Topical Caffeine for Hair -- How Much? With What?

marko9437

Hello, I bought 1 kilo of caffeine powder. The idea is to apply it to scalp to aid in hair loss prevention similar to what caffeine shampoos claim to do. (They claim caffeine blocks DHT but more likely it stimulates cell metabolism.)

Here is the thing, how much should I be applying per day/session? Any suggestions for what is a good quantity? Failing that, any ideas what is a good method to figure that out?

Finally, any ideas what I could mix the caffeine powder into? Maybe into some existing hair tonic? Something that will stick on the head and won't just run down like water.

BTW, I feel lucky that I was able to find caffeine powder. Cheaper than tablets and less messy than coffee.

jondoeuk

Last edited:

golder

Caffeine (in part) is an phosphodiesterase inhibitor and prevents cAMP from being broken down, thus could increase the amount of time that hairs spend in the anagen phase and less in the telogen phase. As for dose, some papers suggest 0.2% An Open-Label Randomized Multicenter Study Assessing the Noninferiority of a Caffeine-Based Topical Liquid 0.2% versus Minoxidil 5% Solution in Male Androgenetic Alopecia

Also, stemoxydine could be used as a vehicle.
Do you think stemoxydine would be a better carrie than just ethanol/water? Does stemoxydine have a Peaty mechanism of action? I haven’t fever deeply enough into it. Cheers.

OP
M

marko9437

Caffeine (in part) is an phosphodiesterase inhibitor and prevents cAMP from being broken down, thus could increase the amount of time that hairs spend in the anagen phase and less in the telogen phase. As for dose, some papers suggest 0.2% An Open-Label Randomized Multicenter Study Assessing the Noninferiority of a Caffeine-Based Topical Liquid 0.2% versus Minoxidil 5% Solution in Male Androgenetic Alopecia

Thanks, that's perfect!

All the studies suggesting topical caffeine helps hair growth are run by people affiliated with a topical caffeine product company, "Dr. Kurt Wolff GmbH". It might be somewhat effective, but it's certainly nowhere near minoxidil in my experience.

OP
M

marko9437

All the studies suggesting topical caffeine helps hair growth are run by people affiliated with a topical caffeine product company, "Dr. Kurt Wolff GmbH". It might be somewhat effective, but it's certainly nowhere near minoxidil in my experience.

That's okay because caffeine is far safer and Peatarian so the risks are lower.

OP
M

marko9437

Will coffee grounds work mixed?

They will work the same, but how are you going to calculate potency, plus it's going to be super messy.

At least get caffeine pills and dissolve them, if you can't get powder.

OP
M

marko9437

You know what I realized. It's a 0.2% solution, and they used only 2mL per session.

That comes to just only 4 mg of caffeine that is to be spread over the scalp in a day.

Any feelings about this? It seems such a tiny amount but I'm no biochemist...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals