Thyroid Hormone Resistance

Steve

Does anyone have any new input on this thyroid hormone resistance?
I get absolutely zero effect on my temp/pulse from up to 3 grains of NDT. Driving me crazy!
I've stopped the NDT for now, but I need to do something as I'm obviously hypo.
My temp will usually rise throughout the day peaking about 3pm; then it starts going back down.
Waking is 97.1 temp, 54 pulse...................no matter what I do. It won't budge.

Steve

I was thinking about trying T3, but my NDT has T3 in it & it had absolutely no effect (except on my labs).
I tried spreading it thru the day & taking it all at once. With & without food. No effect!

jitsmonkey

there are more NDT supplements that don't work at all than those that do.
Tyronene will give you a place to begin to see how you respond to actual active thyroid hormone
and then you can combine it w T4 either by finding an NDT that works or using Tyromix with it.

It is worth noting that there are a host of reasons you may be unresponsive to thyroid
all of them and then some are addressed already on the forum. But purely from a "my NDT isn't working at all perspective".... its more often than not a problem with supp itself. Tyronene is a place to start.

Pointless

I have this problem too. I believe it's a real issue with a lot of people. Taking NDT sublingually seems to help maybe my gut doesn't work right.

Pointless

I have this problem too. I believe it's a real issue with a lot of people. Taking NDT sublingually seems to help maybe my gut doesn't work right.

After testing some more, I think that sublingual is definitely the answer for me. I use Thiroyd which dissolves in the mouth and is meant to be taken sublingually. 3 subl. seems to be more powerful at raising my temps than 6 orally + 50 mcg Cynomel. Also, topical thyroid in DMSO has no effect on me, either. And it's not a T3 elimination issue, because I feel that's what people are experiencing when they take lots of T3 and feel great for 1/2 a day and then crash into hypothyroidism again. T3 orally or topically has little if any effect on me.

Sexypizza

Has anyone figured a way around this? I'm suffering from the same thing and it's really frustrating. T3 and T4 will not increase me temp or pulse despite my blood tests showing that I'm hyperthyroid. My hands and feet are freezing most of the time and my memory is really ***t.

Steve

I gave up on it for now. Might try again one of these days. Never could figure out why it had no effect (other than on my labs).

HDD

Has anyone figured a way around this? I'm suffering from the same thing and it's really frustrating. T3 and T4 will not increase me temp or pulse despite my blood tests showing that I'm hyperthyroid. My hands and feet are freezing most of the time and my memory is really ***t.

“Since its effects on the mitochondria are similar to those of thyroid (T3), using both of them might improve brain energy production more than just thyroid. (By activating T3, aspirin can sometimes increase the temperature and pulse rate.) Magnesium, niacinamide, and other nerve protective substances work together.”

Aspirin, brain, and cancer

Sexypizza

I gave up on it for now. Might try again one of these days. Never could figure out why it had no effect (other than on my labs).

Are you only suffering from Hypothyroidism or are there other things you have?

I have hypothyroidism and PFS and im wondering if PFS is the cause of the problem. Although I found several people who recovered from PFS taking thyroid I seem to be unfortunate enough not to recover.

Have you tried taking T3 as an eye drop? In his article

"Aging Eyes, Infant Eyes, and Excitable Tissues," Dr. Peat mentions that "eye-drops containing T3 might be a way to restore metabolic activity more quickly" compared to oral thyroid supplementation.

Im thinking of trying this

Sexypizza

“Since its effects on the mitochondria are similar to those of thyroid (T3), using both of them might improve brain energy production more than just thyroid. (By activating T3, aspirin can sometimes increase the temperature and pulse rate.) Magnesium, niacinamide, and other nerve protective substances work together.”

Aspirin, brain, and cancer

I just started using aspirin a few days ago. I'm up to 400mg a day now and plan to keep increasing it to 1000.

I first thought that maybe the problem was due to free fatty acids inhibiting the thyroid hormones but after trying sugar, niacinamide, vitamin e, and aspirin and experiencing no increased sensitivity to thyroid, I'm thinking that's not really the real issue. although I plan to get a blood test to confirm that.

My guess now is that the resistance probably has something to do with liver enzymes.

I've noticed that if I take one single big dose of T4 a day like 50mcg. Within a few days, I start getting weird symptoms like losing hair at random places throughout my body. Taking huge single doses like that, according to peat, raises liver enzymes that deactivate the hormone. if I break down the T4 into smaller pieces those weird symptoms go away. My pulse and temperature never improve though. I'm wondering if that too is related to the liver enzymes. maybe my liver blocks all thyroid hormone regardless of the size of the dose or something idk.

HDD

@Sexypizza

Have you tried t3? Coffee plus aspirin? Or caffeine, aspirin, niacinamude (thyroid hormone surrogate) together?

johnsmith

I just started using aspirin a few days ago. I'm up to 400mg a day now and plan to keep increasing it to 1000.

I first thought that maybe the problem was due to free fatty acids inhibiting the thyroid hormones but after trying sugar, niacinamide, vitamin e, and aspirin and experiencing no increased sensitivity to thyroid, I'm thinking that's not really the real issue. although I plan to get a blood test to confirm that.

My guess now is that the resistance probably has something to do with liver enzymes.

I've noticed that if I take one single big dose of T4 a day like 50mcg. Within a few days, I start getting weird symptoms like losing hair at random places throughout my body. Taking huge single doses like that, according to peat, raises liver enzymes that deactivate the hormone. if I break down the T4 into smaller pieces those weird symptoms go away. My pulse and temperature never improve though. I'm wondering if that too is related to the liver enzymes. maybe my liver blocks all thyroid hormone regardless of the size of the dose or something idk.

I would go real easy on the T4, especially if your just starting. Your supposed to start with very low dose and slowly increase over the time of weeks and months. If you started with 50mg t4, that might be your problem. If I was you, I would put t4 to the side for now, and just tamper with t3. What brand do you use for your t3 and t4? I would recommend trying 1/16th of a 25mg Cytomel tablet, after a while try 1/8th and don't go over that dose within an hour. Also, try what @HDD said.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals