What Could Be Going On With My System? Inability To Handle Most Supplements

I’ve got brain damage due to a benzo / thienodiazapine drug I abused years ago.

I react to supplements such as most Bs, especially B6 and most amino acids, specifically ones that work on GABA receptors like L thianine and Taurine. Today I took low dose taurine in morning since it’s recommended here so often, now my paresthsia, peripheral neuropathy and some tinnitus is worse..same with anxiety.

I can’t quite understand why my system can’t tolerate these supplements. Is the taurine increasing glutamate?

I believe my glutamate is running wild but don’t know how to fix this. Anyone know how?

I know I should ask on a benzo website but the people on this forum appear to be quite knowledgeable too.

Vinero

Most supplements are extremely bad quality.
I have the same problem with nearly every supplement I have tried.
Most irritate my stomach badly, or it feels toxic in some way.
I have gotten very sick multiple times from supplements.
I have given up on most commercial supplements to be honest.

OP
C
Most supplements are extremely bad quality.
I have the same problem with nearly every supplement I have tried.
Most irritate my stomach badly, or it feels toxic in some way.
I have gotten very sick multiple times from supplements.
I have given up on most commercial supplements to be honest.

As in the additives-fillers making it bad quality?
I don’t seem to react to other supplements, the ones that effect on GABA screw with my CNS.
The l-thianine was from liftmode had no other ingredients.

Vinero

As in the additives-fillers making it bad quality?
I don’t seem to react to other supplements, the ones that effect on GABA screw with my CNS.
The l-thianine was from liftmode had no other ingredients.
Each additive filler is a problem and can be allergenic, but even if there are no fillers there can be allergens that aren't listed on the label.
Last I read that pure glycine powder was contaminated with lead.
I am very wary of supplements nowadays.
The only supplements I trust are from this site, haidut and others.
And of course Progest-E created by Ray Peat.

Vinero

Have you ever tried Progest-E by the way? Progesterone is known to raise GABA levels.
If raising GABA levels are your goal progesterone is excellent for that.

OP
C
Have you ever tried Progest-E by the way? Progesterone is known to raise GABA levels.
If raising GABA levels are your goal progesterone is excellent for that.

Could be an allergen I’ll consider this. It still seems like a major coincidence though. I did not know progesterone raises GABA, my levels were low from what I recall so will look into this thanks.

tara

I'm wondering what you mean by low doses? 5mg B6? 500mg taurine?

There are threads describing risks of excessive B6 supplementation, and I think neuropathy may have featured.
I think I've seen people say too much taurine without checking out how you respond to smaller doses can have strong, not necessarily desirable effects too.

I think Peat's said he's known a number of people to resolve their issues when they stopped all their supplements.

Difficulties with supplements can include:
- excipients that cause irritation or harm of their own
- contamination of the intended ingredients, eg during the manufacturing process eg with various heavy metals, amongst them lead
- allergic reactions to either of the above
- dosage to high
- supplement on it's own without the appropriate context with other substances or foods etc that the body needs to make good use of it - out of balance
(- and that's assuming there's something potentially useful there - then there's inappropriately supplementing things that are directly harmful in themselves, either in general (eg fish oil) or to the individual in particular state.)

There can be a case for particular supplements sometimes anyway.

OP
C
I'm wondering what you mean by low doses? 5mg B6? 500mg taurine?

There are threads describing risks of excessive B6 supplementation, and I think neuropathy may have featured.
I think I've seen people say too much taurine without checking out how you respond to smaller doses can have strong, not necessarily desirable effects too.

I think Peat's said he's known a number of people to resolve their issues when they stopped all their supplements.

Difficulties with supplements can include:
- excipients that cause irritation or harm of their own
- contamination of the intended ingredients, eg during the manufacturing process eg with various heavy metals, amongst them lead
- allergic reactions to either of the above
- dosage to high
- supplement on it's own without the appropriate context with other substances or foods etc that the body needs to make good use of it - out of balance
(- and that's assuming there's something potentially useful there - then there's inappropriately supplementing things that are directly harmful in themselves, either in general (eg fish oil) or to the individual in particular state.)

There can be a case for particular supplements sometimes anyway.

Thanks for the info, agreed I should quit experimenting with supplements. I took 100mg b6 yesterday and today about 300mg Taurine.

The buzzing, pain and electricity in my foot is always there for years, but certain supplements make it way worse.

tara

Thanks for the info, agreed I should quit experimenting with supplements. I took 100mg b6 yesterday and today about 300mg Taurine.
I don't necessarily think you should completely stop experimenting with supplements.

I think it's wise to be informed and cautious about it, use modest doses unless you've done enough research to know what you are doing, and pay attention to the effects so you can back off when something seems to do more harm than good.

If I were having any signs of neuropathy, I would definitely back off the B6 for a while. If you decide to try it again in the future, consider trying doses of the order of 5-10 mg.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals