I want to ride my bicycle

O

oldfriend

I've gotten so fat eating a peat-inspired diet, probably fatter after drifting towards something that looks more like a traditional diet using peat's core principles. In the past, I struggled to keep any weight on. Outside of diet, the biggest change is that I no longer ride a bicycle. I used to ride my bicycle everywhere, and even had something like a reward system; If I wanted to treat myself to some ice cream I had to ride my bicycle, not drive, to the grocery store to get it. Ultimately though, overexercising and dieting (paleo, IF etc.) are what brought me to Peat and left me with a bad taste for exercise.

For a while I've felt that my diet is better and I need to get back to cycling, but I now live in a rural area surrounded by rolling hills and narrow roads (populated by inconsiderate drivers) that isn't conducive to the kind of exercise I used to get. I've tried other exercise routines that involve something like swinging iron balls around or running in place, and it just feels very tedious and joyless to me, like a chore that has never become something I want to keep up. Same goes for bicycle trainers, but I suppose I've never tried using apps or videos to supplement that.

I'm curious, does anyone else here ride a bicycle? Has it helped you to manage your weight? Do you have any recommendations for making training (or any kind of exercise for that matter) more engaging and fun to do at home?

LUH 3417

I've gotten so fat eating a peat-inspired diet, probably fatter after drifting towards something that looks more like a traditional diet using peat's core principles. In the past, I struggled to keep any weight on. Outside of diet, the biggest change is that I no longer ride a bicycle. I used to ride my bicycle everywhere, and even had something like a reward system; If I wanted to treat myself to some ice cream I had to ride my bicycle, not drive, to the grocery store to get it. Ultimately, overexercising and dieting (paleo, IF etc.) are what brought me to Peat and left me with a bad taste for exercise.

For a while I've felt that I need to get back to that, but I now live in a rural area surrounded by rolling hills and narrow roads (populated by inconsiderate drivers) that isn't conducive to the kind of exercise I used to get. I've tried other exercise routines that involve something like swinging iron balls around or running in place, and it just feels very tedious and joyless to me, like a chore that has never become something I want to keep up. Same goes for bicycle trainers, but I suppose I've never tried using apps or videos to supplement that.

I'm curious, does anyone else here ride a bicycle? Has it helped you to manage your weight? Do you have any recommendations for making training (or any kind of exercise for that matter) more engaging and fun to do at home?
I try to ride my bicycle everywhere when I can . Way before I found Peat, I used to ride my bike over nyc bridges, about 15 miles a day back and forth from work, home, school. I was in the best physical shape of my life, very slim but toned and proportioned. I also felt like my posture improved from riding a bike, my shoulders didn’t slouch. I too find other exercise tedious and have been trying to drag myself to a gym or some sorts but nothing is as fun for me as getting on my bike. I find repetitive forced movement while remaining stationary to be the most boring and soul sucking thing for me, so I’m sorry but I have no recommendation for other types of movement.

JamesGatz

I was gaining fat when I first started but I attribute this to my consistent consumption of ice cream, butter, and coconut oil - I do best when my protein is higher than fat but if my fat is too low I also get stressed so it is a balance - Once I stopped the ice cream and kept butter and coconut oil on the lower end my body type looks a lot better now - I don't have much fat but I'm more of a healthy thicker/strong type

Everyday I ride either my skateboard, scooter, or bike - I usually alternate between the 3 - It doesn't feel like much exercise, but it does a lot of good for my metabolism and mental health - It shoots up my dopamine a lot higher than walking everywhere - I do think it helps a lot

OP
O

oldfriend

I was gaining fat when I first started but I attribute this to my consistent consumption of ice cream, butter, and coconut oil - I do best when my protein is higher than fat but if my fat is too low I also get stressed so it is a balance - Once I stopped the ice cream and kept butter and coconut oil on the lower end my body type looks a lot better now - I don't have much fat but I'm more of a healthy thicker/strong type

Everyday I ride either my skateboard, scooter, or bike - I usually alternate between the 3 - It doesn't feel like much exercise, but it does a lot of good for my metabolism and mental health - It shoots up my dopamine a lot higher than walking everywhere - I do think it helps a lot
For sure. Putting weight on was a positive change at the beginning but at this point, my consumption isn't balanced with activity so it's kind difficult to draw conclusions about appropriate macro ratios. My main focus there has just been keeping my blood sugar stable, stress down etc.. Anyways, I can echo many of the things you've said about mental health, a sense of well-being, etc. but know that even light exercise plays a role in metabolism and feel like it's probably the next important component in the process of getting my diet dialed in if that makes sense.

I've gotten so fat eating a peat-inspired diet, probably fatter after drifting towards something that looks more like a traditional diet using peat's core principles. In the past, I struggled to keep any weight on. Outside of diet, the biggest change is that I no longer ride a bicycle. I used to ride my bicycle everywhere, and even had something like a reward system; If I wanted to treat myself to some ice cream I had to ride my bicycle, not drive, to the grocery store to get it. Ultimately though, overexercising and dieting (paleo, IF etc.) are what brought me to Peat and left me with a bad taste for exercise.

For a while I've felt that my diet is better and I need to get back to cycling, but I now live in a rural area surrounded by rolling hills and narrow roads (populated by inconsiderate drivers) that isn't conducive to the kind of exercise I used to get. I've tried other exercise routines that involve something like swinging iron balls around or running in place, and it just feels very tedious and joyless to me, like a chore that has never become something I want to keep up. Same goes for bicycle trainers, but I suppose I've never tried using apps or videos to supplement that.

What about a dog to get you walking?