We All Scream For No Cream Ice Cream - In Minutes! (with photos)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat, thank you for the suggestions. That’s such a smart idea to use gelatin. I imagine it mimics the gums used in commercial ice creams. Does it need to be heated once it’s added to the milk or can it be bloomed with some water and melted in the microwave first, then added to, and dissolved in, room temp milk? I’m trying to keep the milk raw if possible.

I am gonna do the honey gelatin ice cream today. I am leery to add water since I am not using cream, but if you have cream then bloom a tablespoon of gelatin in some water and microwave like you said. I think I will try that too. Maybe I should go out and get some cream for this….

Jennifer

@Rinse & rePeat, I'll skim off some cream from one of the bottles of raw milk in case I can't get the gelatin to dissolve. I've successfully dissolved water bloomed gelatin in fresh pressed juice so I'm hoping it will work with milk. If not, I found a basic recipe that calls for 1 cup of raw milk, 2 cups of raw cream, 1/2 a cup of honey and 2 teaspoons of vanilla. I could also try replacing some or all of the cream with a mild tasting banana like Nam Wah.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat, I'll skim off some cream from one of the bottles of raw milk in case I can't get the gelatin to dissolve. I've successfully dissolved water bloomed gelatin in fresh pressed juice so I'm hoping it will work with milk. If not, I found a basic recipe that calls for 1 cup of raw milk, 2 cups of raw cream, 1/2 a cup of honey and 2 teaspoons of vanilla. I could also try replacing some or all of the cream with a mild tasting banana like Nam Wah.

I love we are making ice cream together today! I decided to just stick with the milk. I am using my basic recipe at the beginning of this post. I bloomed 1 tablespoon of gelatin in 3 tablespoons of water and then, did your suggestion, dissolved it in the microwave for 30 seconds so it was clear. I used 3 cups of milk, vanilla, salt and 1 cup of the whipped honey, which is a little too sweet, and it is having more trouble setting up, because my usual condensed milk is added in cold from keeping it in the fridge and the honey is room temperature. So I added more milk to it and am just gonna keep putting the canister in and out of the freezer and ice cream maker until it sets up. I would go with a quarter cup less honey next time, but the flavor is delicious!

Attachments

• DA4B2380-5CFD-4414-B298-421C90D7B977.jpeg
    DA4B2380-5CFD-4414-B298-421C90D7B977.jpeg
    598.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 6FC0B3BF-339E-4E8D-A0FD-8D6B2F25A5B2.jpeg
    6FC0B3BF-339E-4E8D-A0FD-8D6B2F25A5B2.jpeg
    476.5 KB · Views: 14
  • D8760980-3FA8-4E59-B1CB-15F08339D55C.jpeg
    D8760980-3FA8-4E59-B1CB-15F08339D55C.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Jennifer

@Rinse & rePeat, it's 9:00 in the evening here but first thing in the morning, I'll get started on the ice cream and should hopefully have it all done before you're up so I can compare notes with you. :) I'll keep half the milk in the fridge like you do the condensed milk and start with half a cup of honey and add more if needed. I'm excited! :D

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat, it's 9:00 in the evening here but first thing in the morning, I'll get started on the ice cream and should hopefully have it all done before you're up so I can compare notes with you. :) I'll keep half the milk in the fridge like you do the condensed milk and start with half a cup of honey and add more if needed. I'm excited! :D
I would blend the honey tonight with the milk so it is all cold when you put it in the maker in the morning. Sweet dreams girl 😘

Jennifer

I would blend the honey tonight with the milk so it is all cold when you put it in the maker in the morning. Sweet dreams girl
Good morning, Rinse! I missed your last post before going to bed, but luckily had added the honey to the milk last night so that it would fully incorporate prior to blending. How did your ice cream turn out? I did 4 test batches. The first batch had 1/2 a TBSP of bloomed gelatin dissolved in 1 1/2 cups of whole milk sweetened with 1/4 cup of honey and 1 tsp of vanilla. The second batch had 1 cup of whole milk sweetened with a 1/4 cup of honey, 1/2 a cup of cream and 1 tsp of vanilla. The third batch had 1 cup of whole milk sweetened with a 1/4 cup of honey, 1/2 a cup of cream, 1 egg yolk and 1 tsp of vanilla. The fourth batch had 1 1/2 cups of whole milk, 2 cups of strawberries and 1 tsp of vanilla. The first batch turned out icy with a hint of gelatin flavor. The second batch was much creamier than the first batch and had a pure vanilla flavor. The third batch was not only creamy but had a silkiness to it and again, a pure vanilla flavor. The fourth batch was basically sherbet—creamier than the first batch but still mostly icy. I don’t have an ice cream maker—I made the batches by blending them up in a Vitamix, putting the mixtures in the freezer and stirring them periodically—so I might have had better results with the first batch had I used one.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Good morning, Rinse! I missed your last post before going to bed, but luckily had added the honey to the milk last night so that it would fully incorporate prior to blending. How did your ice cream turn out? I did 4 test batches. The first batch had 1/2 a TBSP of bloomed gelatin dissolved in 1 1/2 cups of whole milk sweetened with 1/4 cup of honey and 1 tsp of vanilla. The second batch had 1 cup of whole milk sweetened with a 1/4 cup of honey, 1/2 a cup of cream and 1 tsp of vanilla. The third batch had 1 cup of whole milk sweetened with a 1/4 cup of honey, 1/2 a cup of cream, 1 egg yolk and 1 tsp of vanilla. The fourth batch had 1 1/2 cups of whole milk, 2 cups of strawberries and 1 tsp of vanilla. The first batch turned out icy with a hint of gelatin flavor. The second batch was much creamier than the first batch and had a pure vanilla flavor. The third batch was not only creamy but had a silkiness to it and again, a pure vanilla flavor. The fourth batch was basically sherbet—creamier than the first batch but still mostly icy. I don’t have an ice cream maker—I made the batches by blending them up in a Vitamix, putting the mixtures in the freezer and stirring them periodically—so I might have had better results with the first batch had I used one.
Good morning Jennifer! Wow you really did an experiment! Your strawberry one sounds really good!

Mine turned out great! I used the one cup of dense white honey, almost 5 cups of whole raw milk, 1 tablespoon gelatin bloomed in 3 tablespoons of water then dissolved in the microwave, vanilla (I just dumped in maybe 2 teaspoons) and a pinch salt. It isn’t as creamy as my condensed milk version, but it isn’t milky either. The 1 tablespoon of gelatin was enough to enable me to scoop it easily straight from the freezer. My condensed milk version I have to let it sit out on the counter, like Haagen Daz, for 15+ minutes before scooping, because it is rock hard. I gonna make a batch with my original recipe, at the beginning of this thread, and add the 1 tablespoon of gelatin bloomed in the 3 tablespoons of water next time. With 5 cups of milk there is no gelatin flavor whatsoever. I love this honey ice cream though!

Attachments

• FECEC169-D1C9-470D-BCDD-6EA62EEBD6BD.jpeg
    FECEC169-D1C9-470D-BCDD-6EA62EEBD6BD.jpeg
    320.7 KB · Views: 13

Jennifer

Good morning Jennifer! Wow you really did an experiment! Your strawberry one sounds really good!

Mine turned out great! I used the one cup of dense white honey, almost 5 cups of whole raw milk, 1 tablespoon gelatin bloomed in 3 tablespoons of water then dissolved in the microwave, vanilla (I just dumped in maybe 2 teaspoons) and a pinch salt. It isn’t as creamy as my condensed milk version, but it isn’t milky either. The 1 tablespoon of gelatin was enough to enable me to scoop it easily straight from the freezer. My condensed milk version I have to let it sit out on the counter, like Haagen Daz, for 15+ minutes before scooping, because it is rock hard. I gonna make a batch with my original recipe, at the beginning of this thread, and add the 1 tablespoon of gelatin bloomed in the 3 tablespoons of water next time. With 5 cups of milk there is no gelatin flavor whatsoever. I love this honey ice cream though!

The flavor of the strawberry batch was good but due to the seeds, it wasn't smooth. I made another batch at noon using wild blueberries instead and holy moly was the flavor outstanding but again, it wasn't smooth so I'm going to try it next with a frozen banana and some wild blueberry juice.

Your ice cream looks so good! Given the amount of milk to gelatin you used, it makes sense why you don't taste the gelatin, but I'm not sure why my batch turned out so hard when it has a higher ratio of gelatin to milk than your batch. All I can think is the ice cream maker helps or maybe the extra honey? I'll try it again using your exact recipe. Given how good your ice cream turned out without the condensed milk, I can just imagine how good it will be with it.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The flavor of the strawberry batch was good but due to the seeds, it wasn't smooth. I made another batch at noon using wild blueberries instead and holy moly was the flavor outstanding but again, it wasn't smooth so I'm going to try it next with a frozen banana and some wild blueberry juice.

Your ice cream looks so good! Given the amount of milk to gelatin you used, it makes sense why you don't taste the gelatin, but I'm not sure why my batch turned out so hard when it has a higher ratio of gelatin to milk than your batch. All I can think is the ice cream maker helps or maybe the extra honey? I'll try it again using your exact recipe. Given how good your ice cream turned out without the condensed milk, I can just imagine how good it will be with it.
Today after hearing about your strawberry ice cream I made a milk float out of my honey ice cream. I mashed defrosted strawberries with sugar, then poured a small glass of raw whole milk in a glass, put scoops of the honey vanilla ice cream in it and topped it with the zest of one orange and a couple of big spoonfuls of the sweet crushed strawberry mixture and hand mixed it into a milk shake, and it was so good!

To your point about your ice cream not being so scoopable straight out of the freezer, I whip my concoction in the Bullet blender about 4 rounds to really whip air into it.

your I mashed

Jennifer

Today after hearing about your strawberry ice cream I made a milk float out of my honey ice cream. I mashed defrosted strawberries with sugar, then poured a small glass of raw whole milk in a glass, put scoops of the honey vanilla ice cream in it and topped it with the zest of one orange and a couple of big spoonfuls of the sweet crushed strawberry mixture and hand mixed it into a milk shake, and it was so good!

To your point about your ice cream not being so scoopable straight out of the freezer, I whip my concoction in the Bullet blender about 4 rounds to really whip air into it.

your I mashed
Yum! If you like blueberries, I think you'd really enjoy the blueberries and cream combo. I ran out of Wendell Estate honey so I had to use one with heavy floral notes and I think the ice cream would be even better with the neutral flavor of WE or even acacia.

I blended up the ice cream mixtures in the Vitamix prior to putting them in the freezer but the next batch I make, I'll be sure to whip it up longer. Thank you for the suggestion. :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yum! If you like blueberries, I think you'd really enjoy the blueberries and cream combo. I ran out of Wendell Estate honey so I had to use one with heavy floral notes and I think the ice cream would be even better with the neutral flavor of WE or even acacia.

I blended up the ice cream mixtures in the Vitamix prior to putting them in the freezer but the next batch I make, I'll be sure to whip it up longer. Thank you for the suggestion. :)
The blueberries have been getting this summer are so sweet! I have been obsessed with them on my ice cream along with the zest of one orange. I think I will give your blended blueberry ice cream flavor a try next! Add the zest of an orange to your vanilla, it is so wow!

Attachments

• 99E68E9D-D4B1-45BF-AF36-30052F9B8338.jpeg
    99E68E9D-D4B1-45BF-AF36-30052F9B8338.jpeg
    549.4 KB · Views: 10

Jennifer

The blueberries have been getting this summer are so sweet! I have been obsessed with them on my ice cream along with the zest of one orange. I think I will give your blended blueberry ice cream flavor a try next! Add the zest of an orange to your vanilla, it is so wow!
Ooh...orange zest sounds like a delicious addition. I have course sugar crystals so I may try making orange flavored sugar with the orange zest. I think it would look pretty sprinkled on the ice cream.

I’ve been meaning to ask you, have you made your milk ice cubes with gelatin before? I’ve only ever made them with milk, cream, egg yolks and honey, which is good but I can’t always get extra raw cream to make them. I have a really good ice cream recipe, but the base alone takes 30 minutes to make so I’m trying to come up with a recipe that can be made and ready to eat in 5 minutes or less using just a blender, and the milk ice cubes work perfectly for this.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ooh...orange zest sounds like a delicious addition. I have course sugar crystals so I may try making orange flavored sugar with the orange zest. I think it would look pretty sprinkled on the ice cream.

I’ve been meaning to ask you, have you made your milk ice cubes with gelatin before? I’ve only ever made them with milk, cream, egg yolks and honey, which is good but I can’t always get extra raw cream to make them. I have a really good ice cream recipe, but the base alone takes 30 minutes to make so I’m trying to come up with a recipe that can be made and ready to eat in 5 minutes or less using just a blender, and the milk ice cubes work perfectly for this.
No. I only just freeze milk. When I make ice cream, from start to finish, it in a bowl in 30 minutes. I have been making homemade ice cream since I was a teenager, and always made the custard with yolks version until this past couple of years. If I had to make that custard first I wouldn’t be making ice cream twice a week, it is just too much trouble for me.

Jennifer

No. I only just freeze milk. When I make ice cream, from start to finish, it in a bowl in 30 minutes. I have been making homemade ice cream since I was a teenager, and always made the custard with yolks version until this past couple of years. If I had to make that custard first I wouldn’t be making ice cream twice a week, it is just too much trouble for me.
Gotcha. The recipe I have is a custard version, as well. With the amount of ice cream I'm consuming these days, I'd have to make it multiple times a week so between that and all the cooking and baking from scratch that I already do, I'm trying to simplify things.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Gotcha. The recipe I have is a custard version, as well. With the amount of ice cream I'm consuming these days, I'd have to make it multiple times a week so between that and all the cooking and baking from scratch that I already do, I'm trying to simplify things.
I hear ya, cause I feel the same way. I would rather fry up a couple of eggs and have a bowl of my simple made ice cream with it. I cannot do complicated cooking like I did years ago, because i don’t want to wash so many dishes anymore and I have so many other things to divide my time with.

Jennifer

I hear ya, cause I feel the same way. I would rather fry up a couple of eggs and have a bowl of my simple made ice cream with it. I cannot do complicated cooking like I did years ago, because i don’t want to wash so many dishes anymore and I have so many other things to divide my time with.
I completely agree. I’m over complicated recipes and all the clean-up. There really is beauty in simplicity and like you, I’d rather have a simple meal of eggs and dairy. There’s just something so satisfying about a cheesy omelette and ice cream, and bonus is how good a meal like that has me feeling.

S.Holmes

"Blood sugar also seems to be low in migraine, so that some people find that eating a large amount of ice cream can interrupt the symptoms. This observation might be what we need to understand the role of sleep in health. We all know how hard it is to sleep when we are hungry (low blood sugar), and how sleepy we sometimes get after a big meal. Low sugar levels in the blood can literally starve some cells into malfunctioning.” – Dr Ray Peat

When i first started applying myself to Ray Peat's science, almost 5 years ago, I did not feel comfortable with the idea of all the sugar. I added it in my coffee and had a little more jelly, but that was about it. I never really like sugary things, even as a kid, so I wasn't anxious to make it a staple in my diet.

As the first year went by, reading more I started to get more comfortable trying more sugar by adding more fruit. My big other big sugar splurge at this point was making macadamia nut butter and pairing it with seedless raspberry jelly. I made sure to take a batch with me on vacation for a quick energy and healthy snacking. Sometimes, when vacationing at our timeshare, we would go to the ice cream case after a dinner out, and i would buy a pint of my favorite Haagen Daz "Vanilla Swiss Almond", but this particular time all they had in the ice cream case was many cartons of Haagen Daz coffee flavor. "What a stupid flavor", I said out loud, and bought it anyway so I could properly balance all the protein ibhad eaten at dinner. That night I almost ate the whole pint! I couldn't believe how good this ice cream was tasting AND making feel. I was even happier than my normal happy, and surprised how good I slept that night too! Strangely, the next morning my stomach was so flat! My "Vanilla Swiss Almond" flavor never made me look, or feel, like that. I was hooked on that coffee flavor after that, and convinced that Ray Peat's coffee and sugar science is a big key, that did eventually open the door to my good health!

As time went on, I got too confident. I starting having my beloved Haagen Daz coffee ice cream for breakfast, or after breakfast, and often as a middle of the day "pick me up". Before I knew it I had muffin top coming out of the top of my pants! I was baffled because Ray Peat said ice cream is an almost perfect food, and it made my stomach flatter on vacation? Five "Peaty" years later I get it now! Starches and fat make you fat, and there is a lot of fat in that little serving of Haagen Daz Coffee ice cream, and I was having it on top of normal eating!

I have since given up that magical coffee ice cream, just because I realized as clean as it is compared to EVERY other ice cream on the market, I can do better. So I started making it homemade, by cooking the grass fed milk and cream and pastured eggs, but the process was time consuming AND was still just as fattening. I tried to figure out ways to skip those yolks and cream and somehow just make myself a frozen milk, but I knew it would freeze up hard, like an ice cube. I needed something thick like yolks to give my new yolk free ice cream a scoop-ability. I tried gelatin powder, honeycomb, lemon curd and sweetened condensed milk and they all turned out well, but the sweetened condensed milk was the logical winner for taste and nutrition.

Let's compare Haagen Daaz Vanilla ice cream to mine:

2/3 cup Haagen Daz has:
fat 23 grams
protein 5 grams
Calcium 10%

2/3 cup of MINE:
fat 11 grams
protein 11 grams
35% calcium

We SO love my ice cream version, not just because it is much lower in fat and higher in nutrition, but because it doesn't feel regretful afterwards from being so rich. Though your ice cream maker may vary, I have one with a pre-frozen bucket, and because there is no cream in my recipe, after churning my ice cream for 25 minutes I have to put it back in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes more, then give it one last minute crank. I don't know if it is because my ice cream maker has been used 100+ times, but I am sure getting it frozen will be different with different machines. Feel free to sub out a cup of milk and add in a cup of cream if you want a richer taste. I like to use half Benoit or Alexandre milk because their cream content is higher at 11 grams and 14 grams of fat compared to my raw whole milk which is 8 grams of fat. For the other half I use the raw whole milk for better digestibility. I keep several cans of sweetened condensed milk in the fridge at all times so everything is very cold going into the ice cream maker. It will not freeze up well if you don't keep everything cold. So here is how I do it.

Mix, in a Bullet blender 3 cups of whole milk with 1 can of CHILLED organic sweetened condensed milk, a couple of teaspoons of vanilla extract and a pinch of Maldon flaked salt. Let it go through a couple of cycles, blending for about a full minute, then pour into the ice cream maker and let it churn till it is thick and scoopable! That is it!

You can make lots of variations on this recipe. Adding the zest of a couple of oranges before blending gives it a very orange vanilla flavor. Subbing a cup of milk for a cup of blended fresh strawberries or Greek yogurt are our other favorites. Other times I throw in some lecithin free Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips. Just leaving it vanilla leaves even more fun ways to use this ice cream. Attached are photos of some of my creations!
OMG! Is it still scoopable after a couple of days in the freezer?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
OMG! Is it still scoopable after a couple of days in the freezer?
With the added gelatin YES!!

I just use a tablespoon of gelatin, bloomed in three tablespoons of water and heat it until it is clear, let it cool completely and add it to the other ice cream mixture before blending it well for a couple of minutes. You can’t taste it at all. Otherwise my basic recipe is like Haagen Daz, having to leave it out on the counter for 10 minutes. It has the exact consistency of Haagen Daz too, whereas the gelatin gives the ice cream a more fluffy texture.

Last edited:

S.Holmes

With the added gelatin YES!!

I just use a tablespoon of gelatin, bloomed in three tablespoons of water and heat it until it is clear, let it cool completely and add it to the other ice cream mixture before blending it well for a couple of minutes. You can’t taste it at all. Otherwise my basic recipe is like Haagen Daz, having to leave it out on the counter for 10 minutes. It has the exact consistency of Haagen Daz too, whereas the gelatin gives the ice cream a more fluffy texture.
Thank you! I do love Haagen Daz!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals