I want to run again

schmolch

I was so happy and fit when i was a decent runner.
I never took an elevator, i wanted to run up the stairs. All of them.

I did a few marathons, most of them barefoot. The fastest was 3:20 in Frankfurt 2012 or 2013.
Good enough for somebody who started exercising in his mid 30s.

Often i would start in the last batch so i could overtake all the slow runners.
People were happy when they realized i was barefoot.
"Look, he forgot his feet!".
"Lets buy him some shoes!".
"Go Sascha!".

Running barefoot through muddy woods was so much fun.
The dirt, the leaves, all the different textures and temperatures of the ground, it never got boring.
It is incredible how much sensory input comes through your feet, it is overwhelming.

I don't care if you say it's stress and it should be avoided.
I want to run again and i will.

P

Peatness

It sounds wonderful running bare feet in the woods. May you be fit and well and able to do it again!!!

I want to hike again.

piro444

Would you eat ice cream if your body craved it? Yes
If your body craves running, run :)

VitoScaletta

I always wanted to try sprinting.
Do you have to be a fit runner first?
I started sprinting after I was habitually running for a year, I don't know what would be best for you. Personally if I'd start exercising again (I haven't in a few years) I would start with running again.
Sprinting is somewhat basic, just run 60m-200m as fast as you can, and repeat as many times as you like. I recommend to time yourself

A sprinting session could be 200m x 3, 100m x 5, 60m x 6, etc...
I used to do 200m x 3 for example. After those 200m sessions I would be completely drained 😃

If you are not sure about distances or don't have a track field near you, pick a straight line in your city via Google Maps / satellite view from the top-down view, there is a feature that lets you measure the distance between 2 points you select, after that then understand where those 2 points you selected were in the real-world via landmarks like lamps, houses, street/road endings etc. and there you go you have a straight line that you know the exact distance of.
Or do j you just warm up, sprint a few times and go home and eat ice-cream :): ?
I recommend that you warm up very very well and dynamically beforehand, there are videos on warm ups before sprints on YouTube.
With hindsight, I'd also recommend not to eat at the least 2 hours minimum before sprints or exercise in general.
For your first sprints I think you shouldn't run with 100% of your full effort, just go through the motions with 40%-70% of your full effort, and towards the end of the session step it up if you like.

As for after, well-cooked starch like potatoes (ideally boiled for as long as possible like 1.5-2 hours on high heat, bare in mind you'll need to add water a few times) as it's very digestible and meat, I find this works VERY well. Nothing fills up liver glycogen stores like starch and the meat goes along perfectly.

VitoScaletta

As for after, well-cooked starch like potatoes (ideally boiled for as long as possible like 1.5-2 hours on high heat, bare in mind you'll need to add water a few times) as it's very digestible and meat, I find this works VERY well. Nothing fills up liver glycogen stores like starch and the meat goes along perfectly.
Also a bit of butter/cream/fatty soup with those potatoes

eimearrose

If you like the idea of sprinting there's no reason you can't do both. Do your running sessions easy enough to run with your mouth closed and do the sprint sessions as your quality work. IMO supplementing easy running with sprints is better than long tempo runs to get you fit but without destroying your hormones. I used to be a very avid runner (twice a day most days, two hard sessions and a long run every week, running usually 130-160k a week). I now just jog 5k about 3 times a week and include some short sharp bursts near the end of at least one of those runs. Occasionally I'll go to the track and run 200s or 300s. I no longer do any long repetitions in the 'grey zone'.

-Luke-

3:20 for an amateur runner who started in his 30s and you call that "decent"?

Edit:
Sorry, I mixed up the times. Thought about 2:20. But that's still a really great time.

Aymen

I always wanted to try sprinting.
Do you have to be a fit runner first?
Or do j you just warm up, sprint a few times and go home and eat ice-cream :): ?
sorry for late reply, i didn't try to sprint when i was obese, but i did when i became fit, sprinting does many good things and made people compliment my walk speed, i always turn heads in the street after a sprint exercise, from women looking at me with envy and men frowning at me, apart of being the most anabolic androgenic exercise it also makes you walk faster, so it's a type of HIIT, Hill sprints drain you faster but if you sprint on the street or flat surface then your energy will not get drained as fast, so you mix honey in cold water 30 minutes before sprinting and once in a while sugared coffee 1 hour before sprinting, you warm up for 5 minutes then you start your first sprint, aim for 8 secondes first time until you reach 20 secondes after a month or two, start slowly and don't overdo it or you will get out of breathe after working out, sprint as fast as you can for 5-8 secondes and imagine like a lion is chasing you so you will give all what you have, then rest 2 minutes and repeat again, like 4-8 times, i prefer to walk during the rest period, so do that 1-2 times a week, 8 reps for 15 minutes once a week or 4 reps for 8 minutes twice a week, when you get back home drink full fat milk or soft boiled eggs with rice, i never ate beef or lamb after sprinting or lifitng, i always had eggs with white rice then few hours after i have whole milk, this was 3 years ago when i was a lifter, i had times when i was just doing sprints and calisthenics only and noticing good results, just don't sprint before a leg workout, and make sure you eat very well and rest very well, i had times when i couldn't sleep the day after sprinting because i was sprinting 30 secondes and with maximum speed and that's very hard so i switched to 20 secondes sprint and it fixed all my problems.

Find good shoes for sprint and look for videos on youtube " how to sprint fast " and " how to sprint correctly' and also breathe with your nose.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals