Reason To Take T3/t4 When Thyroid Is In A Relatively Healthy Range?

thms

Dear all,

Been reading a lot lately on this forum and also the articles of ray peat.

Is there any reason/benefits to take t3/t4 if your thyroid is in a relatively healthy range?

My pulse / temps raised since i started to consume more sugar/less poly fats .

i THINK it is in a relatively healthy range.

Would it have any benefit for me to take t3 / t 4 daily to further raise metabolism or would that only be a replacement dose?

Thank you for your advice

milk_lover

I wouldn't touch thyroid unless I really need it. If your temperature and pulse are within range, and you feel good, I think no need for thyroid.

Peatful

Estrogen inhibitor?

encerent

You could take NDT. In lose doses it's really safe. And people used to eat animal thyroid

My TSH is 1.5 within the range of 0,4 - 4...

I think that you are close enough to optimal that you can do this without taking thyroid hormones.
I lowered mine from 8 to 3.5 without taking hormones so you can definitely lower yours... diet, some supplements, maybe red light & lifestyle changes, can get you there for sure. I think 0.4-0.8 you'd be in a really good place.

OP
thms

thms

I think that you are close enough to optimal that you can do this without taking thyroid hormones.
I lowered mine from 8 to 3.5 without taking hormones so you can definitely lower yours... diet, some supplements, maybe red light & lifestyle changes, can get you there for sure. I think 0.4-0.8 you'd be in a really good place.

How did you lower yours?
what supplements do you reccomend?

low fat / high carb?

no grains/starch????

Eating lots of carbs and enough protein 130-150 g, avoiding PUFA, moderate fat ~40 g, using coffee, getting at least 1 hour of sunlight daily. Fixing the circadian rhythm - using F.Lux and red lights at night, limiting blue, waking up early in the morning at sunrise, avoiding endurance cardio, just walking and doing some strength training according to your abilities. Red light therapy shined at your thyroid also helps a lot, works even better than thyroid hormones IMO.

Avoiding wheat as much as possible, occasionally eating oats and rice. Potatoes often, no problems with them.

Supplements: maybe ashwagandha could be useful for lowering TSH
Magnesium carbonate/chloride
Selenium if the soil is deficient

Wagner83

Eating lots of carbs and enough protein 130-150 g, avoiding PUFA, moderate fat ~40 g, using coffee, getting at least 1 hour of sunlight daily. Fixing the circadian rhythm - using F.Lux and red lights at night, limiting blue, waking up early in the morning at sunrise, avoiding endurance cardio, just walking and doing some strength training according to your abilities. Red light therapy shined at your thyroid also helps a lot, works even better than thyroid hormones IMO.

Avoiding wheat as much as possible, occasionally eating oats and rice. Potatoes often, no problems with them.

Supplements: maybe ashwagandha could be useful for lowering TSH
Magnesium carbonate/chloride
Selenium if the soil is deficient
Why do you want to avoid wheat in particular ? What have you noticed since ditching it?

Queequeg

Still looking for supporting evidence on this one...
Not sure about evidence but Ray says keeping TSH below .4 is ideal. TSH is very pro inflammatory.

Ray Peat
Email exchanges with Ray Peat - Ray Peat Q&A
I think it's best to keep the TSH around 0.4

I think it's good to have TSH below 0.4, and that probably contributes to loss of hair.

I think it's good to have lower TSH. It contributes to some of the circulatory and inflammatory problems seen in hypothyroidism. People with TSH below 0.4 were the freest from thyroid cancer. The amount of body fat contributes to both prostate and breast cancer, largely because it's a chronic source of estrogen, by converting the protective androgens. Milk drinkers tend to be the least obese (e.g., the Masai people). One study saw an association of skimmed milk with prostate cancer, but not whole milk, probably because fat people avoid whole milk. Powdered eggshells are a good alternative source of calcium, but milk and cheese are better. When the TSH is lower, the estrogen will probably be lower too.

Last edited:

Waynish

I don't like blind quoting of Ray. I know "Ray said it," but the data? TSH is inflammatory at all levels? Ok, can you provide a reference for that?

Queequeg

I don't like blind quoting of Ray. I know "Ray said it," but the data? TSH is inflammatory at all levels? Ok, can you provide a reference for that?
see above edit
edit: as for data to back him, that would take a little more research on your part. I would be curious too.

Waynish

see above edit
edit: as for data to back him, that would take a little more research on your part. I would be curious too.

I've asked about it a few times on here and wasn't able to find a convincing answer in ~30m research.

Queequeg

Last edited:

artlange

whenever I want to see what peat thinks, I go to his written articles. It seem like not enough members of this forum know that these articles exist.
Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.
from the article
In recent years the “normal range” for TSH has been decreasing. In 2003, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists changed their guidelines for the normal range to 0.3 to 3.0 microIU/ml. But even though this lower range is less arbitrary than the older standards, it still isn't based on an understanding of the physiological meaning of TSH.

Over a period of several years, I never saw a person whose TSH was over 2 microIU/ml who was comfortably healthy, and I formed the impression that the normal, or healthy, quantity was probably something less than 1.0.

If a pathologically high TSH is defined as normal, its role in major diseases, such as breast cancer, mastalgia, MS, fibrotic diseases, and epilepsy, will simply be ignored. Even if the possibility is considered, the use of an irrational norm, instead of a proper comparison, such as the statistical difference between the mean TSH levels of cases and controls, leads to denial of an association between hypothyroidism and important diseases, despite evidence that indicates an association.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals