Vitamin D hypersensitivity

I guess I will toss it! Good to know!
I don’t think that means it will necessarily cause that effect in you. As you can see on the thread everyone has wildly different experiences both positive and negative and it’s obvious so many other factors come into play like vitamin A, K and calcium.

I don’t think that means it will necessarily cause that effect in you. As you can see on the thread everyone has wildly different experiences both positive and negative and it’s obvious so many other factors come into play like vitamin A, K and calcium.

My health is great so no sense taking a chance. I just thought maybe it could be good for winter.

Tzheng2012

why not get vitamin D from the sun? or a good UVB lamp (cost about $400).

apparently supplemental vitamin D isnt very effective and even if it raises blood levels its not the same as getting it from the sun. mercola has a new podcast out talking about this

boris

Sounds like you have a dirty supplement (I see now you made it work, but I think they cause the mysterious vitamin D problems for some people). I got an odd anxiety, autistic behaviour (avoiding eye contact), and acne breakouts after orally taking a "vegan" vitamin D supplement made from lichen. I think I had restless sleep that night too, but don't remember, it usually happens when I have a bad reaction to foods or supplements. I have no problems with my lanolin based vitamin D.

Last edited:
L

LauriePartridge

I think is has to do with excited hypothalamus activity in the brain, actually scientist are not clear how vitamin D is involved in the regulation of sleep-wake cycle and are still looking at the mechanism. I think estrogen can have big influence exciting the brain while thyroid function is low . Seems to me that additional vitamin D is also overexciting the brain as it also regulates synthesis of brain serotonin. Things that work via GABA to calm serotonin signaling could help.
That makes sense!

L

LauriePartridge

For anyone interested, I have managed to rectify this issue through eating Gouda and Edam (for k2) while taking D3. So happy that I have managed to make this work. For me it seemed that the tiniest doses was having an affect on my calcium. I can’t tolerate K2 supplements either, they give me palpitations and anxiety which is quite common.
Good to know!

P

Peatness

I had a very weird experience with vitamin D. I was using only 10,000 IU/ day topically (so 20% absorption) of Now brands D3 in olive oil. Initially, I felt amazing - improved digestion/transit time, mental clarity, enhanced mood and sleep. Then all of the sudden things came crashing down- insomnia, dizziness, nausea, hair loss and hypothyroid symptoms. The weirdest symptom was my sense of smell became disrupted for over a week and I had phantom smells of smoke (smelling it when it wasn’t there)... I was taking a small dose of eggshell alongside it and vitamin A. I don’t know if maybe I overdid it and can’t seem to make sense of it but it has sure made me not want to try it again...
Vitamin D increases the requirement for magnesium. Magnesium is also required to utilize calcium. Adequate B vitamin status can also influence how one handles vitamin D. Zinc also plays a role. I posted an article on the forum by stephanie seneff on sunlight, vitamin D and sulphate. Apparently sulphate is required when supplementing vitamin D. She does suggest sunlight rather than supplemental D but this is not possible for most people.

Last edited by a moderator:

iso1

I had a very weird experience with vitamin D. I was using only 10,000 IU/ day topically (so 20% absorption) of Now brands D3 in olive oil. Initially, I felt amazing - improved digestion/transit time, mental clarity, enhanced mood and sleep. Then all of the sudden things came crashing down- insomnia, dizziness, nausea, hair loss and hypothyroid symptoms. The weirdest symptom was my sense of smell became disrupted for over a week and I had phantom smells of smoke (smelling it when it wasn’t there)... I was taking a small dose of eggshell alongside it and vitamin A. I don’t know if maybe I overdid it and can’t seem to make sense of it but it has sure made me not want to try it again...
Interesting, because i am having phantom smell of smoke as well from vitamin D, and sometimes from other supplements too.

BearWithMe

After you stopped supplementing vitamin D, how long did it take for these symptoms to completely resolve, to get back to normal?

iso1

Why is everybody ignoring active vitamin D (1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D) blood test, which would be ideal indicator , rather than inactive vit D which is commonly tested and can be inaccurate. I will get my active vit D results soon and will compare it with inactive form results.

P

Peatness

Why is everybody ignoring active vitamin D (1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D) blood test, which would be ideal indicator , rather than inactive vit D which is commonly tested and can be inaccurate. I will get my active vit D results soon and will compare it with inactive form results.
Good point. I’m going to test this next time I do a vit D test. I’ve been over zealous with supplementing D

Gustav3Y

Good point. I’m going to test this next time I do a vit D test. I’ve been over zealous with supplementing D

Ray Peat told me 25-Hydroxy is the one that matters.
Also 1,25 is generally more expensive of the two.

lampofred

Peat says "inactive" vitamin D (25-dihydroxy) is the important one to measure and not the "active" one (1,25 dihydroxy). He says the "active" one should be low and that it is stress which causes the inactive form to convert into the active form.

lampofred

The brand of vitamin d might also make a difference. Natural vs synthetic vitamin D might have different effects on. the body.

iso1

Ray Peat told me 25-Hydroxy is the one that matters.
Also 1,25 is generally more expensive of the two.
I would really like to hear explanation why, because i received my (1.25-OH) results today, which is in the middle range, whilst at the same time i am severely depleted of 25-OH . Maybe 25OH really is irrelevant if its hardly carry any function before it's being converted to active form ? can somebody explain me ?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals