I Drank Melted Ice Cream And Then I Realized It's Basically: Egg Nog [Recipe]

franko

Storytime

I put ice cream in the fridge and drank it the next day. Tasty & convenient. And then I realized it tastes just like Egg Nog minus the nutmeg. And sure enough, good ice cream like Haagen Daz has the same basic ingredients.

Sidenote: If you want to know how to judge quality ice cream from cheap stuff, let it melt in the fridge and then see how much of the box contents is just trapped air in a frothy mixture. Haagen Daz still has about a half inch worth of frothy stuff that rises to the top of the carton, but cheap stuff is like all froth.

So then I realized instead of buying and melting ice cream I could just make egg nog and it would be much cheaper.

I think it's pretty peaty and makes for a tasty, convenient, calorie-dense holdover for in between meals or before bed.

Egg Nog Recipe

4 large eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup half and half
1 tsp vanilla (optional)

Serving: 4 cups

Instructions: Beat the eggs well. Mix in the sugar. Pour into dairy. Mix.

Nutrition Facts

Here's the nutrition facts according to a custom recipe I created on cronometer.

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 11.29.22 PM.png

Other nice thing about it is that it has a much higher ratio of sugar:fat — more in line with gelato. And you can adjust the ratios to your liking.

Of course, you can switch out half and half for cream to make it richer or decrease the proportion of cream to make it less fatty.

With my next batches of 'Nog I'm going to try chocolate instead of vanilla, and maybe a shot of concentrated coffee.

isnt it better if dont use egg whites? raw whites contain avidin.

Yes, eggnog, custards, etc are made with just the yolks. Raw eggwhite quickly depletes Biotin, a very important B vitamin. Egg whites are usually what people who have egg sensitivities have problems with, not the yolks. Ray recommends eating yolks to whites 2 to 1, and I suspect he just plain prefers yolks (where most of the nutrition is) over whites.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals