Ray Peat Ice Cream Recipe

4peatssake

jag2594 said:
Charlie said:
"I blend an egg (warmed to 40 degrees C) with a cup of sugar (also warmed) and a cup of coconut oil until it's smoothly emulsified, and maybe half a cup of powdered milk for extra texture, then add milk to fill the blender (total volume a little over a liter), with strong coffee or orange juice for flavor, or other fruit or vanilla, etc. The high oil content, and powdered milk, make it freeze without crystallizing, so the ice cream machine isn't necessary."
--Ray Peat

How do you warm the blended egg and sugar ? on a pan ?
You can put the sugar in a cup inside a pan of water to warm it up.
Here are directions for bringing eggs up to room temperature. You can bring them up to room temp and then run them under hot water. But be careful they don't start to cook.

How to bring eggs to room temperature

mimi

OMG. This recipes rocks! And I don't even really like ice cream (well, usually I don't). ;)
Ray should write a cookbook, hehe.
I made a vanilla version with a hint of hazelnut aroma. Good stuff.

TomBarnett

Hi guys I just joined the forum and this is one of my favourite topics.

I think I have the easiest and tastiest icecream recipe ever which I make every day and eat a whole bowl before bed.

1 tub of cream (organic)

1 cup of sugar (I use organic raw sugar)

Then to flavour I either juice two oranges or my favourite is lemon lime and bitters which is the juice of 2 lemons and two limes, about ten drops of lime essence and a good dash of Angostura bitters. Naturally all the fruit and things are organic.

I don't even use a mixer I just put it all in a bowl and whisk with a fork for 30 seconds, it doesn't crystallise and takes about 4 hours to freeze into ice cream.

Also good is (not together, just individually) kiwi fruit, mango, passionfruit, vanilla powder, cacao, and other tropical fruits all go really well.

Dutchie

TomBarnett said:
Hi guys I just joined the forum and this is one of my favourite topics.

I think I have the easiest and tastiest icecream recipe ever which I make every day and eat a whole bowl before bed.

1 tub of cream (organic)

1 cup of sugar (I use organic raw sugar)

Then to flavour I either juice two oranges or my favourite is lemon lime and bitters which is the juice of 2 lemons and two limes, about ten drops of lime essence and a good dash of Angostura bitters. Naturally all the fruit and things are organic.

I don't even use a mixer I just put it all in a bowl and whisk with a fork for 30 seconds, it doesn't crystallise and takes about 4 hours to freeze into ice cream.

Also good is (not together, just individually) kiwi fruit, mango, passionfruit, vanilla powder, cacao, and other tropical fruits all go really well.

Sounds good,but it's basically highfat&high sugar no/little protein.....I think that's a recipe for fatgain.

Stilgar

Peat's recipe can definitely take more skimmed milk powder. I reduce the milk slightly, add cocoa and more like a cup of skimmed milk powder. Extra protein and calcium. Also I add salt.
SO good. It has an incredible flavour. But it can melt quite quickly once out of the freezer! Gotta eat it quick!

Jenn

Charlie said:
"I blend an egg (warmed to 40 degrees C) with a cup of sugar (also warmed) and a cup of coconut oil until it's smoothly emulsified, and maybe half a cup of powdered milk for extra texture, then add milk to fill the blender (total volume a little over a liter), with strong coffee or orange juice for flavor, or other fruit or vanilla, etc. The high oil content, and powdered milk, make it freeze without crystallizing, so the ice cream machine isn't necessary."
--Ray Peat

I've got this in the freezer now...added some homemade vanilla and some instant coffee...this better be good, I'm jones'n for some ice cream.....

gd81

I tried making this as per the instructions on the first page, but whenever I make it and put it in then freezer to freeze, the powdered milk seperates from the rest of the mixture and I get a contained that is half ice cream and half frozen milk :x

I've tried adding another egg and that didn't help. I also tried disolving the powdered milk into the fresh liquid milk before adding it to the coconut oil/sugar/egg emulsion but that didn't help either.

Can anybody who makes Ray's ice cream please help me out with where I might be going wrong?

mt_dreams

gd81 said:
Can anybody who makes Ray's ice cream please help me out with where I might be going wrong?

I guess I'm lucky as I have never had this problem. A couple options I would try would be to either try warming the powder over the stove with the coconut oil (when adding cocoa, I usually do the same). An even easier option would be to warm the milk over the stove, and emulsify the powder into the liquid. With both you would need to let the liquid cool down before adding the egg or it will cook the egg which would not be desired. If you own a food processor, you can always try mixing with a bit of room temp milk. Last resort can be modifying the recipe to include more powder, and less liquid. I double boil a decent amount of milk, so when making ice cream, instead of milk & milk powder, I just add condensed milk from my jar in the fridge.

G

gummybear

Even I, a complete retard in the kitchen can make peat's ice cream. Every time great result. I like to go wild sometimes and put some chocolate chunks in layers with my chocolate ice cream or some sliced fruit in my vanilla ice cream. Oh yeah.

gd81

mt_dreams said:
gd81 said:

I guess I'm lucky as I have never had this problem. A couple options I would try would be to either try warming the powder over the stove with the coconut oil (when adding cocoa, I usually do the same). An even easier option would be to warm the milk over the stove, and emulsify the powder into the liquid. With both you would need to let the liquid cool down before adding the egg or it will cook the egg which would not be desired. If you own a food processor, you can always try mixing with a bit of room temp milk. Last resort can be modifying the recipe to include more powder, and less liquid. I double boil a decent amount of milk, so when making ice cream, instead of milk & milk powder, I just add condensed milk from my jar in the fridge.

can I ask you the exact process you use?

cheers

gd81

gummybear said:
Even I, a complete retard in the kitchen can make peat's ice cream. Every time great result. I like to go wild sometimes and put some chocolate chunks in layers with my chocolate ice cream or some sliced fruit in my vanilla ice cream. Oh yeah.

what is the process you use gummybear?

Green

Has anyone used orange juice to flavor? How much?

Also, is there any reason that amount of coconut oil can be problematic? 1 whole cup :eek:
O.k. to have a batch in one day/ night?

Newbophyte

gummybear said:

I don't consider myself a retard in the kitchen and I've not gotten the texture I wanted from this recipe. Maybe it's because I didn't add the powdered milk, but the thing is, well, almost chalky. I tried emulsifying by sticking the whole shebang into a blender before freezing because that worked well for me before just as a pseudo-eggnog, but it didn't freeze properly and has resulted in a dense, rich product that doesn't taste super pleasing off-the-bat. Who knows, maybe with some aeration, powdered milk or gelatin in there it'll be legit.

Birdie

I used to make Ray's ice cream and it came out great. There was a reason for the powdered milk. He said that made it so you didn't need to use ice cream maker, if I remember right. The powdered milk should keep it from freezing into a solid block.

I would also add different flavors. The ones Ray suggested of coffee or oj. Also chocolate. Then Ray said somewhere that to up the protein, you could eat it with cottage cheese. I still have the strained Daisy low fat cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and fruit for dh to add to his HD. It doesn't sound appetizing but... guess it is. Anyway, I feel better about the ice cream when it's balanced with the extra protein. Dh being Ray's age, wanna keep him healthy.

I'm allergic to egg, so I've been finding congruent brands. The best I've found so far is "Jeni's" - awesome taste and quality, and fairly Peatarian. It's about $10-12 a pint, though ;)

G

gummybear

Birdie said:
I used to make Ray's ice cream and it came out great. There was a reason for the powdered milk. He said that made it so you didn't need to use ice cream maker, if I remember right. The powdered milk should keep it from freezing into a solid block.

I would also add different flavors. The ones Ray suggested of coffee or oj. Also chocolate. Then Ray said somewhere that to up the protein, you could eat it with cottage cheese. I still have the strained Daisy low fat cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and fruit for dh to add to his HD. It doesn't sound appetizing but... guess it is. Anyway, I feel better about the ice cream when it's balanced with the extra protein. Dh being Ray's age, wanna keep him healthy.

Thanks for the suggestions im gonna make those.

Attachments

• a52.jpg
    a52.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 932

Peat's_Girl

Jenn said:
CLA is a naturally occurring fat in all dairy products and is technically a trans fatty acid but is anticancer because of its shape. It's a good thing. ;)

Yep!

(I have nothing intelligent to add myself... :D)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals