Why Would This Chinese/Japanese Herbal Formula Cure Varicocele 40 Out Of 50 Times In A Study?

TreasureVibe

Hey everyone. I had been discussing varicocele with another forum member and I remembered how 2 years ago I discovered through the use of Google Translate and Google that the Chinese formula Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan or Keishibukuryogan in Japanese was prescribed in hospitals and medical centers in Japan to patients that had varicocele, before they would opt for varicocele surgery. This is unknown in the West.

There is an actual study on Pubmed as well that documents how Gui Zhi Fu Lin Wan cured 40 out of 50 varicoceles:

Effects of guizhi-fuling-wan on male infertility with varicocele. - PubMed - NCBI

Author information
Department of Urology, Ichikawa General Hospital, Tokyo Dental College, Chiba, Japan.

Abstract

Thirty-seven infertile patients with varicocele were treated with Guizhi-Fuling-Wan (7.5 g/day) for at least 3 months. Before and after the administration, semen qualities such as sperm concentration and motility were examined, and the varicocele was graded. A varicocele disappearance rate of 80% was obtained with 40 out of 50 varicocele, and improvement of sperm concentration and motility were found in 71.4% and 62.1% of patients, respectively. From these results, Guizhi-Fuling-Wan is considered to be effective for circulation disorders in varicocele as well as semen quality.

They used tea pills or something like that of the herbal formula in this study but the formula is also available in concentrated tablets/capsules now with the same strength as used in the study.

Also if you would do some Googleing for Keishibukuryogan you would find studies associating it with varicose vein healing in the pelvis area of women and such. It also helps endometriosis in studies.

See: Examination of clinical efficacy of keishibukuryogan on non-specific complaints associated with varicose veins of the lower extremity. - PubMed - NCBI

So Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan consists of the following herbs:

Ramulus Cinnamomi Cassiae
Sclerotium Poriae Cocos
Cortex Moutan Radicis
Semen pruni persicae
Radix paeoniae lactiflorae

English names:

Cinnamon twig/cassia twig
Poria sclerotium
Tree peony root bark/red peony/mountain peony
Persica seed
Chinese white peony root

Poria sclerotium is some sort of coconut looking fungus or mushroom so it seems. Also known as Wolfiporia extensa. Among others it contains caprylic acid and lauric acid apparently. Alot of these herbs have been researched for various ailments in studies on pubmed and the like.

It's also sold under the name "cinnamon & poria pill" or "cinnamon & poria formula" or "cinnamon & hoelen formula"

So although Ray Peat is not a fond of most herbs, I would still be interested if anyone had a theory as to how this herbal formula is able to make 40 out of 50 varicoceles dissapear in that study.

Feel free to post comments and theories!

Last edited:

Daft

Cinnamon promotes blood flow? Look into the ingredients known effects?

Cinnamon -> proanthocyanidins helps strengthen capillaries
Chinese Herb: Bai Shao (White Peony Root) -> Blood flow / capillary strengthening-> iNOS eNOS modulator / inhibits lipid peroxidation / regenerates nerves / collagen regulation
Cortex Moutan Radicis -> works via the 'Vascular endothelial growth factor '(VEGF)
The aqueous extract of Paeonia suffruticosa has been reported to inhibit renal cancer cell invasion and metastasis via VEGFR-3 suppression [15].
Semen pruni persicae - contains amygdalin:
-amygdalin inhibits NF-kβ and NLRP3 signaling pathways, and consequently has anti-inflammatory effect due to reducing the expression of proinflammatory cytokines such as pro-IL-1β.
Sclerotium Poriae Cocos or Wolfiporia extensa -> Fungus, good source of B-Vitamins; Antioxidant activity of anti-inflammatory; anti-phospholipase A(2) activity affect permeability of the capillary walls

Lejeboca

I would still be interested if anyone had a theory as to how this herbal formula is able to make 40 out of 50 varicoceles dissapear in that study.

In the link that @TreasureVibe posted:
Gui Zhi Fu Ling Pian (Wan) (GyneAssure™)
There is a good description of each herb and why they work. In a nutshell, they cool the blood and promote its unrestricted flow.

"How Does Gui Zhi Fu Ling Pian Work?
The five all-natural herbs in Gui Zhi Fu Ling Pian work synergistically to promote blood circulation, and to remove Blood stasis.
The first herb in this formula (the formula's namesake), Gui Zhi (Cinnamon twig), is warm in nature. It warms Yang energy, warms and unblocks the channels. It also promotes sweating and relaxes muscles.
Fu Ling (Poria) is the second major herb appearing in the formula name. It strengthens the Spleen and leaches out dampness. Together the two herbs set the foundation to move Blood and remove stasis.
Tao Ren (Peach kernel) strongly invigorates the blood and dispels blood stasis. It also moistens the intestines and moves the bowels.
Mu Dan Pi (Tree Peony bark) clears heat and cools the blood. It also invigorates the blood and dispels blood stasis.
Bai Shao (Peony root) harmonizes the Liver, regulates menstruation, and relieves pain.
"

To look at some of the ingredients in this formula with "peaty eyes":
  • Poria is a mushroom and may be anti-estrogen,
  • Cinnamon (Cassia) is for blood flow as @Daft said and this site shows that "Key functions include expelling cold to relieve exterior syndrome, warming the meridians to promote coronary circulation, and activating yang to promote body-fluid metabolism." A word of caution is that Cassia seem to contain coumarins that may interfere with Vitamin K...
  • White Peony root is synergistic with progesterone.

Lejeboca

Cinnamon -> proanthocyanidins helps strengthen capillaries
Chinese Herb: Bai Shao (White Peony Root) -> Blood flow / capillary strengthening-> iNOS eNOS modulator / inhibits lipid peroxidation / regenerates nerves / collagen regulation
Cortex Moutan Radicis -> works via the 'Vascular endothelial growth factor '(VEGF)
The aqueous extract of Paeonia suffruticosa has been reported to inhibit renal cancer cell invasion and metastasis via VEGFR-3 suppression [15].

Semen pruni persicae - contains amygdalin:
-amygdalin inhibits NF-kβ and NLRP3 signaling pathways, and consequently has anti-inflammatory effect due to reducing the expression of proinflammatory cytokines such as pro-IL-1β.
Sclerotium Poriae Cocos or Wolfiporia extensa -> Fungus, good source of B-Vitamins; Antioxidant activity of anti-inflammatory; anti-phospholipase A(2) activity affect permeability of the capillary walls

Thank you, @General Orange, very informative.

Mauritio

sounds interesting . currently trying pycnogenol. this could also be an option !

Bart1

Got a bottle here at home, this product:

Gui Zhi Fu Ling Pian (Wan) (GyneAssure™)

It's also sold here by another brand:

Dragon Herbs, Cinnamon & Poria, 500 mg, 100 Capsules

Anyone has anything to say about that study?

@TreasureVibe, what's your experience with these products ? I also have a varicocele. I have had surgery in the past however it did not solve the problem and made it even worse. I got a new varicocele now which I think also impairs blood flow to my penis. If I lie down during sex I have a hard time maintaining a good erection. Of course this could be due to other hormonal issues I have (but a varicocele could also amplify my issues), but I felt the varicocele came back and since then I experience erectile problems.

I'm considering a new surgery, I'm really afraid it could make things more worse again, no success is guaranteed of course and I think I first have to fix my major health issues to be fit for the surgery and of course to enhance the chance of success. But I know it could improve my health a lot if fixed because it is related to low levels of testosterone.

Btw I also tried Horse chestnut and Rutin, this worked a bit, but I don't know if these herbs have other negative reactions (estrogenic ?), so for now I don't use them anymore,

Mauritio

Bump

Daft

Other herbs that improve blood flow would work similarly
Ginkgo biloba is a good candidate
Ginsengs - Note: Siberian Ginseng being the least stimulant-like one

Targeting Flow Mediated Dilation could help, such as through 1 c fresh blueberries/day or equiv. in blueberry powder, among other dietary suggestions below:

Mauritio

I've been trying a Chinese herbal formula for kidneys (yin deficiency) it also contains radix moutan . I find my varicose vein a lot less pronounced these last days ...

Daft

I've been trying a Chinese herbal formula for kidneys (yin deficiency) it also contains radix moutan . I find my varicose vein a lot less pronounced these last days ...
Great data. A cursory look at this herb suggests it likewise works by improving the cardiovascular system: Cortex Moutan - TCM Herbs - TCM Wiki

Elsewhere I spotted it's used to induce abortions, an fyi. "Women use peony for menstrual cramps, polycystic ovary syndrome, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and for starting menstruation or causing an abortion."
Cortex moutan – NutraWiki

"A study published in the August 2010 edition of “Die Pharmazie” reports that peony contains 18 active constituents responible for inhibiting blood coagulation or platelet aggregation. The active constituents include paeoniflorin, catechin, galloylpaeoniflorin and paeonol. The anti-coagulant effect of peony supports healthy blood circulation, which prevents against certain cardiovascular diseases."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom