Coming Back From Finasteride

SunJeep

So there has been an interesting discussion going on in another thread (Post Finasteride Syndrome, 5ar, And The Brain) which made me decide to post up my experience.

2012: Went on finasteride. Did some reading about side effects, but most studies (funded by big pharma I'm sure) suggested safety and that any side effects were reversed within 2 weeks of stopping. Noticed absolutely no difference mentally or physically when taking it, except hairloss stopped. Great! Stopped a few times and all returned to normal. At this point I basically went on autopilot and didn't think much more about it.

2014-2016: I experience some low-grade depression that I attributed to stress, the problem was it always seemed to get worse not better. During this time I institued alot of lifestyle improvements. Started lifting regularly, eating better (subjective I know), and faithfully instituted a practice of meditation / yoga / tai chi. Despite all these things, I kept feeling worse and worse and I had symptoms of hypothyroid (always cold, low temp, poor sleep, ect) but my blood levels always came back normal.

2016: "The year from hell" My depression now was becoming difficult to deal with. So I realized that I needed to make some major changes in my life. I considered quitting my job, committing suicide, all sorts of things. In a more rational moment, I decided to just try and figure this ***t out (I'm a scientist by training). I was on two perscription meds at this point: singular for allergies and finasteride. Even in the darkest times, I still had strong libido.

April 2016: I quit finasteride and singular. While I experienced no change in mental state, my libido when crazy (as I now know is common) and then completely tanked. It was like that part of me has simply been removed. So now I was both depressed and had no interested in sex at all, as well as ED.

June 2016: The worst of the low. I was very dark - suicidal at times, which made me seek advice from my doctor. (Still not connecting the finasteride to my problems - yes I was slow). I went on bupriprion for 1 week. It made me feel crazy wired and gave me my first ever panic attack, but it also made me remember what normal might have felt like - I actually wanted to live and do stuff.

I quite the buproprion started therapy and saw a psychiatrist. He wanted to put me on lexapro - but this time i did some better homework and realized these people ended up not much better off mood wise - and got a whole bunch of nasty side effects. So began my long slow recovery.

July 2016-June 2017: I had always been interested in diet changes, having experimented with paleo and IF as well some other crazier ideas along the way (pre-fin). So one day, mostly out of desperation and exhaustion I started a fast. I only went 3 days, but by the end of it, I felt better than I had in ages. I did another 3 day fast and some more IF.

The next big step for me was discovering Rhodiola and Ashwanganda (I won't mention the ***t ton of other stuff I tried but didn't work). Rhodiola gave me the same feeling as buproprion without the panic attack and ash allowed me to sleep well for the first time in ages. I faithfully took 500 mg of Now Rhodiola in the AM and 1 Now Ash at night for 2 months. Then one day I just didn't feel like I needed it and the results stuck.

July 2017: I had been off Rhodiola and Ash for several months and almost felt normal again. No depression, suicidal thoughts, brain fog, ect... just calm and present. However, I had zero and I mean zero libido. I was determined that I was ready to get my life fully back so I resolved to myself that I probably had low T and, even if I had to go on T replacement, I was going to do it. So, I booked a visit to my doctor and got some bloods done. (Details at end of thread)

Throughout this time I had gotten back into the gym, lost some weight and started lifting heavy again.

SURPRISE: My T was high, my DHT normal, estrogen was high normal, SHBG was high, glucose borderline high, thyroid and lipids were excellent, 15% BF, cortisol high, DHEA high.

This all lead me back to finasteride. All the symptoms added up.

I am thankful for where I'm at today - as my depression was so severe I am be willing to take no libido over going back to that hell anyday - but I still am working for a complete recovery.

Aztec

Glad you are doing so much better SunJeep! That is always a plus. Thanks for sharing your story. My test levels were over 1,300 when I felt like crap. Wish I would have felt like my score too! Did you use finasteride for 4 years in total?

Last edited:

DuggaDugga

Good to hear you're on the up-and-up. I took for finasteride almost the exact same timeline as you, started Feb 2012 up until about 14 months ago. It really does cause you to slowly regress in every way imaginable. It's been my experience that the body is capable of rectifying most any sort of damage given removal of toxicity.

OP
S

SunJeep

Glad you are doing so much better SunJeep! That is always a plus. Thanks for sharing your story. My test levels were over 1,300 when I felt like crap. Wish I would have felt like my score too! Did you use finasteride for 4 years in total?

Yea give or take, but 4 years is about right. Did you also have high SHBG?

It’s nice to have a little encouragement from others struggling with the same issues!

OP
S

SunJeep

Good to hear you're on the up-and-up. I took for finasteride almost the exact same timeline as you, started Feb 2012 up until about 14 months ago. It really does cause you to slowly regress in every way imaginable. It's been my experience that the body is capable of rectifying most any sort of damage given removal of toxicity.

Thanks man. I’ve actually felt like things are changing for the better lately. There were some dark times before.

Aztec

Yea give or take, but 4 years is about right. Did you also have high SHBG?

It’s nice to have a little encouragement from others struggling with the same issues!

Same here man. My SHBG was at the right level. High DHEA as well. Progesterone slightly elevated. We will all heal very soon. I can feel it!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals