Bovine Thyroid

XPlus

Here's some pictures of a thyroid gland I got my hand on recently.
Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be many photos of bovine thyroid or even thyroid of anything else around the internet.

I was hoping to get it in shape, at least so it's more possible to relate to from pictures.
Also was hoping to take a crack at making a powder out of it as it was discussed here but I've no idea how it goes.
ilovethesea said:
I found this: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/medical-books/

5) 1906 A Manual of Metria Medica and Pharmacology (for students, druggists, pharmacists, and physicians) by Lea Brothers & Co. Philadelphia and New York.

Page 663: Explains the making of Sheep Thyroid desiccated powder: Remove external fat and connective tissue from thyroid glands taken from sheep immediately after killing; cut glands across, rejecting any with cysts or are hypertrophied, or otherwise abnormal; mince finely with healthy glands, dry at 32 -to 38 degrees C. (90-100 degrees F), powder dried product, remove all fat by treating with petroleum benzin, dry residue. It is a yellowish, amorphous powder, slight peculiar odor, containing the active ingredients of the thyroid tissue, partially soluble in water, 1 part equals 5 parts of fresh glands, ash p.c.

Maybe next time I'll grab one of those underemployed chemistry high school teachers and we'd start our own lab.

It weights around 1-1.5 kg as an estimate, before removing fat and excess tissue.

It has a distinct desirable smell. Just like an addictive illegal substance or Vitmain A acetate if you're familiar with it.

At first I was skeptical as whether this is a single thyroid or a bunch of them but recalling my first experience, I believe it's one calf's thyroid. The 3-4 distinct parts are the same I got the last time, with one of them is a cut where the gland is connected rest of the body's blood piping system. Next time I should confirm with the butcher.

It takes a little time to clean but the most difficult part is distinguishing fat from thyroid. The fat is textured in the same fashion as the gland.

Side view for the thyroid blood piping

This is what's left after initial cleaning. I think what's left is about 50% of the initial weight and volume.

I've divided these into 3 parts. Each seems distinct from the others. Made a small cut in each of them to show what it looks inside if you look closely. One part (North West) seems like pure thyroid tissue to me inside some casing-like tissue that is a little tough to remove. Just like a tight sack full of little balls.
The part (North West) feels as if fat is mixed finely with thyroid.
The one (South) looks a little darker like a cut of meat with a good amount of fat marbling.

This looks like a cyst (Maybe I should've rejected this gland or maybe it is enough to just surgically remove it)

This is as much as I'm going to try today

Attachments

• 20120101_233031.jpg
    20120101_233031.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 934
  • 20120101_233823.jpg
    20120101_233823.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 920
  • 20120101_234005.jpg
    20120101_234005.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 919
  • 20120101_234022.jpg
    20120101_234022.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 918
  • 20120101_235839.jpg
    20120101_235839.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 915
  • 20120101_235851.jpg
    20120101_235851.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 896
  • 20120102_000122.jpg
    20120102_000122.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 894
  • 20120102_000507.jpg
    20120102_000507.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 921

tara

Thanks for the pics. :)

Mittir

I spend a lot of time online to find image of cow or sheep thyroid gland. My butcher does not know
where the thyroid is and i showed him a anatomy pic and he was confused.
Thanks for the images. I am still not sure if those are meant to be this large.

The piece you are holding might be too much thyroid hormones. RP mentioned
that one gram of fresh weight bovine thyroid gland is equivalent to 15 grains of armour thyroid.

paper_clips43

I have heard that baby animals, or just small, have large thyroid glands. Whereas a thyroid from a full grown bison would have a tiny thyroid gland. I have ordered about 4 thyroids in my day, although never from a calf, and they were about half the size of the picture shown. BTW this information is coming from Aajonus Vonderplanitz so not sure how much you want to trust the source. He claims he would eat one full thyroid gland every 3-6 months and it was enough to last for many months.

OP
XPlus

XPlus

Mittir said:
I spend a lot of time online to find image of cow or sheep thyroid gland. My butcher does not know

that one gram of fresh weight bovine thyroid gland is equivalent to 15 grains of armour thyroid.

paper_clips43 said:
I have heard that baby animals, or just small, have large thyroid glands. Whereas a thyroid from a full grown bison would have a tiny thyroid gland. I have ordered about 4 thyroids in my day, although never from a calf, and they were about half the size of the picture shown. BTW this information is coming from Aajonus Vonderplanitz so not sure how much you want to trust the source. He claims he would eat one full thyroid gland every 3-6 months and it was enough to last for many months.

Hmmmm..

You've valid points which make me a bit skeptical now. The thyroid from the few photos around the web appears dark, small and the pieces look round rather than triangular. What I posted looks more like the thymus but still difficult to confirm without much information around the web.

I woke up today sweating with pulse around 98-100 but can't confirm whether it's from that piece I ate or food and other supplements I'm taking.

It'll be few weeks until I visit that butcher again. I'll see If I can be present at the slaughter house so I see for myself what's going on.

Edit: I think the bottom chunk (South) meets the characteristics of the the thyroid. It was also separate from the rest. It's quite possible that the guy just doesn't know what the thyroid is exactly and gave me all the glands he could put his hands on. No wonder he refers to it it using the generic term "the gland".

I'll remove some from the freezer and do some experiments with it. Then compare the effect of eating it to eating the other two parts.

OP
XPlus

XPlus

Indeed this looks like the thymus.
Large bright/pinkish triangular pieces which is similar to the north east and north west items.
summer-2011-154ii.jpg

3812.jpg

The southern item I hope is the thyroid. it's small, dark and has a bubbly texture.

paper_clips43

Yes I think so too. Thanks for the clarification.

So now that we got into this I am realizing my ignorance... What exactly does the thymus contain? Does it have thyroid hormones as well?

EDIT: Well I did a little reading and found out it contains Thymosin. Does anyone know if Peat thinks this is necessary or how beneficial it may be to metabolism?

It seems to be more directed towards the immune system.

ilovethesea

Omg this is amazing!!!! (Hahahahaha I love this forum)

How did you get it, I thought it was illegal now to buy thyroid? Or do you have some insider connection.

I spoke to butchers here and they won't sell it to me. But I live in a city and don't know anyone who has a farm.

paper_clips43

XPlus said:
Mittir said:

paper_clips43 said:

Hmmmm..

You've valid points which make me a bit skeptical now. The thyroid from the few photos around the web appears dark, small and the pieces look round rather than triangular. What I posted looks more like the thymus but still difficult to confirm without much information around the web.

I woke up today sweating with pulse around 98-100 but can't confirm whether it's from that piece I ate or food and other supplements I'm taking.

It'll be few weeks until I visit that butcher again. I'll see If I can be present at the slaughter house so I see for myself what's going on.

Edit: I think the bottom chunk (South) meets the characteristics of the the thyroid. It was also separate from the rest. It's quite possible that the guy just doesn't know what the thyroid is exactly and gave me all the glands he could put his hands on. No wonder he refers to it it using the generic term "the gland".

I'll remove some from the freezer and do some experiments with it. Then compare the effect of eating it to eating the other two parts.

Any updates with your experience on the consuming the actual thyroid gland?

OP
XPlus

XPlus

ilovethesea said:
Omg this is amazing!!!! (Hahahahaha I love this forum)

How did you get it, I thought it was illegal now to buy thyroid? Or do you have some insider connection.

I spoke to butchers here and they won't sell it to me. But I live in a city and don't know anyone who has a farm.

I'm unsure of the regulations here but the butcher is a family fiend. He didn't bother much when I asked him for it, just told me to come pick it up from the shop.

OP
XPlus

XPlus

paper_clips43 said:
Any updates with your experience on the consuming the actual thyroid gland?

I'm very confident the SW item is the thyroid gland.

Here's a summary of my experiment consuming that gland for the past 10 days:

I cut thyroid stimulating supplements, including Aspirin, Caffeine and Nicainmide.

Everyday, I've taken a little piece of the gland, quickly boiled, still rare because I'm unsure whether the heat degrades hormones.

I don't usually track temperatures because they're almost always good. It's the pulse that's harder for me to keep up constantly.
Prior to this experiment my daily range is approx. between 73-91bpm and usually averaging about 82-85bpm. Very rarely I ever exceeded 90 since I started Peat.

The past 10 days have been like a roller coaster for me.
Pulse ranges from 82bpm to 109bpm, averaging about 88-95 through out the day and 97-105 when well fed. I've hit 109 twice but that was after a huge meal in a buffet.

I hit the lower ends when I'm out fuel and have not had enough sleep.
There's a tendency to get headaches and feel a little dizzy when I run out of sugar.

I've introduced Thiamine during this time but I doubt it has significant metabolism boosting effects.

I'd still want to visit the slaughterhouse myself, next time. Just to get a clear picture of the anatomy.
I'll post photos of when I get to go there myself.

Anna

XPlus said:
I'd still want to visit the slaughterhouse myself, next time. Just to get a clear picture of the anatomy.

Did you ever get to go to the slaughterhouse XPlus? I have also been trying to find photos of the thyroid gland but can’t find any from before it’s been removed. I hunt and thought I would make my own thyroid supplements but I just can’t find the gland :? You’d think you would see it between the skin and the trachea but there’s nothing there that look like glandular tissue. There’s nothing there at all actually as far as I can see.

OP
XPlus

XPlus

Anna said:
XPlus said:

Did you ever get to go to the slaughterhouse XPlus? I have also been trying to find photos of the thyroid gland but can’t find any from before it’s been removed. I hunt and thought I would make my own thyroid supplements but I just can’t find the gland :? You’d think you would see it between the skin and the trachea but there’s nothing there that look like glandular tissue. There’s nothing there at all actually as far as I can see.

I didn't make it to a proper slaughterhouse yet but I've got to witness the slaughter of few sheep.
I looked for it and looked over again and I thought I found it but it was really small. Like the size of 2-3 peanuts.
Didn't get the opportunity to verify whether it's really the thyroid because I was travelling.
This project is still on my mind. Hope I get lucky with time soon and find someone who can help.

Ficini

Hi, I'm new to Peat stuff and he blew my mind :)
I was reading this thread and I went to the butcher here in Romania, where I usually buy beef neck cause I like the taste. An I ask him "does this neck contain the thyroid". He says "no" and he shows me one. I go "but I heard it is illegal to sell it". "What??? who told you that". "Well, I've read it somewhere on the internet" :)). He goes "nah, it's not illegal, but it's rare and expensive... 6 euro/kg". I go, "that's way cheaper than thyroid supplements, put me two".
Now the question is... Is this thyroid? Cause one seems different than the other.

After years of raw veganism. I cant wait to eat this. I 'm so hypothyroid. 35.4 C and 55 bpm when waking up....

Attachments

• 65525460_966338623729731_2898756874989993984_n.jpg
    65525460_966338623729731_2898756874989993984_n.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 55
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals