Temps LOWER On NDT?

Waynish

To be frank I've lost count of how many times I've read stories of people who seemingly have no clue why they're taking thyroid or how to take thyroid intelligently. Many haven't read Broda Barnes, or Ray's articles, and start off on 2 grains right off the bat, and then they switch to a different product the week after, then wonder why it doesn't work on them...This explains the vast majority of problems encountered on this forum.

Are you saying you take thyroid because you don't think you can make it naturally? :)

Jennifer

Could I ask you what your body weight was when you were started off on 2 grains ?
I was roughly 90 lbs (41 kg) at the time. I'm normally 99 lbs (45 kg), but the adrenaline had me gasping for air 24/7 and passing out whenever I ate so I was lucky if I got 1,800 calories in a day -- I needed at least 3,000 to maintain my weight, I suspect from the catabolic hormones I was running on.

mrchibbs

Are you saying you take thyroid because you don't think you can make it naturally? :)

I take it because there are many anti-thyroid factors in our modern lives and we don't get any thyroid in our food, whereas it used to be a regular part of the diet until 30 or 40 years ago. I see it as an integral part of my diet, just like oysters or liver. And I need less than I did when I was really ill.

Last edited:

thomas00

If somebody can make it, it doesn't mean they can convert it.

Ray has stated that all it takes is stress or PUFA to block the release of the hormone from the gland. Not many people have low PUFA levels.

OP
C

connorj123

I was roughly 90 lbs (41 kg) at the time. I'm normally 99 lbs (45 kg), but the adrenaline had me gasping for air 24/7 and passing out whenever I ate so I was lucky if I got 1,800 calories in a day -- I needed at least 3,000 to maintain my weight, I suspect from the catabolic hormones I was running on.

Wow. Cant believe they started you on 2 grains while you were that small thats asking for trouble

Jennifer

Wow. Cant believe they started you on 2 grains while you were that small thats asking for trouble
Honestly, I'm not surprised given the way I was treated during that whole ordeal. She didn't even show concern that I was down almost 10 lbs because I could barely eat. I'm a tiny person so a 10 lb loss has me resembling a concentration camp victim. She was trying to match the dose to the over the counter glandular I was taking even though I had explained to her that the OTC wasn't standardized like NDT so it likely contained far less hormones, but she wasn't understanding what I meant and wanted me on the 2 grains. It worked at stopping the attacks in their tracks until they returned shortly after and I just knew my cholesterol had tanked, asked her to check it, and began titrating my dose down on my own. In the process I looked for a new doctor.

Waynish

If somebody can make it, it doesn't mean they can convert it.

Ray has stated that all it takes is stress or PUFA to block the release of the hormone from the gland. Not many people have low PUFA levels.

OK, and why increase metabolism using thyroid hormone at the same time PUFA is blocking it?

thomas00

OK, and why increase metabolism using thyroid hormone at the same time PUFA is blocking it?

Surely it's a good idea to do both (reduce PUFA while on thyroid). Obviously it takes a while to get rid of all the stored PUFA so if supplemental thyroid can relieve symptoms in the meantime...

There's a lot of people here who just go the diet route. Sometimes it's enough to get them on track, sometimes it isn't.

I don't see any reason to avoid thyroid. It seems it's fiddly for a lot of reasons, sometimes it's something in the diet stopping it, other times it's just a matter of persistence.

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States
Broda Barnes used morning temperatures because they give a better overview of the metabolism at rest. Typically, anything from getting out of bed to eating will increase temperature. The other temperatures are useful (i.e. to see if you're peaking at or above 98.6 in the afternoon), but if you manage to increase your morning temps, the rest will follow suit. And it's much less of a pain to track.

to what degree is morning temp dictated by time after waking as opposed to the hour alone? for ex. if I wake up at 5 am and take my temp at 6 (assuming I don't eat in the meantime) will it be different than if I wake up at 6 am and take my temp at 6? asking because my sleep schedule is VERY bad atm and my waking and sleeping is kind of all over the place which I realize is an issue and i'm working on it etc etc

conrad0602

The Broda book is superb - very inspiring and reads like a novel. And you come to understand you'll most likely be saving yourself the inconvenience of a heart attack in later life.

Getting to grips with Ray's position on thyroid is more tricky - it's like he uses a pollination approach to dispersing information. You go from one source to another collecting tit bits from podcasts and articles like a little bumble bee.
I love this analogy of going from podcasts to articles collecting information like a bumble bee xD

GreekDemiGod

Does the timing of taking NDT matter? I take it 3 times / day, roughly in the morning, noon, and evening, but the exact hours vary a lot.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals