Hypothyroid symptoms worse after starting NDT?

Jennifer

@-Luke-, I just came across this quote:

windinthepines:

Do you think people can feel spacey and sleepy when increasing a thyroid supplement dose, if the thyroid is lowering stress hormones and the pulse is decreasing?

Peat:

Yes, it sometimes does that during the first week or two of using it.

OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

Thank you @Jennifer!

Edit: The last two mornings my temperature was back at 36.1/36.2. Added some honey and chocolate. Still feel pretty fatigued. Have to drag myself out of bed in the morning.

Last edited:

FitnessMike

NDT can increase rt3, I would recommend a few things along NDT that would increase conversion to T3 and make you feel more hypothyroid.

I take taurine/inosine/magnesium/aspirin/ fat soluble/ black cumin seed oil/ niacinamide helps with a pulse but it might be tricky to supplement/b1/ high carb diet is important

Peatful

Thank you @Jennifer!

Edit: The last two mornings my temperature was back at 36.1/36.2. Added some honey and chocolate. Still feel pretty fatigued. Have to drag myself out of bed in the morning.
Are you still taking the ndt?
That’s counterproductive if so.

I would take three days off of the ndt.
Load up- in a balanced way- on carbs and sugars- then start the ndt again.

Im assuming you’re hypothyroid and don’t have glycogen stored in your liver.

It may even take more than three days of eating robustly.
And you may be surprised.
After eating more than usual for three plus days- you may find you don’t want the ndt.

Know a guy in his thirties that lost all libido and morning wood.
After just two days of mindfully adding more dense carbs- morning wood back.
He was lean and underfed and hypothyroid.
No supplements needed.

Best.

Jennifer

Thank you @Jennifer!

You’re welcome, Luke. :) I’m glad to hear your temps are back up, but sorry you still feel fatigued. Are you still feeling as stressed?

OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

@FitnessMike: Thanks for the suggestions, Mike. If I remember correctly it was you who made the post about Metative that I talked about in the first post and I couldn't find it anymore. Are you still taking it or am I confusing you with somebody else?

@Peatful: Yes, I was still taking the NDT. I tried to eat a lot in the past, probably 5000+ calories, but it never did anything for me. I think you're right about the glycogen stores. The last time I slept through the night without waking up was probably 10 years ago.

@Jennifer: Today I feel pretty normal by my standards. By the way, even though it's a bit off topic, but I read on your profile page that you list "mushroom broth" under supplements. Are there any specific reasons, like additional minerals or hormonal effects?

Peatful

I think you're right about the glycogen stores. The last time I slept through the night without waking up was probably 10 years ago.
This answers a lot then…

FitnessMike

@FitnessMike: Thanks for the suggestions, Mike. If I remember correctly it was you who made the post about Metative that I talked about in the first post and I couldn't find it anymore. Are you still taking it or am I confusing you with somebody else?

@Peatful: Yes, I was still taking the NDT. I tried to eat a lot in the past, probably 5000+ calories, but it never did anything for me. I think you're right about the glycogen stores. The last time I slept through the night without waking up was probably 10 years ago.

@Jennifer: Today I feel pretty normal by my standards. By the way, even though it's a bit off topic, but I read on your profile page that you list "mushroom broth" under supplements. Are there any specific reasons, like additional minerals or hormonal effects?
could have been me, yes i take porcine, might switch to bovine as my total t4 runs quite low with good ft3/ft4.

OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

Peatful

The funny things though is that it improved since starting NDT.
Great.
Keep eating then.

Never underestimate the power of food and a “healthy appetite” right?

We’ve been so conditioned through the decades to be afraid of food. To restrict.

Food is a powerful chemical and hormonal messenger.

Im sure you know this. But anyone who comes across this thread in the future.
I encourage food first.

Best.

Jennifer

Okay, well, that’s better than previous days. I have a cup of mushroom broth daily as a seafood replacement—for minerals like selenium—and a vehicle for salt.

OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

Okay, well, that’s better than previous days. I have a cup of mushroom broth daily as a seafood replacement—for minerals like selenium—and a vehicle for salt.
I wasn't aware that mushrooms are a nice selenium source. Good to know! Bought some today and I'm making some kind of stew with it right now.

Jennifer

I wasn't aware that mushrooms are a nice selenium source. Good to know! Bought some today and I'm making some kind of stew with it right now.

Yum! I made stew yesterday for my dad. :) Mushrooms are also a good source of copper and B vitamins. I have a cup of the mushroom broth daily so I always have a 2 liter jar of it in the fridge:

20230117_121231.jpg

OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

Jennifer

Oh, thank you, Jennifer. How do you know when my birthday is?

You’re welcome. :) I saw it pop up when I logged in. It appears to be a new feature.

Jennifer

@-Luke-, how are doing with the NDT? Any improvements?

OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

@-Luke-, how are doing with the NDT? Any improvements?
I haven't measured temperatures in the last few days because of laziness a lot to do. But things have pretty much normalized. Slept pretty crappy the last two nights, but that happens.

Jayvee

I actually experienced this and I asked the question in a danny roddy podcast which then got asked to Ray. I cant remember the exact response but I remember Ray saying to drop the dose and start slower. I stupidly forgot and ignored that advice and a few months later took a full dose of NDT and ended up in hospital A&E with extreme subsequent adrenaline attacks. My advice would be continue on your current diet and drop the dose and work up over the dose over a few months. As a side note, I later did tests and my Thyroid antibodies were elevated, this isnt something that is tested often but I think can be useful to do in hypothyroid states.

Jennifer

I haven't measured temperatures in the last few days because of laziness a lot to do. But things have pretty much normalized. Slept pretty crappy the last two nights, but that happens.

I’m sorry to hear about the crappy nights, but I’m glad that things have normalized.

I actually experienced this and I asked the question in a danny roddy podcast which then got asked to Ray. I cant remember the exact response but I remember Ray saying to drop the dose and start slower. I stupidly forgot and ignored that advice and a few months later took a full dose of NDT and ended up in hospital A&E with extreme subsequent adrenaline attacks. My advice would be continue on your current diet and drop the dose and work up over the dose over a few months. As a side note, I later did tests and my Thyroid antibodies were elevated, this isnt something that is tested often but I think can be useful to do in hypothyroid states.

Thank you for mentioning this, Jayvee. It happened to me, too. For a week, I had mistakenly been taking double my dose (long story) and ended up tanking my cholesterol, which brought on adrenaline attacks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals