Can High Vitamin D Compensate Lower Dietary Calcium?

youngsinatra

Hey everyone,

My mother recently got some blood work done and her vitamin D was around 70ng/ml and PTH in the lower quartile. Her diet isn't that rich in calcium except some mineral water and she does eat quite a bit of high-phosphorus foods. I was wondering if a high vitamin D level could lower the need for a perfect calcium:phosphate ratio to keep PTH at bay.

I would love to hear some thoughts on that matter!

PS she supplements 7 to 8000 IU D3 daily.

Re.Generate

Hey everyone,

My mother recently got some blood work done and her vitamin D was around 70ng/ml and PTH in the lower quartile. Her diet isn't that rich in calcium except some mineral water and she does eat quite a bit of high-phosphorus foods. I was wondering if a high vitamin D level could lower the need for a perfect calcium:phosphate ratio to keep PTH at bay.

I would love to hear some thoughts on that matter!

PS she supplements 7 to 8000 IU D3 daily.
Vitamin d can enable the absorption of calcium, and does by itself lower parathyroid hormone, but at the same time we still need to be eating calcium as well in my understanding ?

marko9437

Hello. Yes, I believe that vitamin D will definitely increase calcium absorption. I also think that is the reason it is imperative to take K2 along with D3. Apparently, K2 is important in getting all that calcium into bones, otherwise, it will start depositing in the joints.

I think that is what happened to me. A few years ago I was supplementing heavy D3 (60,000 units daily) and the result was that after 6 months or so my psoriasis that had plagued me for 10 years almost completely cleared up. However, then I got hit with massive joint inflammation episode all over my body, which left me unable to move.

The doctors had no idea what it was, gave me 4 different diagnoses. Then when I found out about K2 I figured out for myself it was probably pseudogout from the excess calcium depositing in the joints.

Apparently, for 10,000 D3 units, you should do 100 mcg K2, but since then I personally do 200 mcg K2 per 10,000 D3 just to be on the safe side.

PS. Might be bold coming from me given the story above but I think 8,000 D3 might be too low to make a difference. Especially if her gut situation is such that there is an absorption issue. Personally, I think a much higher dose is safe, just be absolutely sure to pair it with plenty of K2. But I'm not an expert, just a user with this personal experience.

In fact, if existing soft-tissue calcification is suspected I wouldn't start with D3 right away at all. I would do high K2 alone for a few weeks first to try and clear that up, and only then add D3.

Last edited:

baccheion

Megadose D3 enables 1:2 calcium:phosphorus. 600:1,200 mg, for example.

50,000 IU with 100 mcg K2 MK-7 and 1 mg K2 MK-4 per 10,000 IU. 800-1,200 mg magnesium.

500-600 mg calcium is a good amount with that much D3. Collard greens.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals