Elite OCR Training On Peat Diet?

Zephyr

I am an avid OCR athlete that does tons of Spartan Races, Savage Races, etc (obviously not now in the COVID world). I'm very into them, have qualified for several world championships and have goals to win. I have recently come into conflict with Peat's views on exercise being an overall net negative for thyroid health. To be honest with you I don't really agree with all of it, I think that humans were made to engage their bodies and improve strength/endurance. Ancient Greeks were significantly healthier and happier than us, and were a very fitness-heavy warrior culture. I think that a lot of the negatives he cites could be attributed more to overtraining/undereating, only doing endurance training with no weights, and also many of these effects could come from people pushing themselves too hard while still eating a lot of the garbage food that plagues America. Many people likely have accumulated epigenetic damage from their own diets as well as their parents/grandparents.

All this to say, I have started to dial it back and go for more quality than quantity in workouts. I typically work out Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, taking the other days off and doing a little yoga/foam rolling on Sunday. Have also significantly upped my caloric intake and cut out things like PUFA. My question is, do you think that it's possible to continue to improve and possibly become one of the best OCR athletes without over stressing your body with too much training? I've heard about some of the top athletes that say they don't even train THAT much so I'm starting to think maybe a "less is more" approach can get me closer to my competitive goals of being the Tom Brady of OCR while also improving my health and hormone balance.

OP
Z

Zephyr

Also worth noting; I don't do all that much endurance training anymore. Usually do one day with a long run or Fartlek workout, the others are either weight training or sprints, some low zone 2 pace runs in between sets for active cooldown. I've found better results from not overdoing the endurance stuff.

kreeese

greetings from nyc!! Awesome post and I absolutely agree!! I love Ray but he is not the source for fitness and exercise! I feel Ray is against and rightfully so mindless soulless Tread mill eleptical etc. "exercise:) I am a personal trainer and health coach here in nyc and am 52 years of age, and inspiring OCR or anything else you love to do can only benefit the body and mind! question how old are you??
cheers Kreese nyc

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals