Cell Death and Raised Inflammatory mediators after exposure to delta 9 THC/ other CB1 Agonists. (Role of Endocannabinoid system?)

Sapien

There have been a few posts on the forum lately about The anti androgen effects of THC.
In addition to this, it seems THC is a potent inflammatory agent:

Below I have posted several quotes from articles relating to the inflamitory cascade caused by CB-1 stimulation.

“Cisplatin significantly increased endocannabinoid anandamide content, activation of p38 and JNK mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs), apoptotic and poly (ADP-ribose)polymerase-dependent cell death, enhanced inflammation (leucocyte infiltration, tumour necrosis factor-α and interleukin-1β) and promoted oxidative/nitrosative stress [increased expressions of superoxide-generating enzymes (NOX2(gp91phox), NOX4), inducible nitric oxide synthase and tissue 4-hydroxynonenal and nitrotyrosine levels] in the kidneys of mice, accompanied by marked histopathological damage and impaired renal function (elevated creatinine and serum blood urea nitrogen) 3 days following its administration. Both genetic deletion and pharmacological inhibition of CB1 receptors with AM281 or SR141716 markedly attenuated the cisplatin-induced renal dysfunction and interrelated oxidative/nitrosative stress, p38 and JNK MAPK activation, cell death and inflammatory response in the kidney.

The endocannabinoid system through CB1receptors promotes cisplatin-induced tissue injury by amplifying MAPK activation, cell death and interrelated inflammation and oxidative/nitrosative stress. These results also suggest that inhibition of CB1receptors may exert beneficial effects in renal (and most likely other) diseases associated with enhanced inflammation, oxidative/nitrosative stress and cell death”

Other studies show it releases arachidonic acid "THC neurotoxicity is attributable to activation of the PLA 2 - COX pathway in neurons, THC should stimulate arachidonic acid release. Treatment of cultured hippocampal neurons with THC induced the release of arachidonic acid from cultured hippocam- pal neurons, which was completely blocked by SR141716A, the CB1 receptor antagonist (Fig. 6).

and: Link: “Here we show that synaptic and cognitive impairments following repeated exposure to Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC) are associated with the induction of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), an inducible enzyme that converts arachidonic acid to prostanoids, in the brain. COX-2 induction by Δ9-THC is mediated via CB1 receptor-coupled G-protein βγ subunits.

This was quite surprising to me. I didn't know THC and PUFA/inflammation had anything to do with each other.

I guess its not shocking that THC can kill brain cells, harm memory, but this was the first time I had seen the mechanism spelled out.

The implications of this are vast. for example: I heard @haidut say on Paul's podcast something about HNE-4 which i mentioned above being connected to alzheimers or dementia (forget which one); (as well as countless warnings about COX and the Prostaglandins and the wonders of Asprin.)

Another one: “"In summary, treatment of hippocampal neurons with THC induces transcriptionally dependent cell death. This suggests that memory loss associated with marijuana treatment of rodents, and perhaps humans, may be attributable to THC neurotoxicity. The identification of a specific signal transduction system responsible for THC toxicity and the discovery that aspirin and vitamin E inhibit this neurotoxicity suggest pharmacological tools to block THC-induced cell death" (I will discuss some additional tools for this later in the post)

Pharmacological or genetic inhibition of COX-2 blocks down-regulation and internalization of glutamate receptor subunits and alterations of the dendritic spine density of hippocampal neurons induced by repeated Δ9-THC exposures. Ablation of COX-2 also eliminates Δ9-THC-impaired hippocampal long-term synaptic plasticity, spatial, and fear memories.”

It seems Cox inhibitors are very protective against the harms cannabis, without reducing the “high”.

Interestingly, some of the non psychoactive cannabinoids have been shown to be potent anti inflammatory, blocking the cox enzymes and completely inhibiting the cox2 action of thc. The structure of the “acidic” cannabinoids (cbda, cbga, thca)(all non psychoactive) have a salicylic acid molecule in their center. Specifically, cbg and cbga were shown to inhibit cox the most.

(some other interesting side notes on these non psychoactive cannabinoids.)
1. I found that cbga is an extremely potent a2a andrenergic agonist, similar to clonidine. This could be an effective agent for lowering noradrenaline
Cbg also reduces nitric oxide ive read

2. Cbda is an extremely potent 5ht1a receptor agonist (100x the potency at 5ht1a as cbd), could be useful in keeping serotonin low. (an agonist at 5ht1a will actually conterintuitively lower serotonergic tone.
In addition, stimulation of the 5ht1a receptor has been shown in the literature to :
"5-HT1A receptor activation has been shown to increase dopamine release in the medial prefrontal cortex, striatum, and hippocampus, and may be useful for improving the symptoms of schizophrenia and Parkinson's disease.[39] As mentioned above, some of the atypical antipsychotics are 5-HT1A receptor partial agonists, and this property has been shown to enhance their clinical efficacy.[39][40][41] Enhancement of dopamine release in these areas may also play a major role in the antidepressant and anxiolytic effects seen upon postsynaptic activation of the 5-HT1A receptor.[42][43]

The activation of 5-HT1A receptors has been demonstrated to impair certain aspects of memory (affecting declarative and non-declarative memory functions) and learning (due to interference with memory-encoding mechanisms), by inhibiting the release of glutamate and acetylcholine in various areas of the brain.[44] 5-HT1A activation is known to improve cognitive functions associated with the prefrontal cortex, possibly via inducing prefrontal cortex dopamine and acetylcholine release.[45] Conversely, the 5-HT1A antagonist, WAY100635, alleviated learning and memory impairments induced by glutamate blockade (with dizocilpine)[46] or hippocampal cholinergic denervation (by fornix transection)[47] in primates. Furthermore, 5-HT1A receptor antagonists such as lecozotan have been shown to facilitate certain types of learning and memory in rodents, and as a result, are being developed as novel treatments for Alzheimer's disease.[48]

Other effects of 5-HT1A activation that have been observed in scientific research include:

3. Cbd is a “negative allosteric modulator” of the cb1 receptor, possible supplement for someone looking to reduce cb1 tone (Although I read it can inhibit FAAH, the enzyme that breaks down endogenous cannabinoids , thus increasing endogenous cannabinoids such as 2-ag, so maybe not)

4. All cannabinoid have a wide range of effects on what are known as TRP-V channels

5 Thcv works in the opposite mechanism of thc, blocking the cb1 receptor (similar to the failed drug rimonabant, expect it is not a “suicidal” “inverse agonist”. Thus, it is not dangerous like the pharma drug.
It has potential in insulin resistance and has been shown to increase glucose utilization/sucrose preference (Can’t find source at the moment)
In lowering cb1 tone, the cb1 antagonistthc-v” as well negative allosteric modulation of the cb1 receptor (both pregnenalone and cbd are NAMs) could be of medical use.

I wonder however if pharmalogical blockade would provide an ill effects. I still don't understand what the endocannabinoid system is/does.
I would like to understand the endocannabinoid system better, as it seems to be an integral part of the human body. It is the largest receptor coupled G protein receptor in the human brain, for example. This alone makes understanding it essential for a complete understanding of biochemistry.

It has been suggested modulating (raising or lowering CB1 tone) ". According to Pal Pacher and Geroge Kunos, leading scientists with the U.S. National Institutes of Health, “[M]odulating endocannabinoid system activity may have therapeutic potential in almost all diseases affecting humans, including obesity/metabolic syndrome, diabetes and diabetic complications, neurodegenerative, inflammatory, cardiovascular, liver, gastrointestinal, skin diseases, pain, psychiatric disorders, cachexia, cancer, chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting among many others.”

...of course, they are coming at this with a mentality of creating pharmaceutical drugs with this statement, rather than the natural plant (which is unpatentable). This didn't work out great on their first attempt - Rimonabant: depression and suicide - PubMed

Last edited:

frannybananny

There have been a few posts on the forum lately about The anti androgen effects of THC.
In addition to this, it seems THC is a potent inflammatory agent:

Below I have posted several quotes from articles relating to the inflamitory cascade caused by CB-1 stimulation.

“Cisplatin significantly increased endocannabinoid anandamide content, activation of p38 and JNK mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs), apoptotic and poly (ADP-ribose)polymerase-dependent cell death, enhanced inflammation (leucocyte infiltration, tumour necrosis factor-α and interleukin-1β) and promoted oxidative/nitrosative stress [increased expressions of superoxide-generating enzymes (NOX2(gp91phox), NOX4), inducible nitric oxide synthase and tissue 4-hydroxynonenal and nitrotyrosine levels] in the kidneys of mice, accompanied by marked histopathological damage and impaired renal function (elevated creatinine and serum blood urea nitrogen) 3 days following its administration. Both genetic deletion and pharmacological inhibition of CB1 receptors with AM281 or SR141716 markedly attenuated the cisplatin-induced renal dysfunction and interrelated oxidative/nitrosative stress, p38 and JNK MAPK activation, cell death and inflammatory response in the kidney.

The endocannabinoid system through CB1receptors promotes cisplatin-induced tissue injury by amplifying MAPK activation, cell death and interrelated inflammation and oxidative/nitrosative stress. These results also suggest that inhibition of CB1receptors may exert beneficial effects in renal (and most likely other) diseases associated with enhanced inflammation, oxidative/nitrosative stress and cell death”

Other studies show it releases arachidonic acid "THC neurotoxicity is attributable to activation of the PLA 2 - COX pathway in neurons, THC should stimulate arachidonic acid release. Treatment of cultured hippocampal neurons with THC induced the release of arachidonic acid from cultured hippocam- pal neurons, which was completely blocked by SR141716A, the CB1 receptor antagonist (Fig. 6).

and: Link: “Here we show that synaptic and cognitive impairments following repeated exposure to Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC) are associated with the induction of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), an inducible enzyme that converts arachidonic acid to prostanoids, in the brain. COX-2 induction by Δ9-THC is mediated via CB1 receptor-coupled G-protein βγ subunits.

This was quite surprising to me. I didn't know THC and PUFA/inflammation had anything to do with each other.

I guess its not shocking that THC can kill brain cells, harm memory, but this was the first time I had seen the mechanism spelled out.

The implications of this are vast. for example: I heard @haidut say on Paul's podcast something about HNE-4 which i mentioned above being connected to alzheimers or dementia (forget which one); (as well as countless warnings about COX and the Prostaglandins and the wonders of Asprin.)

Another one: “"In summary, treatment of hippocampal neurons with THC induces transcriptionally dependent cell death. This suggests that memory loss associated with marijuana treatment of rodents, and perhaps humans, may be attributable to THC neurotoxicity. The identification of a specific signal transduction system responsible for THC toxicity and the discovery that aspirin and vitamin E inhibit this neurotoxicity suggest pharmacological tools to block THC-induced cell death" (I will discuss some additional tools for this later in the post)

Pharmacological or genetic inhibition of COX-2 blocks down-regulation and internalization of glutamate receptor subunits and alterations of the dendritic spine density of hippocampal neurons induced by repeated Δ9-THC exposures. Ablation of COX-2 also eliminates Δ9-THC-impaired hippocampal long-term synaptic plasticity, spatial, and fear memories.”

It seems Cox inhibitors are very protective against the harms cannabis, without reducing the “high”.

Interestingly, some of the non psychoactive cannabinoids have been shown to be potent anti inflammatory, blocking the cox enzymes and completely inhibiting the cox2 action of thc. The structure of the “acidic” cannabinoids (cbda, cbga, thca)(all non psychoactive) have a salicylic acid molecule in their center. Specifically, cbg and cbga were shown to inhibit cox the most.

(some other interesting side notes on these non psychoactive cannabinoids.)
1. I found that cbga is an extremely potent a2a andrenergic agonist, similar to clonidine. This could be an effective agent for lowering noradrenaline
Cbg also reduces nitric oxide ive read

2. Cbda is an extremely potent 5ht1a receptor agonist (100x the potency at 5ht1a as cbd), could be useful in keeping serotonin low. (an agonist at 5ht1a will actually conterintuitively lower serotonergic tone.
In addition, stimulation of the 5ht1a receptor has been shown in the literature to :

3. Cbd is a “negative allosteric modulator” of the cb1 receptor, possible supplement for someone looking to reduce cb1 tone (Although I read it can inhibit FAAH, the enzyme that breaks down endogenous cannabinoids , thus increasing endogenous cannabinoids such as 2-ag, so maybe not)

4. All cannabinoid have a wide range of effects on what are known as TRP-V channels

5 Thcv works in the opposite mechanism of thc, blocking the cb1 receptor (similar to the failed drug rimonabant, expect it is not a “suicidal” “inverse agonist”. Thus, it is not dangerous like the pharma drug.
It has potential in insulin resistance and has been shown to increase glucose utilization/sucrose preference (Can’t find source at the moment)
In lowering cb1 tone, the cb1 antagonistthc-v” as well negative allosteric modulation of the cb1 receptor (both pregnenalone and cbd are NAMs) could be of medical use.

I wonder however if pharmalogical blockade would provide an ill effects. I still don't understand what the endocannabinoid system is/does.
I would like to understand the endocannabinoid system better, as it seems to be an integral part of the human body. It is the largest receptor coupled G protein receptor in the human brain, for example. This alone makes understanding it essential for a complete understanding of biochemistry.

It has been suggested modulating (raising or lowering CB1 tone) ". According to Pal Pacher and Geroge Kunos, leading scientists with the U.S. National Institutes of Health, “[M]odulating endocannabinoid system activity may have therapeutic potential in almost all diseases affecting humans, including obesity/metabolic syndrome, diabetes and diabetic complications, neurodegenerative, inflammatory, cardiovascular, liver, gastrointestinal, skin diseases, pain, psychiatric disorders, cachexia, cancer, chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting among many others.”

...of course, they are coming at this with a mentality of creating pharmaceutical drugs with this statement, rather than the natural plant (which is unpatentable). This didn't work out great on their first attempt - Rimonabant: depression and suicide - PubMed
Well. this is a very complicated and intricate article but I am confused. In the following paragraph almost every other sentence seems to directly contradict the one before it. I wish we could have a discussion about this but I don't think I can even understand enough to discuss it! lol. Maybe you could include a few simple definitions of your terms?

>>
The activation of 5-HT1A receptors has been demonstrated to impair certain aspects of memory (affecting declarative and non-declarative memory functions) and learning (due to interference with memory-encoding mechanisms), by inhibiting the release of glutamate and acetylcholine in various areas of the brain.[44] 5-HT1A activation is known to improve cognitive functions associated with the prefrontal cortex, possibly via inducing prefrontal cortex dopamine and acetylcholine release.[45] Conversely, the 5-HT1A antagonist, WAY100635, alleviated learning and memory impairments induced by glutamate blockade (with dizocilpine)[46] or hippocampal cholinergic denervation (by fornix transection)[47] in primates. Furthermore, 5-HT1A receptor antagonists such as lecozotan have been shown to facilitate certain types of learning and memory in rodents, and as a result, are being developed as novel treatments for Alzheimer's disease.[48]<<

Also, I don't see how/where you made this connection?
>>This was quite surprising to me. I didn't know THC and PUFA/inflammation had anything to do with each other.<<

Last edited:

DonLore

So, does this mean low-THC cannabis is very beneficial? Since almost everything else in cannabis is good except THC?

OP
Sapien

Sapien

Also, I don't see how/where you made this connection?
>>This was quite surprising to me. I didn't know THC and PUFA/inflammation had anything to do with each other.<<
The inflamitory markers I mentioned such as IL6, Cox-2, I have heard Haidut say are direct products of pufa

Also I cited a study in which THC was shown to release Arachadonic acid

Also, something I forgot to mention is that all of the (known) endogenous cannabinoids your body produces are made up of arachadonic acid (anandamide/ 2-ag)

OP
Sapien

Sapien

So, does this mean low-THC cannabis is very beneficial? Since almost everything else in cannabis is good except THC?
I think so. I’m particularly intrigued by cbda for anti serotonin effects and cbg(a) for its a2a inhibiton, and both potently inhibit Cox-2 and tnf alpha

There is simply not enough good research for me to say for sure, (the exact mechanism of action for these compounds has not been fully elucidated), but there are a lot of well done studies showing great medical potential. Check out this meta analysis on cbg

As far as low thc Marijauna (/marijuana products) your options are buying the isolated forms of these compounds
or buying cbda hemp or cbga hemp. (Can decarb to get cbd/cbg)

Make sure to not smoke the hemp though as its terpenes and just smoking plant matter in general has estrogenic effects. (Marijuana smoke condensate, but not THC, CBD, or CBN estrogenic)

CBD I think should be avoided due to its ability to increase endogenous cannabinoids (unless one seeks to upregulate the endocannabinoid system of course) (it is the only known cannabinoid to do this. Cbda doesn’t)
, and one should be careful taking cbg(a) since it is a 5ht1a antagonist
(5ht1a agonist (like cbda) alongside cbg should alleviate these effects)

As far as I know no other serotonergic properties of cannabis are known, but there is a potential risk in these compounds having unwanted effects at other serotonin receptors. Proceed with caution

Last edited:
OP
Sapien

Sapien

The activation of 5-HT1A receptors has been demonstrated to impair certain aspects of memory (affecting declarative and non-declarative memory functions) and learning (due to interference with memory-encoding mechanisms), by inhibiting the release of glutamate and acetylcholine in various areas of the brain.[44] 5-HT1A activation is known to improve cognitive functions associated with the prefrontal cortex, possibly via inducing prefrontal cortex dopamine and acetylcholine release.[45] Conversely, the 5-HT1A antagonist, WAY100635, alleviated learning and memory impairments induced by glutamate blockade (with dizocilpine)[46] or hippocampal cholinergic denervation (by fornix transection)[47] in primates. Furthermore, 5-HT1A receptor antagonists such as lecozotan have been shown to facilitate certain types of learning and memory in rodents, and as a result, are being developed as novel treatments for Alzheimer's disease.[48]<<
“The following paragraph contradicts itself”
You’re right oops. My mistake

I actually think inhibiting acetylcholine and glutamate could be a good thing though ironically.

“The following paragraph contradicts itself”
You’re right oops. My mistake

I actually think inhibiting acetylcholine and glutamate could be a good thing though ironically.
Bingo! You should look into cb1 signaling in astrocytes.
Under chronic THC use there are more glutamate and other gliotransmitters released in the intercellular space
NMDA and Nicotinic Ach receptors are modulated
Calcium in the cells accumulate (probably this also makes accumulate more iron - very bad)
Such chronically elevated glutamatergic tone makes inflammation
There's also CB1 receptor inside the cell that regulate ETC Complex 1 (less energy for cells)
There's also dopamine receptor d1-d2 receptors elevated in chronic weed smokers (more noise and calcium in the cells)
Calcium is what stimulates all the important cell activity, but it is not a such activity that is required for proper LTP signaling - in the end, there's only inflammation left.

All those factors combined make our brain stimulated in the energy deficient state by doing nothing...

trance

That’s interesting that it increases glutamate, which I think people with autism have more of. I felt like I got autism symptoms (social impairment, trouble making eye contact) after abusing THC when I was a teenager.

I wonder if Post Marijuana Syndrome is a more widespread problem than PFS.

Pregnenolone, agmatine, l-theanine, cox inhibitors, taurine helps a lot.

Also using cannabis with a balanced cannabinoid content, not 25-30% pure THC flowers helps a lot!

frannybananny

That’s interesting that it increases glutamate, which I think people with autism have more of. I felt like I got autism symptoms (social impairment, trouble making eye contact) after abusing THC when I was a teenager.

I wonder if Post Marijuana Syndrome is a more widespread problem than PFS.
What is PFS?

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/8BtjC6OLkpE?feature=share

Nice short about the importance of astrocytes. By understanding CB1 signaling in astrocytes you'll get better understanding of THC chronic use harms. So astrocytes regulate brain regions' activity by rising or lowering glutamate in extracellular space. By stimulating CB1 receptors on astrocytes you are getting higher base glutamate levels. By taking THC on rare occasions it can make someone really more creative, but under chronic THC exposure, it downregulates important glutamate receptors (AMPA, NMDA). Those receptors are very important for learning, memory and ability to focus. Such an elevated glutamate state is what is driving brain inflammation processes mostly. There are also other things like scaffold proteins. CB1 is connected to scaffold protein NAF which triggers ceramides, which triggers TNF-a.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals