We All Scream For No Cream Ice Cream - In Minutes! (with photos)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The ice cream recipe you are using ? Is it the diet shake recipe? Adding fruit?
The recipe is on page one at the beginning of this thread.

Attachments

• 568DF58F-7592-4BD8-989B-030B63D751B3.jpeg
    568DF58F-7592-4BD8-989B-030B63D751B3.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 18

Birdie

I wonder about the ice cream machine. I've been looking at it for years. The latest problem I have is my freezer. It's pretty stuffed already. Reading the comments on amazon, they say that you must put the inner dish in a very cold place and it must be upright/level. I can't figure how to put it in a bottom corner where it's very cold. How does one solve this? Maybe it isn't meant to be..

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I wonder about the ice cream machine. I've been looking at it for years. The latest problem I have is my freezer. It's pretty stuffed already. Reading the comments on amazon, they say that you must put the inner dish in a very cold place and it must be upright/level. I can't figure how to put it in a bottom corner where it's very cold. How does one solve this? Maybe it isn't meant to be..
Noooo you poor thing! My life is so wonderful because of my homemade ice cream, and I don’t even like ice cream. Everyone flicks to my house hoping I will make them ice cream, seriously! I thing you need to get some sort of small stand alone freezer just for ice cream, like one of those neat ones with the glass sliding top so you can peer in and admire it all. :D

Birdie

Noooo you poor thing! My life is so wonderful because of my homemade ice cream, and I don’t even like ice cream. Everyone flicks to my house hoping I will make them ice cream, seriously! I thing you need to get some sort of small stand alone freezer just for ice cream, like one of those neat ones with the glass sliding top so you can peer in and admire it all. :D
I like the way you think!

Philomath

Philomath

"Blood sugar also seems to be low in migraine, so that some people find that eating a large amount of ice cream can interrupt the symptoms. This observation might be what we need to understand the role of sleep in health. We all know how hard it is to sleep when we are hungry (low blood sugar), and how sleepy we sometimes get after a big meal. Low sugar levels in the blood can literally starve some cells into malfunctioning.” – Dr Ray Peat

When i first started applying myself to Ray Peat's science, almost 5 years ago, I did not feel comfortable with the idea of all the sugar. I added it in my coffee and had a little more jelly, but that was about it. I never really like sugary things, even as a kid, so I wasn't anxious to make it a staple in my diet.

As the first year went by, reading more I started to get more comfortable trying more sugar by adding more fruit. My big other big sugar splurge at this point was making macadamia nut butter and pairing it with seedless raspberry jelly. I made sure to take a batch with me on vacation for a quick energy and healthy snacking. Sometimes, when vacationing at our timeshare, we would go to the ice cream case after a dinner out, and i would buy a pint of my favorite Haagen Daz "Vanilla Swiss Almond", but this particular time all they had in the ice cream case was many cartons of Haagen Daz coffee flavor. "What a stupid flavor", I said out loud, and bought it anyway so I could properly balance all the protein ibhad eaten at dinner. That night I almost ate the whole pint! I couldn't believe how good this ice cream was tasting AND making feel. I was even happier than my normal happy, and surprised how good I slept that night too! Strangely, the next morning my stomach was so flat! My "Vanilla Swiss Almond" flavor never made me look, or feel, like that. I was hooked on that coffee flavor after that, and convinced that Ray Peat's coffee and sugar science is a big key, that did eventually open the door to my good health!

As time went on, I got too confident. I starting having my beloved Haagen Daz coffee ice cream for breakfast, or after breakfast, and often as a middle of the day "pick me up". Before I knew it I had muffin top coming out of the top of my pants! I was baffled because Ray Peat said ice cream is an almost perfect food, and it made my stomach flatter on vacation? Five "Peaty" years later I get it now! Starches and fat make you fat, and there is a lot of fat in that little serving of Haagen Daz Coffee ice cream, and I was having it on top of normal eating!

I have since given up that magical coffee ice cream, just because I realized as clean as it is compared to EVERY other ice cream on the market, I can do better. So I started making it homemade, by cooking the grass fed milk and cream and pastured eggs, but the process was time consuming AND was still just as fattening. I tried to figure out ways to skip those yolks and cream and somehow just make myself a frozen milk, but I knew it would freeze up hard, like an ice cube. I needed something thick like yolks to give my new yolk free ice cream a scoop-ability. I tried gelatin powder, honeycomb, lemon curd and sweetened condensed milk and they all turned out well, but the sweetened condensed milk was the logical winner for taste and nutrition.

Let's compare Haagen Daaz Vanilla ice cream to mine:

2/3 cup Haagen Daz has:
fat 23 grams
protein 5 grams
Calcium 10%

2/3 cup of MINE:
fat 11 grams
protein 11 grams
35% calcium

We SO love my ice cream version, not just because it is much lower in fat and higher in nutrition, but because it doesn't feel regretful afterwards from being so rich. Though your ice cream maker may vary, I have one with a pre-frozen bucket, and because there is no cream in my recipe, after churning my ice cream for 25 minutes I have to put it back in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes more, then give it one last minute crank. I don't know if it is because my ice cream maker has been used 100+ times, but I am sure getting it frozen will be different with different machines. Feel free to sub out a cup of milk and add in a cup of cream if you want a richer taste. I like to use half Benoit or Alexandre milk because their cream content is higher at 11 grams and 14 grams of fat compared to my raw whole milk which is 8 grams of fat. For the other half I use the raw whole milk for better digestibility. I keep several cans of sweetened condensed milk in the fridge at all times so everything is very cold going into the ice cream maker. It will not freeze up well if you don't keep everything cold. So here is how I do it.

Mix, in a Bullet blender 3 cups of whole milk with 1 can of CHILLED organic sweetened condensed milk, a couple of teaspoons of vanilla extract and a pinch of Maldon flaked salt. Let it go through a couple of cycles, blending for about a full minute, then pour into the ice cream maker and let it churn till it is thick and scoopable! That is it!

You can make lots of variations on this recipe. Adding the zest of a couple of oranges before blending gives it a very orange vanilla flavor. Subbing a cup of milk for a cup of blended fresh strawberries or Greek yogurt are our other favorites. Other times I throw in some lecithin free Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips. Just leaving it vanilla leaves even more fun ways to use this ice cream. Attached are photos of some of my creations!
I have a new topping combination…. Orange marmalade and chocolate syrup. It’s actually very good

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have a new topping combination…. Orange marmalade and chocolate syrup. It’s actually very good
Oh I can see that being good! I have been putting the zest of three oranges in my batch, so I will add some mini chocolate chips to it for your combo :)

Healthseeker

This is gonna be weird but I always wanted to get that liquid pink amoxicillin syrup the they give to kids the bubble gum kind and put it on ice cream. I think that would be so good

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This is gonna be weird but I always wanted to get that liquid pink amoxicillin syrup the they give to kids the bubble gum kind and put it on ice cream. I think that would be so good
That is too funny! I wonder if you could make your own soaking bubble gum in like… Milk Of Magnesia ?

Ynot

my ice cream machine is a standalone one that cools... so you don't need to take up freezer space other than storing your home made ice cream!

Birdie

my ice cream machine is a standalone one that cools... so you don't need to take up freezer space other than storing your home made ice cream!
That sounds good.

DDRB

"Blood sugar also seems to be low in migraine, so that some people find that eating a large amount of ice cream can interrupt the symptoms. This observation might be what we need to understand the role of sleep in health. We all know how hard it is to sleep when we are hungry (low blood sugar), and how sleepy we sometimes get after a big meal. Low sugar levels in the blood can literally starve some cells into malfunctioning.” – Dr Ray Peat

When i first started applying myself to Ray Peat's science, almost 5 years ago, I did not feel comfortable with the idea of all the sugar. I added it in my coffee and had a little more jelly, but that was about it. I never really like sugary things, even as a kid, so I wasn't anxious to make it a staple in my diet.

As the first year went by, reading more I started to get more comfortable trying more sugar by adding more fruit. My big other big sugar splurge at this point was making macadamia nut butter and pairing it with seedless raspberry jelly. I made sure to take a batch with me on vacation for a quick energy and healthy snacking. Sometimes, when vacationing at our timeshare, we would go to the ice cream case after a dinner out, and i would buy a pint of my favorite Haagen Daz "Vanilla Swiss Almond", but this particular time all they had in the ice cream case was many cartons of Haagen Daz coffee flavor. "What a stupid flavor", I said out loud, and bought it anyway so I could properly balance all the protein ibhad eaten at dinner. That night I almost ate the whole pint! I couldn't believe how good this ice cream was tasting AND making feel. I was even happier than my normal happy, and surprised how good I slept that night too! Strangely, the next morning my stomach was so flat! My "Vanilla Swiss Almond" flavor never made me look, or feel, like that. I was hooked on that coffee flavor after that, and convinced that Ray Peat's coffee and sugar science is a big key, that did eventually open the door to my good health!

As time went on, I got too confident. I starting having my beloved Haagen Daz coffee ice cream for breakfast, or after breakfast, and often as a middle of the day "pick me up". Before I knew it I had muffin top coming out of the top of my pants! I was baffled because Ray Peat said ice cream is an almost perfect food, and it made my stomach flatter on vacation? Five "Peaty" years later I get it now! Starches and fat make you fat, and there is a lot of fat in that little serving of Haagen Daz Coffee ice cream, and I was having it on top of normal eating!

I have since given up that magical coffee ice cream, just because I realized as clean as it is compared to EVERY other ice cream on the market, I can do better. So I started making it homemade, by cooking the grass fed milk and cream and pastured eggs, but the process was time consuming AND was still just as fattening. I tried to figure out ways to skip those yolks and cream and somehow just make myself a frozen milk, but I knew it would freeze up hard, like an ice cube. I needed something thick like yolks to give my new yolk free ice cream a scoop-ability. I tried gelatin powder, honeycomb, lemon curd and sweetened condensed milk and they all turned out well, but the sweetened condensed milk was the logical winner for taste and nutrition.

Let's compare Haagen Daaz Vanilla ice cream to mine:

2/3 cup Haagen Daz has:
fat 23 grams
protein 5 grams
Calcium 10%

2/3 cup of MINE:
fat 11 grams
protein 11 grams
35% calcium

We SO love my ice cream version, not just because it is much lower in fat and higher in nutrition, but because it doesn't feel regretful afterwards from being so rich. Though your ice cream maker may vary, I have one with a pre-frozen bucket, and because there is no cream in my recipe, after churning my ice cream for 25 minutes I have to put it back in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes more, then give it one last minute crank. I don't know if it is because my ice cream maker has been used 100+ times, but I am sure getting it frozen will be different with different machines. Feel free to sub out a cup of milk and add in a cup of cream if you want a richer taste. I like to use half Benoit or Alexandre milk because their cream content is higher at 11 grams and 14 grams of fat compared to my raw whole milk which is 8 grams of fat. For the other half I use the raw whole milk for better digestibility. I keep several cans of sweetened condensed milk in the fridge at all times so everything is very cold going into the ice cream maker. It will not freeze up well if you don't keep everything cold. So here is how I do it.

Mix, in a Bullet blender 3 cups of whole milk with 1 can of CHILLED organic sweetened condensed milk, a couple of teaspoons of vanilla extract and a pinch of Maldon flaked salt. Let it go through a couple of cycles, blending for about a full minute, then pour into the ice cream maker and let it churn till it is thick and scoopable! That is it!

You can make lots of variations on this recipe. Adding the zest of a couple of oranges before blending gives it a very orange vanilla flavor. Subbing a cup of milk for a cup of blended fresh strawberries or Greek yogurt are our other favorites. Other times I throw in some lecithin free Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips. Just leaving it vanilla leaves even more fun ways to use this ice cream. Attached are photos of some of my creations!
I gained 10 pounds just looking at the pictures :help

Jennifer

UPDATE:

I also switched out a lot of my white sugar for honey and fresh fruit juice (minus the fiber). Here is an updated pic from today.

I didn’t want to get off-topic in your Lose Fat Not Pounds thread so I hope you don't mind me quoting you here but may I ask, have you ever made ice cream with honey as the sole sweetener and if so, did it turn out well? I've only ever used it in combination with sugar so I'm unsure of its effect on ice crystals? I came down with a bad cold a couple of weeks ago and now I no longer react to honey (YAY!) so I want to make sure that sweetening entirely with it works, before I go wasting precious raw milk and honey. lol

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I didn’t want to get off-topic in your Lose Fat Not Pounds thread so I hope you don't mind me quoting you here but may I ask, have you ever made ice cream with honey as the sole sweetener and if so, did it turn out well? I've only ever used it in combination with sugar so I'm unsure of its effect on ice crystals? I came down with a bad cold a couple of weeks ago and now I no longer react to honey (YAY!) so I want to make sure that sweetening entirely with it works, before I go wasting precious raw milk and honey. lol
I have not tried it, but I can see that white whipped Wendell Estate honey working well , replacing the condensed milk. Maybe a little swap out if whole milk for cream might be a good idea too. I have like 8 new giant jars of honey, so I can try it this weekend? I am overdo for making ice cream. I have used “bloomed” gelatin before and it really made the ice cream easier to scoop, I may add that instead of the cream for texture, since I don’t have any cream right now.

Jennifer

@Rinse & rePeat, thank you for the suggestions. That’s such a smart idea to use gelatin. I imagine it mimics the gums used in commercial ice creams. Does it need to be heated once it’s added to the milk or can it be bloomed with some water and melted in the microwave first, then added to, and dissolved in, room temp milk? I’m trying to keep the milk raw if possible.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals