Lost my period after starting NDT last January

NatachaRose

I started taking NDT back in January and I am now taking 400mg NDT daily (200mg at breakfast and 200mg after lunch, can’t do later or I’ll end up not sleeping at all). I haven’t had my period since mid January.
My TSH is now at 0,5 and my T3 at 3,40 which is only a small improvement from when I started. I eat plenty of dairy, eggs, red meat, fruits and supplement b vitamins, c vitamin, magnesium, taurine, k2, D, A. I get enough selenium from my food but probably not enough potassium even when trying it’s hard to get enough.
I have no idea if it’s because of the quality of the NDT im taking or if I need progesterone or something else…
My pulse and temperature are better but not always optimal.
Sometimes I feel too warm so maybe I’m taking too much NDT but at the same time it does not seem to be really working.
My husband started NDT at the same time but gained weight without changing anything else… he’s taking the same amount.
If you have any advice that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Momma

Hello. Why did you start taking NDT? What were your symptoms? Why did you think NDT would solve what is going on with you, if it was anything noteworthy?
Also- for reference: what is your age, general height and weight. Do you exercise? If so, what?

youngsinatra

What NDT are you taking?

400mg is a ton!
Armour thyroid 2 grains (equivalent to 100mcg T4) are typically 130mg!

OP
NatachaRose

NatachaRose

Hello. Why did you start taking NDT? What were your symptoms? Why did you think NDT would solve what is going on with you, if it was anything noteworthy?
Also- for reference: what is your age, general height and weight. Do you exercise? If so, what?
Hi! Like everyone else I started NDT because I had symptoms of hypothyroidism, it probably even started during my childhood. Why did I think NDT would solve what’s going on with me? Because it works for a lot of people and it’s one of the best way to improve thyroid functions when you’ve tried everything before (nutrition-lifestyle wise).
I am 36 yo and 5,8 but don’t know my weight, like at all, because I refuse to know but I’m definitely overweight.

OP
NatachaRose

NatachaRose

What NDT are you taking?

400mg is a ton!
Armour thyroid 2 grains (equivalent to 100mcg T4) are typically 130mg!
I’ve been taking fore front health and then life giving store and now I take both fore front and piping rock.
I don’t think 400mg is a ton, lots of people take that amount and sometimes more.

youngsinatra

I’ve heard some thyroid experts saying that if NDT does not improve symptoms, even at max.doses, then it reveals underlying adrenal exhaustion, needing extra support.

Momma

Because it works for a lot of people and it’s one of the best way to improve thyroid functions
I found this to be incorrect.

Clearly you have put two and two together. You suspect that you have amenorrhea due to your NDT supplementation. I agree with that.
As the other guy said above- you were probably already in a stressed state and adding the thyroid, and hence stopping your period, was basically your body’s way of preserving itself so to speak.

Connor888

Wow, that is a lot of Thyroid to supplement. I've been in a similar situation. When I first started out, I very slowly arrived at a dose of 5 grains over the course of probably around a year. Despite being on 5 grains at the time, my temps and symptoms had not improved, even slightly. So I decided to do a blood test, and as it turned out, on paper, I was hyperthyroid. My blood levels of thyroid were very elevated, but I couldn't even increase my pulse slightly despite been on this dose. So I basically threw in the towel. Only recently I have found out about the work of Dr Sarah Myhill, and Dr Barry Peatfield - and I am trying a different route this time around, where the adrenals are supported before & during thyroid. Basically, from my experience, just because you're taking a bunch of thyroid doesn't mean your cells are actually absorbing any of it.

OP
NatachaRose

NatachaRose

I found this to be incorrect.

Clearly you have put two and two together. You suspect that you have amenorrhea due to your NDT supplementation. I agree with that.
As the other guy said above- you were probably already in a stressed state and adding the thyroid, and hence stopping your period, was basically your body’s way of preserving itself so to speak.
I said after trying everything nutrition-lifestyle wise, please don’t take what I said and remove half of it because I never actually said that I thought taking NDT was the best way to improve thyroid functions. I tried everything food wise and good quality supplements and having better sleeping habits etc and nothing worked and that’s why after reading tons of feedbacks from people taking NDT that I decided to try it too.
My cortisol is lower now that I take NDT and I am generally less anxious than I used to be.

What is the best way to improve thyroid functions in your opinion?

OP
NatachaRose

NatachaRose

Wow, that is a lot of Thyroid to supplement. I've been in a similar situation. When I first started out, I very slowly arrived at a dose of 5 grains over the course of probably around a year. Despite being on 5 grains at the time, my temps and symptoms had not improved, even slightly. So I decided to do a blood test, and as it turned out, on paper, I was hyperthyroid. My blood levels of thyroid were very elevated, but I couldn't even increase my pulse slightly despite been on this dose. So I basically threw in the towel. Only recently I have found out about the work of Dr Sarah Myhill, and Dr Barry Peatfield - and I am trying a different route this time around, where the adrenals are supported before & during thyroid. Basically, from my experience, just because you're taking a bunch of thyroid doesn't mean your cells are actually absorbing any of it.
I am not hyperthyroid at all. I’m still hypo. My results are not those of a hyperthyroid person.
I think it can be a lot to some people but I have zero hyperthyroid symptoms and my blood panel shows that as well.
NDT is tricky because you don’t know the actual dosage you’re taking because you can’t know for sure that the thyroid you’re taking actually contains as much as it says on the bottle because each animal is different.
I’m sorry you had an awful experience.
What route are you trying this time?

OP
NatachaRose

NatachaRose

I’ve heard some thyroid experts saying that if NDT does not improve symptoms, even at max.doses, then it reveals underlying adrenal exhaustion, needing extra support.
Yes I’ve read that too and tried to improve my adrenals but no improvement so far unfortunately. It sucks.

Connor888

I am not hyperthyroid at all. I’m still hypo. My results are not those of a hyperthyroid person.
I think it can be a lot to some people but I have zero hyperthyroid symptoms and my blood panel shows that as well.
NDT is tricky because you don’t know the actual dosage you’re taking because you can’t know for sure that the thyroid you’re taking actually contains as much as it says on the bottle because each animal is different.
I’m sorry you had an awful experience.
What route are you trying this time?
I wasn't hyper, that's the point. I was taking a lot just like you, and the blood test confirmed that, but unfortunately my body was not using it. I am supporting my adrenals first this time around, like how Sarah Myhill recommends.

OP
NatachaRose

NatachaRose

I wasn't hyper, that's the point. I was taking a lot just like you, and the blood test confirmed that, but unfortunately my body was not using it. I am supporting my adrenals first this time around, like how Sarah Myhill recommends.
What does she recommends?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals