Thyroid Supplement

4peatssake

He orders from here.

Padmaaa

I am taking 1/2 tablets of Nutri-Meds Thyroid 6 times a day (3 tables in total), but I'd like to switch to a combination of Cynomel and Cynoplus that just arrived today. But I don't know the conversion between Nutri-Meds and Cynomel.

Do any of you have a suggestion how much to start with?

And how on earth can anybody cut a Cynoplus tablet into 6 or 8 pieces? It often crumbles into small pieces. (I tried both a knife and a pill cutter).

And when it doesn't the pieces are not the same sizes, so I cannot take the same amount each time.

Dan W

Padmaaa said:
And how on earth can anybody cut a Cynoplus tablet into 6 or 8 pieces? It often crumbles into small pieces. (I tried both a knife and a pill cutter).
I forget whose idea it was, but nail clippers work pretty well, strangely enough. I think they work slightly better than a pill cutter, but you'll still get some crumbling.

4peatssake

Dan Wich said:
Padmaaa said:
I forget whose idea it was, but nail clippers work pretty well, strangely enough. I think they work slightly better than a pill cutter, but you'll still get some crumbling.
I use a Xacto knife and it works pretty good. No crumbling but sometimes a challenge to get equal sized pieces.

I only need to cut cynopus as I use the nibble technique with cynomel. ;)

Padmaaa

I use a Xacto knife and it works pretty good. No crumbling but sometimes a challenge to get equal sized pieces.

I only need to cut cynopus as I use the nibble technique with cynomel. ;)[/quote]

What is a Xacto knife? I live in Australia and I never heard of it.

4peatssake

Padmaaa said:
What is a Xacto knife? I live in Australia and I never heard of it.
X-Acto-knife.jpg

Eckersleys in Australia sells them online

Gran Turisma

We need to get together and start our own thyroid brand. No excipients, just all good stuff.

There is already a brand like this. Dr Ron's Ultra Pure. Organic, grass fed, free range animals from New Zealand are the source of his desiccated glandulars. No excipients are used.

mimi

hey!!

do any of you know this product?? Metavive IV Bovine Thyroid 530mg (90)

I want to find out if it is a good choice! I want to start taking a bit of thyroid… maybe. :)
they use all kinds of organ meats in these pills; but the main ingredient should be desiccated thyroid.

this is what it says on the homepage of the online shop that sells it:

[tab=30]Metavive IV contains the same supreme quality, raw, free-range, whole desiccated thyroid gland as before, and is still made by Nutri-Meds using their proprietary farm sources and low temperature processes. So to all our current customers, please rest assured that although names may have changed, the manufacturing and raw nutritional value of these products is identical to those you are used to.

As well as changing labels in order to keep up with EU legislation, Nutri-Meds and Procept have taken on board the feedback received from doctors, nutritionists and naturopaths over the last few years, and have used this opportunity to improve their formulations.

The result is that in addition to desiccated thyroid gland, each capsule now contains a full spectrum of organ meats and a specially selected blend of vitamins and minerals, designed to nourish the entire body. We believe the end result of this development process is probably the highest quality thyroid glandular supplement available:

• Free-range Bovine meats, grown without the use of hormones or pesticides
• Nothing removed - just whole, raw, quality meats processed at low temperatures
• Containing a full spectrum of organ meats to nourish the whole body
• Specially selected vitamins and minerals to enhance nutrition
• Free from all artificial additives (colours, binders, fillers and flow agents)
• Free from added salt, sugar, starch, wheat, corn, yeast, dairy and soy derivatives

Ingredients:

Each serving of 1 capsule contains:

Bovine Desiccated Thyroid Gland (130mg); Vitamin C as Sodium & zinc L-ascorbate (120mg, 150% RDA); L-Tyrosine; Bovine Liver; Bovine Lung; Bovine Kidney; Bovine Pancreas; Bovine Spleen; Bovine Bone; Bovine Thymus; Bovine Heart; Pantothenic acid as Calcium D-pantothenate (12mg, 200% RDA); Bovine Lymph Node; Bovine Stomach; Bovine Duodenum; Zinc as Zinc-L-ascorbate (5mg, 50%RDA); Vitamin B2 as Riboflavin (2.8mg, 200% RDA); Vitamin B6 as Pyridoxine hydrochloride (1.4mg, 100% RDA); Iodine as Potassium iodide (76ug, 50% RDA); Selenium as L-selenomethionine (28ug, 50% RDA); Vitamin B12 as Methylcobalamin (5ug, 200% RDA); Gelatin capsule.

Directions for Use:

Take 1 capsule per day before a meal, or as directed by a qualified healthcare practitioner. Store in a cool, dry place.

4peatssake

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.
It contains iodine and Ray Peat does not recommend taking iodine.

It is much better to get nutrition from food, rather than a supplement such as this.

Ray Peat recommends supplementing thyroid using cynoplus and cynomel, which are synthetic hormones. He went this route after Armour changed its formula and began using dangerous excipients in its glandular product. As such, he no longer personally recommends glandular products.

There are forum members, however, who have had success using thiroyd, a glandular product from Thailand and it is available from PimPom Product They offer a discount to forum members.

PimPom Product said:
Natural Desiccated Thyroid!
Discounted for Raypeatforum members
Read First:http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2336
You can order cynoplus and cynomel from Farmacia del Nino in Mexico They have the best prices.

These are the only thyroid supplements I would consider using.

Gran Turisma

I use Dr Ron's thyroid, as expensive as it is. Same deal only from organic, pasture fed, free ranging cows. No excipients, yucky fillers, etc, It does have desiccated liver which I think is used as a good value filler. Metavive looks ok, but I would not use it in my regime because of all the extra vitamins. I prefer sourcing vits from whole foods. Also, why would one need to take bovine stomach, duodenum, etc? Seems like they thought it would be a good sales pitch to add all the leftovers. Maybe it's all good, but for my regime, it's not what I am after if I just want to get a bit of a thyroid boost.

I heard about the Armor debacle, but it seems like a strange call to write off all glandulars just because one company did some funny stuff with their formula. Dr Ron's is so straight up, no extras, no b.s. I've been using it recently because my diet has been off with the Xmas jolly season. It really works quickly... I don't understand why people say it takes time to build up in your system, like over weeks. I seem to get an affect pretty much the same day. I am tapering off it again now my diet is back on track, down to half a cap which is 1/4 grain. But on off days I took up to one and a half caps. Fixes me up straight away. Don't mean to sound like an advert. Just saying, glandulars, used in the right way, are great.

mimi

Hey, thanks for the quick reply you two! =)

Made my decision a lot easier. Doesn't seem to be that easy to get good stuff in Europe. :(

Ordering from Thailand seems kinda weird. :D
But thanks!!

J

j.

Gran Turisma said:
I heard about the Armor debacle, but it seems like a strange call to write off all glandulars just because one company did some funny stuff with their formula.

I think Peat doesn't know what to recommend when it comes to NDT because he hasn't experimented with them for some time. He doesn't claim they're bad. He doesn't know.

J

j.

Gran Turisma said:
I don't understand why people say it takes time to build up in your system, like over weeks. I seem to get an affect pretty much the same day.

The T3 affects you the same day, the T4 effect builds up.

Gran Turisma

Doesn't seem to be that easy to get good stuff in Europe.
Yup. Try being in Australia. ;) I order from the USA because it's cheaper, there are brands that don't do excipients and all the crappy extras, and the range is so much better.

Gran Turisma

The T3 affects you the same day, the T4 effect builds up.

Hmh, that's very enlightening. Makes sense why removing inflammatory foods from my diet improves my symptoms so dramatically. According to this series of articles, low T3 is caused by inflammation:

http://chriskresser.com/inflammation-strikes-again

I was coming to the conclusion recently that thyroid disorders were a collection of symptoms resulting from various food intolerances. I am still leaning towards this, but the mechanisms and complexities of how they start are still a mystery, and probably quite varied.

For me, I believe it began when I was on a daily dose of NSAIDs for months for a herniated disk 20 years ago. I think they caused leaky gut, which allowed food particles that were too big and not properly digested to enter my blood stream. My symptoms all started up at this time. I was also vegetarian and consuming soy. A bad mix. Anyways, all ok now, since I discovered Ray's advice about inflammatory oils.

I've also been off soy and gluten for a few years now, and tend to avoid crucifers. (Never liked the taste of them anyway.) Soy and gluten are the major avoids along with inflammatory oils, but I know there are other food stuffs that give me other problems (not related to thyroid), like high fructose fruits, and I suspect some of those vegetable gums and other exotic substances like tapioca starch (exotic to the body, that is). My diet is so simple these days.

J

j.

Gran Turisma said:
I was coming to the conclusion recently that thyroid disorders were a collection of symptoms resulting from various food intolerances.

I think low thyroid function is the cause of the various food intolerances.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals