"Failure" Training / Slow Pace Walking

Dobbler

Okay i have 2 questions about those topics:

For a year my gym routine has been pretty brutal now that i think about it actually. I have basicly trained 3-4 times a week doing very hard sessions basicly every set to failure, sessions taking like 1 hour with 5-10 different exercises. I have now realized that one of the reasons im not making any progress health wise is this fact. What im gonna do now is for few months, im avoiding "failure" like plague. It cant be good for metabolism / hormones to to push yourself to that brake over and over again, never taking more than 2 days off. What you guys think? My body composition has slowly but steadily gone more ***t, im certainly not making any progress and going to gym feels like ***t + i get exhausted after first set basicly.

Second question: Is it safe to do slow walking at nature, thyroid / hormone wise or does it go to endurance exercise category too much?

Thanks.

Gadsie

Ray Peat said:
I think periods of intense muscular exertion should be limited to 20 or 30 seconds, followed by rest periods. Otherwise, T3 falls and the stress signals rise. If mental activity has a sense of obligation, of being pushed, it can raise the same stress mediators (serotonin, TSH, prolactin, CRH, cortisol, etc.), but if the attitude is one of opening and exploring new possibilities, it activates restorative processes throughout the body.

I don't think short periods of intense exercise are that bad, although if you feel like ***t because of it, then yeah cut back or find out what's wrong. Walking is probably ok, although if you hate doing it it may be a bit stressful.

jitsmonkey

walking in nature for pleasure at a normal breathing rate with zero hyperventilation is fine.
It'd be virtually impossible to harm yourself directly from walking too much if you stop when its not pleasurable.
underfueled, under rested, pollution, etc different conversation but just spending time walking in nature enjoying
yourself I'd bet you likely can't get enough of that.

consistent hyper-intense workouts imho serve zero purpose from a health perspective.
The problem is that most if not all the training models utilize elite athletes as the ideal/model of health/fitness. Elite athletics and health are not compatible endeavors. Elite performance like anything else comes at a cost. And like any expenditure its not that you shouldn't make one, its that if you're going to make that expenditure you should be conscious about it.
If you're doing that kind of training to support a hobby you love or a vocation your committed to then you simply need to be ok with the trade off. Normally I train jiu jitsu most days. Its definitely beyond the realm of "health", often times its to the detriment of "health" but it provides other benefits I enjoy so I continue to do it in as "healthy" a way as I can. Its worth noting that I'm not training right now for health reasons ;-) lol.
I can't imagine a long term benefit for the type of training you described.

Lifting heavy s**t is great but to get those benefits purely from a health perspective you don't need the type of training you're describing
The type of training you're describing makes sense if its for a purpose you deem important but if its for health/fitness/well being
spend your valuable time elsewhere.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dobbler

Few years back i had to take half year of from gym because i trained exactly like ive been training recently. Ud think i would learn my lesson but once again im here broken down. I really have to stop training like mad men because my body clearly cant take it. Its funny when you are completely broken down with all kinds of depression and anxiety you realize to stop and take a break.

L

lollipop

Few years back i had to take half year of from gym because i trained exactly like ive been training recently. Ud think i would learn my lesson but once again im here broken down. I really have to stop training like mad men because my body clearly cant take it. Its funny when you are completely broken down with all kinds of depression and anxiety you realize to stop and take a break.
I would cheer yourself for listening @Dobbler. I know people who even at the stage you are at refuse to listen and eventually nature has her way, they collapse or end up with something that forces them to stop. Not a fun way to realize. AND then they blame the "thing" that made them stop. You seem WAY ahead of the game...

David90

Okay i have 2 questions about those topics:

For a year my gym routine has been pretty brutal now that i think about it actually. I have basicly trained 3-4 times a week doing very hard sessions basicly every set to failure, sessions taking like 1 hour with 5-10 different exercises. I have now realized that one of the reasons im not making any progress health wise is this fact. What im gonna do now is for few months, im avoiding "failure" like plague. It cant be good for metabolism / hormones to to push yourself to that brake over and over again, never taking more than 2 days off. What you guys think? My body composition has slowly but steadily gone more ***t, im certainly not making any progress and going to gym feels like ***t + i get exhausted after first set basicly.

Second question: Is it safe to do slow walking at nature, thyroid / hormone wise or does it go to endurance exercise category too much?

Thanks.

The Solution to the Problem is not going to Avoid Failure but to do it Intelligently.

First off, i would not advise to go to Failure on Compound Exercises since the Goal should be Progressive Overload (Getting Stronger over Time via More Weight or More Reps). Since they are Stimulating Much More Muscle then Isolation Exercises, they can be also more CNS Fatigung which you should not do Excessivly. Going to Failure makes more sense (and less damage) on Isolation Exercises (for Example Biceps Curls, Dumbell Skull Crusher, Lateral Raises and so forth) then on Compound Exercises.

A Good Solution to this is the Following:

Compound Exercises:
Leaving 1,5 to 2 Reps in the Tank (NOT going to Failure on them)

Isolation Exercises:
Leaving 1 Rep in the Tank or going to Failure.

Also it can help keeping the Workout Time Lower (40-45 Minutes). Concentrating More on Compound Exercises and Keeping Isolation Exercises to a Minimum.

Also i don't know how your Workout Routine is (besides going 3-4 Times per Week, as you said). But i also advise to avoiding ''Bro-Splits'' (Training each Muscle Group once per Week) like the Plague, since IMO they are not good for Building Muscle. In Terms of Muscle Protein Synthesis and Progressive Overload, i would advise doing a Split that Trains your Muscle Groups at least 2-3 Times per Week.

Examples Would be:

3 Times per Week:
-Upper Body / Lower Body / Full Body
-Upper Body / Lower Body / Upper Body (Alternating)
-Full Body / Full Body / Full Body

4 Times per Week:
-Push / Pull / Legs / Full Body
-Push / Pull / Legs / Upper Body
-Upper Body / Lower Body / Upper Body / Lower Body
-Full Body / Full Body / Full Body / Full Body

Arlen4458

Dobbler, I trained with Casey VIATOR before he went to London to compete in the Mr Universe 1979 .He was the poster boy for HIT long before Mentzer. You will slowly lose everything you have worked for if you continue th is style of training .They trained this way for 10 to 12 weeks max and were on enough drugs to fill up the entire trunk of Casey's trans am ! And they did not work they just trained and when they wernt trai ing they slept.So unless your at that level leave training to failure alone and take a month of from lifting weights because your adrenal glands are fried right about now a Las vegas hooker couldnt get you to have a hard on. Find Frank Calta's Rotation for Recouperation and train along those lines and you will begin to love training and make improvements.Do Not believe anything in the muscle mags 99 % percent of th ose articles are written by pencilnecks who write professionally for magazines.' The muscle mags are nothing but supplement catalogs.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals