higher dose is making you sleep better, so next day you feel great and have lots of energy, like you should after a good sleep. Perhaps the lower dose does get you off to sleep but not a very good one and so you feel sluggish the following day.

HeyThere

Maybe the higher dose is making you sleep better, so next day you feel great and have lots of energy, like you should after a good sleep. Perhaps the lower dose does get you off to sleep but not a very good one and so you feel sluggish the following day.

Could also be antihistamine hangover. Too much accumulated and you feel "hungover". Been there, done that as well. BTW, I rarely take Benadryl/Zyrtec. It was mostly to counter act the high histamine I got from salicylate accumulation. The fish oil is SUPPOSED to fix the salicylate sensitivity, and thusly fix the high histamine. Problem is, I'm supposed to take an ungodly high amount of it, and I refuse to. I'm already coughing up slimy oil all day as it is. BTW, fish oil also kills bacteria/virus/yeast/etc.

BTW, a lot of times reactions can come days later. This makes it tough to assess "I did this, then this happened".

Jaydogg23

Thanks for your post on this. I have noticed when I eat fresh, wild, salmon 🍣 frequently during the week I tend to sleep better as well. I know Omega-3s are anti-Peat, but so is bad sleep/insomnia. Can you tell me the Omega 3 and CBD brand/dosage you were using to get better sleep?

HeyThere

Thanks for your post on this. I have noticed when I eat fresh, wild, salmon 🍣 frequently during the week I tend to sleep better as well. I know Omega-3s are anti-Peat, but so is bad sleep/insomnia. Can you tell me the Omega 3 and CBD brand/dosage you were using to get better sleep?

My body is super sensitive (understatement) but I take Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega Jr (I only take 1). I like that brand overall for omega oils.

For the CBD, Sugar Kush brand gummies are effective and SO flavorful. Some gummies can taste really grassy and outright disgusting. I take about 1/3, again because I am so sensitive and weird. Look for coupons online to save even though they are a decent price to begin with. Full disclosure: I have to stop any gummies I take after a few days because there is something in it that gets to me, probably salicylate related.. possibly gelatin or whatever oil they put into it. Again, that's my stupid body. Even microdosing actual weed (I'm talking such a stupid tiny amount/speck) will make me break out into a rash after a few days. I hate my body :( Your mileage may vary.. my mom tried many different gummies and always felt "nothing", but my mom is something else ha ha. Only when I gave her a THC tootsie roll did she get accidentally high by eating too much of it LMAO. Don't let that deter you, these are quality and very tasty CBD gummies with excellent reviews, and you can order online.

Dosage of any CBD/THC product is totally different for everyone. It can also be different for the same person on different days. Most CBD gummies are 10mg. Average price is $2 for 10mg. Like I mentioned, I can get away with biting the head off the Sugar Kush gummy bear which is about 1/3. Most "normal" people eat the whole 10mg. Some crazy people eat more than one ;) Always start slowly, especially with edibles, even CBD. It's a learning curve to see what YOUR body needs. You can always nibble more an hour or 2 later. My body is a freak show and i van feel the edible start working within minutes. I dunno... does WalMart take returns on defective bodies?

HeyThere

I'm reminded you are in Germany, correct? Honestly, any CBD gummy is most likely going to be ok, it's just a matter of flavor for the most part. I have no idea what brands they have in Germany, if any right now.

HeyThere

A few tidbits:

"Also, when THC is ingested, it will will make it into the blood stream much more effectively when it is accompanied by some source of fat. If it is transported into the blood via fish oil, and the oil is destined to go to the brain, it then stands to reason that the fish oil may aid in uptake of thc in the brain."

I find this to be 100% true as I experienced it myself and was curious to the effects until I found confirmation online. Sometimes I just take Omega and I feel that "light high" w/o having taken any THC for weeks!

HeyThere

And dang it, I can't find the article right now, it may have even been on the NIH website, but they discovered actual THC in fish oil. I was astounded, yet it makes sense how sometimes I feel the effect of being high when I just take fish oil (bulging wet eyes, floaty, light, etc).

Jaydogg23

I'm reminded you are in Germany, correct? Honestly, any CBD gummy is most likely going to be ok, it's just a matter of flavor for the most part. I have no idea what brands they have in Germany, if any right now.
Hi, no I am in California, so CBD gummies are readily available. I appreciate your response and will give it a try. Cheers!

HeyThere

Hi, no I am in California, so CBD gummies are readily available. I appreciate your response and will give it a try. Cheers!
Oh geez, then you have plenty to choose from at any dispensary. Don't know what part of CA, but if it happens to be So CA, my fave place is New Generation. Safe area, clean, great prices, great selection.