Vitamin A

OP
F

fatmaaaa16

Have you tried Lithium ? Curious whether it helps with impulsivity.
I have not but I might. It seems good for ADHD too, but I’m afraid as it doesn’t “feel” as safe to me as something like glycine or b vitamins (aside for B9/B12)….

I am having some weird derealization which always happens randomly to me and in an extreme way. I think it may be too much glycine ?

I’m afraid maybe lithium will help impulses but cause derealization.

Jonk

Hi All,

I am experiencing slight pain in my upper right abdomen - guessing it’s liver related every time without fail of taking Vitamin A retinol palmitate. I do have osteoporosis (I’m 23… long story but eating disorder and amenorrhea caused this) is that related??

I have tried 1000 IU, 3000, and 8000 and it all causes the pain. The lower the dose the less pain. TUDCA reduces the pain to a mere sensation but u still find this odd. I have very bad eyesight and dandruff and can’t help but feel that I must be deficient in vitamin A, but how do I take it when it causes such a side effect ?

I take 5000-10,000 IU D3 and 15 mg K2 MK-4 daily also, so I don’t believe this issue is caused by depletion of Vitamin D3 or K2.

I take lots of vitamins supplements and minerals and quite literally, not a single one has caused this reaction. It’s a bit scary to feel something in your liver, so I would love to understand the mechanism behind why this might be happening.

Of course until then I will remove Vitamin A and take beef liver capsules for A temporarily (not sure how effective it’s gonna be however especially for dandruff).

Thanks !

I would be careful about ingesting things like titanium dioxide and silicon dioxide and other additives. I think there are plenty of studies linked on the forum about potential implications of these. I'm not very knowledgeble on the subject but obviously gut health is closely related to liver health. I read somewhere on the forum that alcohols bad effect on the liver is mainly the increased permeability of the intestines it creates and following endotoxin load on the liver. I am myself in the middle of healing my intestines by different strategies, amongst them a no starch diet, and it has a huge impact on the mental and emotional state. I feel like even the coaresness of different foods can have affect you if your intestine is inflamed or extra sensitive. Not meaning to overextend beyond my knowledge but I relate to some of the things you describe, so take it for what it is.

OP
F

fatmaaaa16

I would be careful about ingesting things like titanium dioxide and silicon dioxide and other additives. I think there are plenty of studies linked on the forum about potential implications of these. I'm not very knowledgeble on the subject but obviously gut health is closely related to liver health. I read somewhere on the forum that alcohols bad effect on the liver is mainly the increased permeability of the intestines it creates and following endotoxin load on the liver. I am myself in the middle of healing my intestines by different strategies, amongst them a no starch diet, and it has a huge impact on the mental and emotional state. I feel like even the coaresness of different foods can have affect you if your intestine is inflamed or extra sensitive. Not meaning to overextend beyond my knowledge but I relate to some of the things you describe, so take it for what it is.
I believe you’re right. I do notice my stomach feels “stabbed” as if there’s some shards In it when I take a larger dose of the supplements and I think it may be the fillers. I compensate by having large amounts of filler free glycine but of course best to remove the offender first.

I have noticed I may feel better on restricted diets (no starch; mostly fruit) but the restriction itself causes me some serious mental feelings of deprivation.

That’s very interesting. I’m worried for my liver to be honest. I really have to figure something out with these fillers as some products / supplements I’m using just have NO alternative and they do in fact have fillers and binders and all that!!! How about reversing the permeability ? Any other ideas than glycine ? Thanks

aliml

I am experiencing slight pain in my upper right abdomen - guessing it’s liver related every time without fail of taking Vitamin A retinol palmitate.
Pain may be from the gallbladder. Palmitate is a long-chain fatty acid and stimulates the gallbladder. Retinol acetate may be a better choice because acetate is a short-chain fatty acid that is easier to digest.

Jonk

I believe you’re right. I do notice my stomach feels “stabbed” as if there’s some shards In it when I take a larger dose of the supplements and I think it may be the fillers. I compensate by having large amounts of filler free glycine but of course best to remove the offender first.

I have noticed I may feel better on restricted diets (no starch; mostly fruit) but the restriction itself causes me some serious mental feelings of deprivation.

That’s very interesting. I’m worried for my liver to be honest. I really have to figure something out with these fillers as some products / supplements I’m using just have NO alternative and they do in fact have fillers and binders and all that!!! How about reversing the permeability ? Any other ideas than glycine ? Thanks
Firstly, I'm not a health professional and if your worried I would see a doctor and at least have some standard liver and inflammation blood tests. I did myself recently and it relieved some fears I had.

I haven't sorted out my own intestines yet so hard for me to give advice. No starch seems to lessen inflammation and Ray Peat even says starch should be zero if you have a very sensitive intestine. For me it's also tricky because starch like potatoes has been a large part of how I see food. To keep up the calories I drink whole milk and orange juice. I've read others here on the forum which have been helped by increasing saturated fat a lot at least initially when cutting starch.

The only other thing I can thing of right now is vitamin c. Not sure if it's actually the vitamin c or the fact it's an acid and maybe helps with stomach acid or something. Although there is some research it can block some effects from endotoxin. Probably the most directly felt potent supplement for me, but at very high doses (2 grams at a time - up to 10 grams total per day). The relationship between vitamin C status, the gut-liver axis, and metabolic syndrome

OP
F

fatmaaaa16

Pain may be from the gallbladder. Palmitate is a long-chain fatty acid and stimulates the gallbladder. Retinol acetate may be a better choice because acetate is a short-chain fatty acid that is easier to digest.
I wanted to take acetate actually as it is more bio available however I had palmitate on hand and thought might as well try it first. The gall bladder / liver pain I experienced from palmitate made me assume that acetate would only cause MORE pain. Now of course I’m not sure as I didn’t attempt it, it’s very odd as I’ve taken a HUGE amount of supplements in my life, and NOTHING has caused as severe and direct a pain as the mere 8000 IU capsule of vitamin A palmitate I took. It really is very odd as I always thoughts my life long bad vision; dandruff we’re a DEFICIENCY in vitamin A; but now I’m coming across the idea that this actually points to toxicity ,…. I’m definitely very confused now

OP
F

fatmaaaa16

Firstly, I'm not a health professional and if your worried I would see a doctor and at least have some standard liver and inflammation blood tests. I did myself recently and it relieved some fears I had.

I haven't sorted out my own intestines yet so hard for me to give advice. No starch seems to lessen inflammation and Ray Peat even says starch should be zero if you have a very sensitive intestine. For me it's also tricky because starch like potatoes has been a large part of how I see food. To keep up the calories I drink whole milk and orange juice. I've read others here on the forum which have been helped by increasing saturated fat a lot at least initially when cutting starch.

The only other thing I can thing of right now is vitamin c. Not sure if it's actually the vitamin c or the fact it's an acid and maybe helps with stomach acid or something. Although there is some research it can block some effects from endotoxin. Probably the most directly felt potent supplement for me, but at very high doses (2 grams at a time - up to 10 grams total per day). The relationship between vitamin C status, the gut-liver axis, and metabolic syndrome
Vitamin C is amazing for me too. I have extremely high histamine and constant allergies, taking 1g a day w my daily supplements really “wakes me up” and gives me a refreshed clear feeling and absolutely reduces my allergies. Kind of feels like it also slightly “decongests” me a bit which is nice as I always have a runny nose and phlegm.

I did actually do some liver and liver enzyme tests and they were extremely elevated around a year ago however I the most recent 2 tests I did showed everything back to normal. I don’t have intestine or digestive issues anymore since I started seeing a Chinese medicine herbalist, he’s also helped w ADHD a bit (not too much tho ….). The herbs he gives me are mainly tangerine and orange peel extracts of some kind; and some Chinese mushrooms also… he said since my digestive issues are a bit more serious (I had severe bulimia as a teen so f*cked my digestion real bad) I apparently should take these herbs for Up to 7 years … who knows .

DeadCatBounce

then why does liver make my skin look so good in the following days
Exactly the same experience with me and my SO for years. Eat liver once or twice in a row (big amount around 300-400grams each meal per person) and skin looks great, the whole looks changes for the better. More energy, better mood etc etc. Magic food for many people.

Something does not add up here. At all.

The big Vit A thread is funny - people stopping milk, liver and eggs and moving to beans ... :confused2

Last edited:

youngsinatra

then why does liver make my skin look so good in the following days
Because ruminant animal liver has very valuable nutrients that are hard to find otherwise, for example copper.

If it would be the vitamin A in it you could try pure retinyl palmitate or chicken liver (lacks copper for example) but I promise you, that you won‘t get the same effect.

DonLore

I do not take hormones and avoid herbs for this reason. However I have to say I feel much better mentally and physically (look better) since taking D3 (deficient)
MK-4 15 mg (It controls my gum pain and gets rid of bone pain).
MK-7
Vitamin C 500 mg
Glycine 3g
TUDCA 500 mg
L-Theanine (I have ADHD)
B1, R5P, NR, pantethine, ~10 mg P5P, biotin (I do not take B9 as I’m an undermethylator or B12 due to a very bad reaction)
1 drop Vit E at night
Zinc gluconate 30 mg
Liquid chlorophyll (allergies).
Bromelain for severe allergies
Magnesium Malate 200 mg
Calcium citrate 500 mg
COQ10 200 mg
Dessicated lamb Liver Heart capsules to address Anemia mainly
Aspirin 300 mg (reduces inflammation + gum pain)
That is a lot of supplements. Recently, I have felt the best just fasting when not hungry, and eating when I want what I want. Liver is better for vit A anyway than supplement

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals