Thyroid With Food? (Or Not)

youngsinatra

Hello everyone,

In the last 2 or 3 weeks I took my thyroid (Novothyral T4/T3 mix) in split doses after meals as Ray suggested, but right now, I feel like only a partial portion of it gets absorbed by doing so as my pulse and bodytemp has gotten lower in comparison to before and my constipation is coming back.

This morning I took the usual split dose, but on an empty stomach with just 2 cups of coffee and had breakfast an hour later and now I am hitting 37.2 C and 80 bpm pulse and also had a bowel movement.

Maybe I malabsorb thyroid with food, as I eat relatively good amounts of fiber from fruits with each meal? Or maybe because I have IBS/celiac and possibly malabsorption anyway?

Hows your experience regarding thyroid with and without food/drinks. Would like to know!

Phaedrus

I take a quarter of a Cynoplus tablet after breakfast and another after dinner, but I chew the tablet and let it sit in my bottom lip for a few seconds before swallowing. The gums absorb some of the T3 very quickly and so I almost immediately can feel it.

I take 1.5 Cynoplus per day, divided so that I have 1/2 during/after each meal. Works much better than on an empty stomach or just with coffee. There is a massive diifference. In fact, if I take it on an empty stomach I don’t feel much/any effect.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

I take a quarter of a Cynoplus tablet after breakfast and another after dinner, but I chew the tablet and let it sit in my bottom lip for a few seconds before swallowing. The gums absorb some of the T3 very quickly and so I almost immediately can feel it.
Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

I take 1.5 Cynoplus per day, divided so that I have 1/2 during/after each meal. Works much better than on an empty stomach or just with coffee. There is a massive diifference. In fact, if I take it on an empty stomach I don’t feel much/any effect.
Interesting! Also quite a large dose — almost 4 traditional grains which is apparently full replacement. How long have you been on that regimen?

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

I have seen one paper where patients who took thyroid (T4) after breakfast had higher TSH (2.9) than those who took it on an empty stomach (1.9) in the morning, so quite a significant difference. I cannot find the title of the paper, but I try to link it later on, when I find it.

Coffee also reduces thyroxine absorption by approximately 30% or so, which is quite significant aswell.

I have heard (not read!) that T3 is relatively well absorbed even with food/coffee, but I cannot find studies about it. It would be super cool if anyone could send me a reference for that if they have any.

Liquid formulas of thyroid seem to be fine, even when taken with meals.. maybe just chew the tablets and let it dissolve a bit in the saliva?

megabit

I have seen one paper where patients who took thyroid (T4) after breakfast had higher TSH (2.9) than those who took it on an empty stomach (1.9) in the morning, so quite a significant difference.
As far as labs are concerned, a lower TSH signifies better thyroid function.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

As far as labs are concerned, a lower TSH signifies better thyroid function.
Exactly. We likely get less bang for our buck by taking thyroid with food, but increasing the total daily dose will likely circumvent that problem.

cdg

Hello everyone,

In the last 2 or 3 weeks I took my thyroid (Novothyral T4/T3 mix) in split doses after meals as Ray suggested, but right now, I feel like only a partial portion of it gets absorbed by doing so as my pulse and bodytemp has gotten lower in comparison to before and my constipation is coming back.

This morning I took the usual split dose, but on an empty stomach with just 2 cups of coffee and had breakfast an hour later and now I am hitting 37.2 C and 80 bpm pulse and also had a bowel movement.

Maybe I malabsorb thyroid with food, as I eat relatively good amounts of fiber from fruits with each meal? Or maybe because I have IBS/celiac and possibly malabsorption anyway?

Hows your experience regarding thyroid with and without food/drinks. Would like to know!
Dr Peat always said to take it with food. And food it is.

FitnessMike

with food fam

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

I find that thyroid sometimes is less well absorbed depending on the meal composition (relative to the calcium, iron, fiber amount, which all have been shown to reduce thyroid hormone absorption)

In the last week I ate more fiber with each meal and I felt like my thyroid doses were getting less well absorbed. My body temperature reduced to 36.5 C and pulse lowered to 60 bpm and I felt a few hypo symptoms return like midday fatigue, feeling cold and nagging constipation no matter what I do to.

This morning I took a typical thyroid dose, but with black coffee only and ate breakfast an hour later. My body temperature has been 37.0 C and pulse 75 throughout the day so far. (took it 7h ago) Felt warm, upbeat and instantly had a big bowel movement in the AM.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

1BFACCD2-53EA-40D1-BEE2-C0C32CC0010D.jpeg

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

peter88

View attachment 54706
So you notice better effects taking it on an empty stomach? Do you split it up into multiple doses throughout the day?

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

So you notice better effects taking it on an empty stomach? Do you split it up into multiple doses throughout the day?
Yes, but the effects seem to taper of around the afternoon. Might benefit from another dose of T3 at that time.

Tomorrow I hopefully get my thyroid labs, to make some informed decisions on how to move on.

peter88

Yes, but the effects seem to taper of around the afternoon. Might benefit from another dose of T3 at that time.

Tomorrow I hopefully get my thyroid labs, to make some informed decisions on how to move on.
Thank you. Id love to see your results when you get them.

kimbriel

Hello everyone,

I dissolve my thyroid meds under my tongue so the food issue doesn't matter. Dr. Peat was known to say that you shouldn't wait to eat while taking thyroid meds because it's hard on the liver. The fact is, though, that when I let it dissolve into the thin membranes of my mouth, I can feel it working within minutes, like when you boot up a computer.

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

„Studies show optimal intestinal absorption of levothyroxine (LT4) under fasting conditions, with reduction from approximately 80 to 40–64% with concurrent food ingestion“

I do think with food is likely best and least stressful, due to more sustained and slow release, but one might need 1.5x to 2x the amount.

I cannot find much literature on T3 and it’s absorption with food vs fasted. If anyone finds something, please share it here.

sunny

I have recently gone back to armour from cynoplus and cytomel. I had been waiting for a reliable supply of naturethroid but that doesn't seem like it will ever happen. I am going to look at acella as well- at the time I got the rx I was not aware acella was available.

Anyway, to start with, I am taking half my dose at noon with lunch and the other half at bedtime. This Schedule is to avoid taking it with all the raw milk I drink.

So far so good. I should add that I do not have a thyroid. I had taken naturethroid for many years with great results before the shortages. I am feeling more like myself with the armour. Acella has only 3 ingredients so I may try that next.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals