Another 90 day bodybuilding log & progress pics - 'Mind muscle' connection = body intelligence quotient?

Progress from the last 90 days... what I did and learned -

FREQUENCY & STRUCTURE - On the whole, I did a full body workout every 2nd or 3rd day, depending on rate of recovery. Sometimes I would do all lower body with a few light upper body accessories on the first day and then vice versa on the second day.

EXERCISE ROTATION - I'd always do a leg exercise first, pull exercise second, push exercise third, and repeat this rotation until exhaustion, usually 30-60 minutes.

INTRA-WORKOUT REST - All sets had an average rest period of 2.5-4 minutes between each. Allowing creatine phosphate to replenish in the muscle between exercises is the difference between resistance training and cardio. By scientific report, creatine phosphate is replenished by 90% after about 4 minutes of rest. Front-loading water before a workout and drinking water frequently between sets makes a big difference. Muscles are mostly water, after all.

EXERCISES - Every working set I did had at least 8 repetitions and was executed to failure in one of three ways:

A) go to failure > rest less than 30 seconds > go to failure > rest > failure.

Example: 12 reps > pause rest > 5 reps > pause rest > 2 reps

B) supersets (2 exercise sets back to back)

Example: pullups into standing dumbbell curls

C) giant sets (3 exercises back to back)

Example: barbell deadlifts into dumbbell lunges into dumbbell shrugs

*I used wrist wraps for less than 10 working sets for this 90 day period. If my grip was failing, I'd just rest for 20 to 240 seconds before pulling the same weight again.

*I would give extra volume to the back during the end 'cooldown' period of any workout session with light weight, high rep sets of seated rows, dumbbell rows, Lu raises, etc.

MIND-MUSCLE CONNECTION - I gave a strong effort to 1) maintaining muscle tension and 2) relaxing for bodily expansion (detailed below) throughout any exercise... this usually looks like 'partial reps' and, although sometimes seems silly, is key to muscular hypertrophy.

MACHINES - Around day 60, I decided to finally get over myself and allow myself to use machines for additional muscular fatigue.

CORE WORK(?) - I did almost zero ab or core exercises throughout this 90 day period. Every exercise should maintain core engagement at all times.

CARDIO - I did a very slow 2 mile jog about 6 times during this 90 day period. I only bothered to do this cardio if the motivation to do it was very high. I've learned in the past that forcing regular cardio exercise is not conducive to weight gain.

EXPANSIVE MENTALITY - Besides eating food and lifting until physical failure, the most important part of this process has been to employ a mentality of welcoming physical growth. This is most significantly applied during the execution of any given exercise and before falling asleep.

I'm speaking of a practice of envisioning bodily expansion in all directions, which is the antithesis of fixating on one point or another. Not zooming in and fixating the eyes on one point, but instead maintaining tension throughout the entire body during the entirety of an exercise.

For example, I can do a standing barbell curl in front of a mirror, turn sideways, and stare intently at contraction of my bicep in the mirror... OR I can do the same movement with my eyes closed & relaxed, imagining that my eyes are getting further away from each other with each repetition.

In the former execution of this exercise, I'm sending a limited nervous impulse that is intended to simply move a barbell from point A to B in the most efficient way possible. The nerve impulse will favorably use my strongest muscles with the most familiar movement pattern. If I'm focused like this, I'm certainly going to use the same motor recruitment pattern that I habitually use to pick up bottles and pencils, the issue being that that motor pattern is not putting a stress on my entire body, only the same muscles I'm always using.

By contrast, in the latter execution of this exercise, my entire body is being recruited based on a complete tension of every muscle. Instead of only using the 12 familiar muscles which usually execute this movement 95% of the time for me in that specific recruitment pattern, there are now hundreds of muscles which are expanding in their own 3-dimensional space. The more we focus on moving a weight from point A to B, then the less we focus on how a weight is supported by our entire skeleton.

*Pinpointing a movement - like a squat or deadlift for instance - while mentally trying to maintain lots of physical cues can sorely detract from the possible benefit of total bodily expansion.

To again use the squat and deadlift as easy examples, a lot of people get lower back fatigue long before leg fatigue from these exercises because they're habitually using their most common movement pattern to move the weight, which puts 80% of the stress on the lower back when, if the entire body is recruited (stabilizing & supporting weight with the lats, shoulders, etc), the stress on the lower back should only be 60%.

MINDFUL EXERCISE = BODY INTELLIGENCE - A lack of mindfulness when lifting, commonly referred to as the 'mind muscle connection,' is the factor I'm harping on... and at this point I think it's the determining factor of what is sometimes referred to as 'body intelligence.' Oftentimes top athletes aren't the most intellectual, but they're intuitive sense of bodily movement is well-endowed, hence every person has a 'body intelligence' quotient which is separate from their intelligence or emotional quotient (IQ or EQ).

DIET - raw cheese, raw milk, raw honey, raw eggs, raw cream, cooked vegetable soups, cooked bean soups, raw seeds, raw nuts, raw oats... occasionally traditional restaurant breakfasts, tacos, pizza, and cooked or canned meat.

SUPPLEMENTS - camu camu powder (vit C), coffee, raw carob powder, dolomite lime (magnesium), dulse seaweed (iodine)

REST & SLEEP - if I didn't have the energy to workout on a day, I'd try to eat and sleep more, including taking naps where I could get them to ensure that I'd be able to workout the next day. Sometimes I'd just do a quick 10 minutes of exercise in the evening after eating.

IMG_20230413_140223.jpg
IMG_20230413_140302.jpg
IMG_20230413_142728.jpg
IMG_20230413_143036.jpg

EustaceBagge

The more we focus on moving a weight from point A to B, then the less we focus on how a weight is supported by our entire skeleton.
I thought it was the opposite, the more you have a mind muscle connection, the more you isolate the muscles you want to use. Powerlifters use cues and techniques, not mind muscle connections, because they want to use the most amount of muscles possible to move the weight from A to B in the most efficient way possible. Bodybuilders try to turn every movement into an isolation to pinpoint the exact area they are trying to hit to sculpt the muscle.

I'm interested in your take of bodily expansion however. Your squat example confused me. If I squat in an efficient manner with no focus on the muscles worked except cues to stay tight, I can move the most amount of weight. But if I want to target my quads, I have to change stuff to really isolate the quads as much as possible and I found my quads growing more this way. This did make me weaker in the squat relatively, but now more tension is placed on the quads.

OP
Twohandsondeck
Powerlifters use cues and techniques, not mind muscle connections, because they want to use the most amount of muscles possible to move the weight from A to B in the most efficient way possible.
If I squat in an efficient manner with no focus on the muscles worked except cues to stay tight, I can move the most amount of weight. But if I want to target my quads, I have to change stuff to really isolate the quads as much as possible and I found my quads growing more this way. This did make me weaker in the squat relatively, but now more tension is placed on the quads.

Ok, to simplify the idea further, I'm postulating that there are 2 schools of lifting thought that every person finds themselves fighting between with every rep and you touched on them both.

Using the deadlift as a framework:

There's the thoughtless lift which is the 'get tight all over and pull,' aka the most efficient motor pattern a person will use. In the same way 99% of people bend over to pick up a pencil, they'll have a tendency to do the same when deadlifting close to their max. Basically this looks like hinging around the lower back and using almost no leg drive... because that's how they most efficiently pick up a pencil for 99% of their life.

And then there's the thoughtful lift which is an application of the expansive mentality which, through an act of relaxation throughout the lift, engages every muscle to its equal portion. At the very bottom of the deadlift, the quads are being completely used/expanded as opposed to just tightening the knees and hips while jerking towards the sky with all one's might.

I think it's impossible to hit a true PR with a thoughtful lift and additionally that the building towards a new PR is best done through thoughtful lifting.

There's definitely a time and a place for both, though. I think it's well documented that having both volume/hypertrophy training days and strength/max (under 5 reps per set) training days will produce the most desirable combination of strength and physique.

Of relevance, I heard Leo Wik say something a while back about how expert bodybuilders are basically able to grow any muscle with any exercise because they understand how to contract and emphasize that muscle during any exercise.

Like, growing rear delts by squatting is definitely not optimal, but when a squat is thoughtfully executed, it will affect the strength and appearance of the rear delts in a significantly different way than if a person thoughtless-ly squats. Even if all a person did was squat thoughtfully, over time they would have evidence of that total-body engagement by an evenly distributed physique.

Any freestanding movement like the squat, bench, and deadlift will use the entire body. To use the same example, mentally try to fatigue your shoulders during a squat-only workout and you'll be surprised how much of a beating you can give your shoulders doing a movement that isn't ideal for them.

Like, Scott Mendelson tore his quad when attempting a massive bench press. This is peak thoughtful lifting imo.

EustaceBagge

Ok, to simplify the idea further, I'm postulating that there are 2 schools of lifting thought that every person finds themselves fighting between with every rep and you touched on them both.

Using the deadlift as a framework:

There's the thoughtless lift which is the 'get tight all over and pull,' aka the most efficient motor pattern a person will use. In the same way 99% of people bend over to pick up a pencil, they'll have a tendency to do the same when deadlifting close to their max. Basically this looks like hinging around the lower back and using almost no leg drive... because that's how they most efficiently pick up a pencil for 99% of their life.

And then there's the thoughtful lift which is an application of the expansive mentality which, through an act of relaxation throughout the lift, engages every muscle to its equal portion. At the very bottom of the deadlift, the quads are being completely used/expanded as opposed to just tightening the knees and hips while jerking towards the sky with all one's might.

I think it's impossible to hit a true PR with a thoughtful lift and additionally that the building towards a new PR is best done through thoughtful lifting.

There's definitely a time and a place for both, though. I think it's well documented that having both volume/hypertrophy training days and strength/max (under 5 reps per set) training days will produce the most desirable combination of strength and physique.

Of relevance, I heard Leo Wik say something a while back about how expert bodybuilders are basically able to grow any muscle with any exercise because they understand how to contract and emphasize that muscle during any exercise.

Like, growing rear delts by squatting is definitely not optimal, but when a squat is thoughtfully executed, it will affect the strength and appearance of the rear delts in a significantly different way than if a person thoughtless-ly squats. Even if all a person did was squat thoughtfully, over time they would have evidence of that total-body engagement by an evenly distributed physique.

Any freestanding movement like the squat, bench, and deadlift will use the entire body. To use the same example, mentally try to fatigue your shoulders during a squat-only workout and you'll be surprised how much of a beating you can give your shoulders doing a movement that isn't ideal for them.

Like, Scott Mendelson tore his quad when attempting a massive bench press. This is peak thoughtful lifting imo.
The most efficient way to lift is also the most thoughtful way to lift though. The techniques and cues used to lift a weight from A to B in the most efficient way is thoughtful. It still requires skill.

Bodybuilding just utilizes it in a different way where you use it to isolate what your trying to hit. A bodybuilder will never squat to grow his hamstrings, he will try to isolate his quads as much as possible.

Scott Mendelson is lifting in the most efficient way possible and tore his quad while being extremely tight which is exactly what he preaches, so your thoughtfulness is just a middleground between mind muscle connection and tightness.

For example I do a bench press and try to take the triceps and shoulders and legs completely out of it, isolating the chest = mind muscle connection
A newbie would just lift from A to B with 0 efficiency as he has not trained the necessary skills and techniques for optimal form = simple lifting, body decides what to do
A powerlifter will use mind muscle connection and skills/cues to be as efficient as possible, guiding the movement with the intent of being mechanically efficient instead of isolating = you?

I don't think you ever want to relax muscles to make sure that everything is activated equally, instead emphasise what your trying to hit or what is lacking.

OP
Twohandsondeck
I don't think you ever want to relax muscles to make sure that everything is activated equally, instead emphasise what your trying to hit or what is lacking.
I think I understand your perspective.

All I can suggest is that the next time you're benching 80% of your max, try closing your eyes, relaxing, and letting gravity dictate the movement rather than focusing/tensing your body according to what you think the movement execution should look and feel like.

The irony of this idea is that it's an attempt to take the mind out of the equation. My mind doesn't know best how to use my entire body for any given lift, but my body does.

Allow the muscles to inform the mind throughout the movement instead of forcing the mind to inform the muscles is the best I can think to say.

EustaceBagge

I think I understand your perspective.

All I can suggest is that the next time you're benching 80% of your max, try closing your eyes, relaxing, and letting gravity dictate the movement rather than focusing/tensing your body according to what you think the movement execution should look and feel like.

The irony of this idea is that it's an attempt to take the mind out of the equation. My mind doesn't know best how to use my entire body for any given lift, but my body does.

Allow the muscles to inform the mind throughout the movement instead of forcing the mind to inform the muscles is the best I can think to say.
LOL, now I understand what you mean. It sounds interesting so I'll try it out on a few exercises.

CastorTroy

¿Raw oats? First time I hear anyone on consuming grains raw without experimenting digestive issues.

OP
Twohandsondeck
LOL, now I understand what you mean. It sounds interesting so I'll try it out on a few exercises.
🤜
¿Raw oats? First time I hear anyone on consuming grains raw without experimenting digestive issues.
They were problematic for me for a long time, but as I've restored the mucus lining/lacteal system of my intestines with uncooked/unpasteurized/raw eggs, cheese, milk, honey, and meat, all manner of grains have been much more agreeable to my digestion, if even helpful.

CastorTroy

Animal foods are perfectly fine to eat them raw (when sourced from trusted producers). But... grains? Just chewing them properly would be so much time consuming, I can't see it. Even if you don't have digestive issues, I wonder how much you absorb from them.

OP
Twohandsondeck
Animal foods are perfectly fine to eat them raw (when sourced from trusted producers). But... grains? Just chewing them properly would be so much time consuming, I can't see it. Even if you don't have digestive issues, I wonder how much you absorb from them.
On two separate occasions, I've purchased almost-grey conventional chicken in sealed plastic, allowed it to sit in a hot car for 10 days, and then consumed one of the breasts raw, smelling of sulfur to high heaven, just to prove a point that it didn't make me sick whatsoever.

Things aren't what we've commonly been told.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals