Too Much Red Light?

too much red light -- I use the full body red light device from Joovv and it puts out 1000 watts in LEDs. I think I overdid it. I recovered from it, but it took about a month. Now I'm much more careful. Limit exposure to 4 minutes a day (I was doing 10) and sometimes not that much or any.

Sepulchrave

I'm using 300W halogen incandescent lamps in a floor lamp. Often, they create discomfort in a subtle way after using it for an hour or so. I've also noticed a reduction in motivation and reluctance to exercise since I've been using it.

I don't think incandescents are harmless in higher amounts. Since, after an hour or two in direct sunlight, people seek shade. I think it's safer to use these lamps for general lighting, creating a very bright room, rather than in a focussed way, close to one.

Red light seems to have a warming effect on the body-mind, which explains the cracked lips that another poster reported. The warming effect should also produce anger and resentment in the psyche with excessive use (pittha dosha).

Last edited:
L

lollipop

Red light seems to have a warming effect on the body-mind, which explains the cracked lips that another poster reported. The warming effect should also produce anger and resentment in the psyche with excessive use (pittha dosha).
This is an interesting connection you have made here. Makes a lot of sense.

TheDrumGuy

I'm using 300W halogen incandescent lamps in a floor lamp. Often, they create discomfort in a subtle way after using it for an hour or so. I've also noticed a reduction in motivation and reluctance to exercise since I've been using it.

How close is the lamp? Is it maybe overheating you? Also keep in mind halogen bulbs can emit significant amounts of UV.

DaveFoster

I don't think incandescents are harmless in higher amounts. Since, after an hour or two in direct sunlight, people seek shade. I think it's safer to use these lamps for general lighting, creating a very bright room, rather than in a focussed way, close to one.

I had four 250 watt incandescent bulbs shining fairly close to me for a couple hours. After the first hour, I began to get some mild anxiety and feelings of overstimulation, and upon ceasing the light, the anxiety seems to have lessened.

It's interesting to note the connection red light has to increased nitric oxide (NO), and Dr. Peat's quote on exhaled NO being indicative of an individual's well-being.

Soren

Forum Supporter
too much red light -- I use the full body red light device from Joovv and it puts out 1000 watts in LEDs. I think I overdid it. I recovered from it, but it took about a month. Now I'm much more careful. Limit exposure to 4 minutes a day (I was doing 10) and sometimes not that much or any.

I just got my folks the Joovv full body max NIR/Red combo, my goal was to help treat a few chronic conditions that they have. Joovv recommends daily exposure of 10 minutes, what makes you think you over did it? Did you have any particular symptoms or negative effects?

Also what benefits did you experience from it?

Wagner83

It's the second time red light in the eyes/on the face gives me really bad sinusitis, very annoying I wonder how I forgot and decided to try again.

biggirlkisss

a combo of red led and incandescent 130 volt bulb would be best. I would like to get a lux meter and measure the sun in july then get a house and use all the 15amp breakers like 5-7 and max them out at 10000 watts I could go even higher. which is like roughly 1800000 lumens every 5 minutes per hour then turn them off though power bars.. that be sweet.

Soren

Forum Supporter
It's the second time red light in the eyes/on the face gives me really bad sinusitis, very annoying I wonder how I forgot and decided to try again.

That is something I've never heard. Any idea why that might be happening? What kind of light are you using? Perhaps the light is lowering your inflammatory markers too much thereby allowing bacteria in your sinus' to proliferate.

Wagner83

That is something I've never heard. Any idea why that might be happening? What kind of light are you using? Perhaps the light is lowering your inflammatory markers too much thereby allowing bacteria in your sinus' to proliferate.
That's one way to see it but I doubt it, generally speaking I believe that if something is positive it should have positive effects. I think there may be issue there already (I often had sinus issues in the past) and for some reason they get worse, or maybe I'm just very sensitive, or too much crap tries to move too quickly. Mixing dairy and fish, or dairy in general may give some issues but with red light (mini from redlightman) it becomes a whole other problem that lasts a few days. Thankfully I think the horseradish/wasabi powder is pretty great. I put a teaspoon in the mouth and let it work its magic, then I spit it out (it may be a bit hard on the stomach and the wasabi powder is a bit high in pufa).

Soren

Forum Supporter
That's one way to see it but I doubt it, generally speaking I believe that if something is positive it should have positive effects. I think there may be issue there already (I often had sinus issues in the past) and for some reason they get worse, or maybe I'm just very sensitive, or too much crap tries to move too quickly. Mixing dairy and fish, or dairy in general may give some issues but with red light (mini from redlightman) it becomes a whole other problem that lasts a few days. Thankfully I think the horseradish/wasabi powder is pretty great. I put a teaspoon in the mouth and let it work its magic, then I spit it out (it may be a bit hard on the stomach and the wasabi powder is a bit high in pufa).

Love the horseradish wasabi trick, never heard of that before, sounds like it would be a menthol mint x1000. Does that just completely open up your sinus or does it also work to take on the infection?

Wagner83

Not sure I think both are related, you feel it work and start spitting some mucus. I need to keep doing it tomorrow and see. Fresh horseradish or even horseradish salad a la carrot salad may be better but is hard to find for me.

10 minutes a day is okay if you are two feet away. I tend to go right up to the unit and have it against my skin, which I think results in much, much higher exposure due to the inverse square law. I think 3 or 4 times a week at 3 or 4 minutes this way is plenty if you are doing it my way. If you are a few feet away, every day for 10 minutes is fine.

Wagner83

Not sure I think both are related, you feel it work and start spitting some mucus. I need to keep doing it tomorrow and see. Fresh horseradish or even horseradish salad a la carrot salad may be better but is hard to find for me.
I just thought about it again and if my memory is correct both Ray and haidut noticed migraines/headaches from redlight.

x-ray peat

I just thought about it again and if my memory is correct both Ray and haidut noticed migraines/headaches from redlight.
Another data point. I get strange druggy feelings from shining too much red light on my head. I also get strange headaches from wearing red tinted glasses.

golder

Could someone share some of their expertise on a rough amount we would need to increase our vitamin A from the increased red light exposure? Would 10mins of 1000w full body red light a day warrant for example a 10k+ui of Retinyl Palmitate?

Yeah it's quite unnatural. Sunlight has other wavelengths that balance the effects of red light and infrared. Without the other wavelengths red light is too stimulating, especially on tissues near the skin. Ray Peat has also theorized that specific wavelengths are responsible for the production of specific hormones in the skin. If this is true then red light would also lead to overproduction of specific hormones.

15 seconds of whole-body exposure to LGS1 at 1 meter's distance gives me estrogenic symptoms which is rather strange (bloated gut, sensitive nipples, water retention).

It's interesting that this leads to such a pronounced surge in hormones, I would expect it to increase T & DHT, but instead the extra T is converting to estrogen for some reason.

I have PFS so maybe my 5-AR pathway is still not as functional as it should be so the extra T is going down the aromatase pathway instead. But this does seem rather powerful of an effect. My idea was to use it for mood enhancement during these winter days when sunlight is not available. Oddly enough I do feel better mentally from the extra estrogen lol. But I don't like having itchy nipples and walking around looking like I'm pregnant. So that sucks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals