Estrogen Potentiates "addiction" Through The Endocannabinoid (CB1) Receptor

haidut

Forum Supporter
Please do not take this as an attack on weed. I found this by accident while researching the similarities between estrogen and cocaine, which Ray has written about before. So, the study is really about estrogen and cocaine "addiction". I think the key takeaway is that the endocannabinoid receptor 1 (CB1) plays a role in stress and "addiction". Given that "addiction" is simply a manifestation of chronic stress, the CB1 receptor may have a role in potentiating the effects of stress as CB1 activation by estrogen potentiated addictive behavior. Increased addictive behavior is usually an attempt to lower the stress. It is well-known that estrogen increases cortisol synthesis, so it would be interesting to see if activation of the CB1 receptor does the same.
There is good news as well. While there are many downstream pathways that manifest the effects of stress, blocking the CB1 receptor is a fairly straightforward process - i.e. pregnenolone is a known CB1 antagonist, as the recent study on marijuana showed. As you can see from the study below, the CB1 antagonist blocked the effects of estradiol. Combined with the fact that pregnenolone is the most potent inhibitor of CRH release (which also plays a big role in addiction) pregnenolone emerges as a very robust approach for mitigating the effects of stress and its symptom "addiction". There are studies already underway with pregnenolone in humans after animal studies showed that the HED of 10mg/kg pregnenolone stopped alcohol administration even in heavily alcoholic rats.
Not sure how can people still recommend estrogen therapy in the face of so much evidence against this vile substance...

Estradiol impacts the endocannabinoid system in female rats to influence behavioral and structural responses to cocaine

• Estradiol facilitated sensitization depends on cannabinoid type 1 receptors.
• Estradiol reduces dendritic spine density via cannabinoid type 1 receptors.

Endocannabinoids mediate estradiol potentiation of drug addiction.

"...Compared with men, women show enhanced responses to drugs of abuse, and consequently are thought to be more vulnerable to addiction. The ovarian hormone estradiol has emerged as a key facilitator in the heightened development of addiction in females. These actions of estradiol appear mediated by estrogen receptor (ER) activation of metabotropic glutamate receptor type 5 (mGluR5). However, the downstream effectors of this ER/mGluR5 signaling pathway are unknown. Here we investigate whether cannabinoid 1 receptor (CB1R) activation is a part of the mechanism whereby estradiol influences behavioral and synaptic correlates of addiction. Following repeated cocaine administration, estradiol-treated ovariectomized rats exhibited both sensitized locomotor responses and decreases in the dendritic spine density of nucleus accumbens core medium-spiny neurons in comparison to oil-treated controls. Both effects of estradiol were blocked by AM251, a CB1R inverse agonist. These results indicate that part of the signaling mechanism through which estradiol impacts behavioral and synaptic correlates of addiction in female rats requires activation of CB1Rs.

Tarmander

There are people who say "I have an addictive personality." Would that just be lingo for "I am overly estrogenic"?

L

lollipop

There are people who say "I have an addictive personality." Would that just be lingo for "I am overly estrogenic"?
I also wonder about this. Look at the characteristics of most people with that behavior, to me after some unscientific observation, they mimic high estrogen, high serotonin high "stress" behaviors like anxiety, and then crash later down the line when the body can not keep up...

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Oh yes, definitely high estrogen and high cortisol. The two go hand in hand. These overachiving types, with catabolic look and boney faces, arrogant, irritable, and dismissive. All signs of high estrogen, cortisol and serotonin.

Tarmander

Oh yes, definitely high estrogen and high cortisol. The two go hand in hand. These overachiving types, with catabolic look and boney faces, arrogant, irritable, and dismissive. All signs of high estrogen, cortisol and serotonin.

Hmm. My experience has been that those types are loath to admit to addictive faults. I was thinking of women who are kind of jovial, overweight, a bit anxious, and justifying some type of behavior. The person you described sounds like someone more into the acute phase of estrogen dominance...ie just starting estrogen birth control.

CoolTweetPete

This is very interesting.

I looked up the CB1 receptor and it seems THC activates it. So pregnenolone might be a great idea when using weed. I have tinkered with switching to vaporizing marijuana only.

I've seen Peat mention the estrogenic effects of smoking marijuana and I thought maybe it was only because of the smoke inhalation, but this seems to suggest that CB1 is activated regardless. Do you think this is a fair assumption to make?

smoking is anti-estrogenic

MMS: Error

THIS STUDY DEMONSTRATES THAT SMOKING EXERTS A POWERFUL INDUCING EFFECT OF ESTRADIOL METABOLISM, WHICH IS LIKELY TO LEAD TO DECREASED BIO-AVAILABILITY AT ESTROGEN TARGET TISSUES

CoolTweetPete

THIS STUDY DEMONSTRATES THAT SMOKING EXERTS A POWERFUL INDUCING EFFECT OF ESTRADIOL METABOLISM, WHICH IS LIKELY TO LEAD TO DECREASED BIO-AVAILABILITY AT ESTROGEN TARGET TISSUES

Interesting. This does not jive with Peat's view.

Though I don't think I've ever seen him discuss a mechanism on the estrogenic activity of mj.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

The main anti-estrogenic effects of smoking come from nicotine, cotinine, anabasine, and some other chemicals in tobacco. They are all potent aromatase inhibitors. Apparently, cotinine is even being developed as a drug:
Cotinine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nicotine, cotinine, and anabasine inhibit aromatase in human trophoblast in vitro. - PubMed - NCBI

lvysaur

Being in a bad metabolic state makes me prefer "addictive" things.

I'll get cravings for fried foods, starches, meat and cheese in large quantities, and addictive flavors that are probably glutamate-rich. I also eat really fast, and I find sugar unappealing.

My sex drive also tends to become focused on hypersexual looking women (huge hips/****, extreme submissiveness, depravity)

In a good state, these desires go away, and I'll be content with eating mostly "functional foods" like milk and sugar, fruit, eggs, and eating meats and starch slowly and methodically (which also increases digestibility through salivary amylase). The sex drive becomes preferential toward less sexual looking women, and the types that would previously incite extreme arousal will now inspire very little arousal or actively turn me off.

EndAllDisease

Hey since the 'receptor' theory is probably not correct and as Ray says, "the whole cell is the receptor", what does it mean then when something is said to "activate the CB1 receptor"?

dand

This is very interesting.

I looked up the CB1 receptor and it seems THC activates it. So pregnenolone might be a great idea when using weed. I have tinkered with switching to vaporizing marijuana only.

I've seen Peat mention the estrogenic effects of smoking marijuana and I thought maybe it was only because of the smoke inhalation, but this seems to suggest that CB1 is activated regardless. Do you think this is a fair assumption to make?

My anecdotal take is that MJ is estrogenic, but it is less so when vaporized. Pansterone is very useful in minimizing this, also, in my anecdotal experience.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
My anecdotal take is that MJ is estrogenic, but it is less so when vaporized. Pansterone is very useful in minimizing this, also, in my anecdotal experience.

The new steroid supplement I am working on may block both the estrogenic and anti-androgenic effects of MJ. It may synergize well with Pansterone, while combined with Progestene it could negate some of the anti-androgenic effects of progesterone. And the best part - it's OTC (at least in the USA) :)

Last edited:

dand

I'm going to start calling you "Haisus" for Haidut and Jesus. Can't wait!

CoolTweetPete

Hey since the 'receptor' theory is probably not correct and as Ray says, "the whole cell is the receptor", what does it mean then when something is said to "activate the CB1 receptor"?

I have wondered this before as well. I read the whole receptor article, but it went over my head so much I thought I was wearing a hat.

CoolTweetPete

The new steroid supplement I am working on can fully block both the estrogenic and anti-androgenic effects of MJ. It synergizes incredibly well with Pansterone, while combined with Progestene it is probably a stronger aromatase inhibitor than letrozole. And the best part - it's OTC (at least in the USA) :)

Can't. Wait.

dand

The new steroid supplement I am working on can fully block both the estrogenic and anti-androgenic effects of MJ. It synergizes incredibly well with Pansterone, while combined with Progestene it is probably a stronger aromatase inhibitor than letrozole. And the best part - it's OTC (at least in the USA) :)

Which supplement was this? 5a-dhp?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

dand

I love that there are so many that more or less accomplish this that it is hard to remember

DJ Sanchez

One of the main arguments against weed is that over time it down regulates the cb1 receptors wouldn’t this be a good thing? Also seeing as CBD is a cb1 receptor antagonist it would be a good idea to use CBD alongside THC. It has been well known anecdotally in pothead circles that CBD can regulate your high and even decrease the effects of THC.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals