I Don't Exercise -- I Play

PeterLake

When I look back on my childhood, it's striking how much time I spent playing. Every day after the last bell rang, I'd spend hours hanging around the schoolyard playing pickup basketball or touch football. In the summers I'd wander out of my house around 9am and come back around 8pm, having spent the previous 11 hours hanging with friends in the neighborhood. We'd run and we'd jump and we'd skip and we'd do just about any other physical activity a person could think of.

Later on, as I entered my teen years, the amount of time spent playing dwindled. Just as much time was spent in motion, but the motion wasn't so fun anymore. Play was replaced by work. Want to make your high school basketball team? Better get in the gym and work. Want to earn that college scholarship? Better start racking up hours of training.

Even once my competitive sports career was over, this "work" mindset persisted. You're an adult now -- gotta stay in shape, gotta stay fit, gotta look good... Exercise became a sort of second job. It may've been a job I excelled at, but still, it was work. And like a lot of work, I came to resent doing it. I dreaded coming home exhausted after a long day at my actual job and having to force myself to go take care of my compulsory second career at the gym.

Over time, I started to feel more and more burnt out with my exercise routine. It felt like I was constantly falling behind. Gained a little fat? Now I have to go work it off. Lost a little muscle? Better hit the gym to workout and gain it back. Eventually I started to feel pretty horrible (mentally and physically) and I didn't look great either. So I started to think about exercise as a concept and a practice.

The conclusion I've settled on is that exercise is stupid.

Yes, stupid. Incredibly stupid, actually. It's not stupid because it's inherently bad for you, it's stupid because it's based on the entirely false premise that you owe your body a debt for its continued use.

As a nine-year-old, I didn't run around day and night in the name of exercise. I wasn't working out, or trying to become more physically fit. I was playing. Playing was fun, and my body was an awesome tool that allowed me to express and enjoy fun physically. And now, I'm proud to say, I've returned to that mindset. I no longer exercise, now I play.

I know how hard it can be to do anything physical when you're in poor health. You can't play for 11 hours a day when you have a million different responsibilities to worry about and barely enough energy to take care of 5% of them. Still, I really encourage anyone who struggles with "exercise" to try reframing it in your mind. It made a huge difference for me and maybe it can for you.

Here are some of the ways I play:

> Long walks and hikes: it's fun to explore the woods, or even to just get out and feel good in the fresh air and sun.
> Lifting weights: I like heavy, low-rep olympic lifts. Power cleans are my favorite. It's fun to see how much weight you can throw around!
> Yin Yoga: It's fun and relaxing to loosen up the body and make new progress with your flexibility.
> Boxing: It's fun to hit stuff. I recommend looking for an open gym where you can work at your own pace. A lot of classes/trainers try to kill you. I prefer working on technique.
> Gardening/Yardwork: It's fun to grow stuff and build things.
> Dancing: There's literally nothing more fun than dancing. Alone at your house, or out at the bar. Pro-tip for the fellas: It doesn't matter if you suck, the guy with the confidence to really let loose on the dance floor gets all the ladies.
> Running/Jumping/Skipping: I'm not talking about 10 mile slogs. But maybe next time you're out on a leisurely walk, you feel compelled to sprint for 50 feet, or skip for 20 seconds. Will you look like an insane person skipping around at the local park? Yeah, probably, but who cares. It's fun to run and jump and skip around like an idiot sometimes.
> Dancing: Yes, I'm saying this again. If you aren't dancing regularly, you're missing out one of the most fun activities life has to offer. Seriously, next time you feel crappy, dance around your room for 2 minutes and let me know how you feel after.

There's endless ways to play, these are just some of my favorites. If you're somebody who has a negative relationship with exercise, maybe you could have a good time trying out one of the things on my list. I see plenty of arguments on here about if exercise is necessary, how much is necessary, how stressful is it, is it necessary stress... For me, all these questions became irrelevant when I stopped exercising and started playing. Playing is good for you. You can never play too much. Your body isn't a loanshark -- you don't have to pay a vig to use it. It's a tool to be used in your pursuit of fun and happiness. I think that fact is as in line with Ray's philosophy of life as anything could be.

Momma

I like this.

May I add something?
Use your body to serve others. My husband loaded up his car with all of our yard tools to tend to a woman's yard, who was a widow with cancer. She has many neighbors, but no one cared. Use your body! Be that good neighbor! There are a million ways to play and serve.

Jennifer

As a nine-year-old, I didn't run around day and night in the name of exercise. I wasn't working out, or trying to become more physically fit. I was playing. Playing was fun, and my body was an awesome tool that allowed me to express and enjoy fun physically. And now, I'm proud to say, I've returned to that mindset. I no longer exercise, now I play.

That’s great, Peter! I share the same mindset. Working at letting go of my no pain, no gain mindset and allowing exercise to be a byproduct of a well-lived life was huge for my healing. :)

D

Doer

I like this.

May I add something?
Use your body to serve others. My husband loaded up his car with all of our yard tools to tend to a woman's yard, who was a widow with cancer. She has many neighbors, but no one cared. Use your body! Be that good neighbor! There are a million ways to play and serve.
Totally agree with you.

LadyRae

Thank you, @PeterLake ! Your post is quite opportune as I am feeling depressed about myself because my enjoyable leisurely jog with my dog yesterday gave me the worst insomnia last night 😩..

My 9 and 10 year olds, my youngest 2, play and exercise just as you describe. Lots of rest in between bouts of exertion and lots of snacks!

But I have tried all these things and I felt so good the last few days and I felt great after the jog/fast walk yesterday, I laid in the Sun, ate plenty of food, felt happy and not stressed, and had a great day.... So it's hard to pinpoint what I'm doing wrong.

Waaaa😪

Cayennepepper

i recently found a LARPing group in my neighborhood. Yes its very nerdy and cringe, but also im going to show up and destroy all of these nerds with my sword and shield.

-Luke-

Forcing yourself to do something you actually have an aversion to may not be the best idea. It took me some time and (bad) experience to realize that. I had a phase of maybe two years where I was "into" running, but always hated the long and slow sessions and had to force myself. Intervals and shorter tempo runs were okay but I hated the long runs. I should have taken that as a sign that it just wasn't for me instead of waiting for my knees to make that decision for me. Playing pickup basketball or soccer is way more fun.

Nowadays my exercise is way more like you described it. I just do exercises I want to do with no plan or a real routine behind it. Of course, if you are a professional athlete a "Naaah guys, I just play a round of table tennis today because that's what I feel like" may not sit well with your coach and teammates, but the rest of us maybe shouldn't be so serious about it if it's not what we want to do.

There is also the opposite phenomenon in this forum, where people want to do something they like (cycling, playing basketball,...) but have a guilty conscience because it's too stressfull and lactate-inducing. I think the positive side (it's fun) outweighs the potential negatives unless you're literally killing yourself.

Rafe

Gardening sounds really like nothing. Something retired people do to putter around.

But now I’m gardening. Or, yard farming. And it’s the best functional, purposeful fitness I think I’ve ever had. All the digging, hauling, stooping, kneeling, shoveling, fence-building. In the sun.

If you do it with methods & plans that are purposefully resource-low then you’re building experience & skills for if the lights go out. The planning & problem solving are stimulating.

So good.

Playing is supposed to be the only "exercise" anyone should do. It's just that many these days forget that something like exercise is supposed to be fun in the moment, & not something that is supposed to grant you special powers or rewards at some unspecific, aimless hope/stretch of time in to the future. Many gymcels exercise "because it's good for you" but that's brainwashing because it becomes about hopeful future payoff, while admitting to present strain/stress. What good does anything payoff in the hopeful stretch of the so-called future if it's stressful to you now? Even if it did payoff it's still not optimal because the idea of beating yourself down to adapt is an age old adage that doesn't hold true as well as many think. Many want to believe it's all for good, but they ignore just how many downsides such "duties" can bring in time -- they don't care.

Sure, it may technically work in that straining yourself hard can make you stronger, but at what cost? People think everything "tough" is worth it because of a payoff -- and that every so-called payoff from enduring struggle is worth it like that's some supposed human condition to suffer rightfully or strain yourself for "rewards later." Rewards?

But I gotta ask all of these people: WHAT payoff? WHY do you think some unspecified future payoff is worth trading who knows what to force yourself upon something now? And why do so many of these "suffer now for reward later" people ALWAYS think everyone is "lazy" if they're not going to a gym or working out 5x a week or similar ***t?

If it doesn't come naturally it's almost never good, which means MAKING YOURSELF do something you never initially had a desire to do is more often than not dysgenic. But try telling this to gymcels -- those "blackpilled" or "redpilled" posters -- who believe that forcing yourself suffering is worth it because it MIGHT give you "rewards" later....

Like yeah, I'm a lazy sack of ***t because I don't feel like running off to a gym or investing in weights or whatnot and pushing myself to workout for a specified, fixed amount of time 4 or 5 days of every week. It's funny because those who already have the advantages call the struggling ones lazy, as if it's all about hard work & nothing else, sure.

Last edited:

Nik665

Even if its jogging. Ray peat said it can be pro metabolic if its something truly enjoyable and he did add that doing it outdoors in a nice nature scenery would make it even more pro-metabolic.

LadyRae

Even if its jogging. Ray peat said it can be pro metabolic if its something truly enjoyable and he did add that doing it outdoors in a nice nature scenery would make it even more pro-metabolic.
Yes, that's what I love. We live a long a river and there is a paved path that goes for miles and it is so beautiful to go running along it. I think I'm just going to have to accept that some sleep loss is inevitable because I'm just not willing to give up the activities that I love.

David PS

I prefer the term 'movement'. The same movement can be considered to be either exercise or play depending on one's mindset. Getting some purposeful movement after a meal to lower my blood sugar makes me happy.
Fuv5xuhXwAEs7hk

Nik665

Yes, that's what I love. We live a long a river and there is a paved path that goes for miles and it is so beautiful to go running along it. I think I'm just going to have to accept that some sleep loss is inevitable because I'm just not willing to give up the activities that I love.
Why is it causing sleep loss?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Nik665

The jogging stirs up the copper.
Wow you must have a lot of copper when I jog in nature I sleep much more deeply I’ve actually tested in a sleep lab and I get into the deeper waves much faster when I jog vs lift in nature and much more rested when jog outside versus indoor treadmill

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals