This Is the OJ Concentrate I've Been Able to Procure. Is It Even Healthy?

marko9437

Where I live I have access to just one orange juice concentrate. But reading the ingredients list I'm wondering if it's even healthy. Instead of being 100% concentrate it also contains:

- added sugar
- citric acid
- pectin
- etc

So would I be doing more harm than good with this, or is this still good (ie better than no OJ)?

P_20210512_061817.jpg

Nemo

Where I live I have access to just one orange juice concentrate. But reading the ingredients list I'm wondering if it's even healthy.

Do you have access to better local fruits and juices, Marko?

OP
M

marko9437

Do you have access to better local fruits and juices, Marko?
In the Philippines? Juices not so much, fruits sure... year-round mandarins & tangerines, watermelons, yellow mangos...

L

Lord Cola

Where I live I have access to just one orange juice concentrate. But reading the ingredients list I'm wondering if it's even healthy. Instead of being 100% concentrate it also contains:

- added sugar
- citric acid
- pectin
- etc

So would I be doing more harm than good with this, or is this still good (ie better than no OJ)?

View attachment 23421
I try to avoid citric acid and pectin as they cause me digestion problems. The other additives in the picture look bad too. Orange juice from concentrate that is sold in supermarkets might use better quality concentrate as source with less additives. You might be able to track down the supplier of the source and find out if they can sell you unadulterated concentrate.

Also if good quality fruit is available, why not juice yourself and strain the fiber?

qminati

I'm stuck without quality orange juice as well, I was drinking the kind that doesn't separate and after a few days I feel like it was doing more harm than good, I was feeling very "off" and realized it had to be the OJ and the fluoridated salt I was adding.

I ended up getting a bunch of raw honey and taking spoonfuls chased with milk instead and just have been using that and my temps have been going up nicely with it. OJ is not the only game in town. Just my opinion that no OJ is better than bad OJ, i wouldn't put any of that stuff in my body.

OP
M

marko9437

I ended up getting a bunch of raw honey and taking spoonfuls chased with milk instead and just have been using that and my temps have been going up nicely with it. OJ is not the only game in town. Just my opinion that no OJ is better than bad OJ, i wouldn't put any of that stuff in my body.

What kind of honey? I guess with honey + milk you wouldn't be getting naringenin, but I'm not really sure on why we OJ, is it for the naringenin or something else.

qminati

What kind of honey? I guess with honey + milk you wouldn't be getting naringenin, but I'm not really sure on why we OJ, is it for the naringenin or something else.
Just raw honey that doesn't have any other ingredients added to it. As far as I know the naringenin is a benefit of OJ but honey has benefits as well. You can always buy oranges and make your own OJ. I think the reason the juice is preferred because you get the benefits without irritating your gut as much. Although I do feel great after eating oranges.

L

Lord Cola

The price and hassle I guess. Why do we OJ anyway instead of just eating the fruit?
Ray Peat says the fiber in orange juice can feed bacteria and irritate the intestines. If ripe fruit is available at a reasonable price, I feel it would be worth it to use that over possibly hurting your digestion and health by eating products with lots of additives in them.

OP
M

marko9437

Ray Peat says the fiber in orange juice can feed bacteria and irritate the intestines.

But on the other hand they're a good source of calcium:

I'm a little confused. Some want to eat even the peel, others don't even want the meat.

To me there's something extremist-sounding to not wanting even fruit meat.

equipoise

If you can tolerate it, then go ahead and eat whole oranges. I do it. I like to eat them and juice them. I find them much more satiating when eaten whole.

Please opt for eating fruit instead of drinking commercial, store bought OJ. The orange juice as shown on the picture you've shared with us, is of subpar quality.
Watermelons and mangos are great fruit, eat them daily. Mandarines aswell.

Just eating ripe, sweet fruit and having 2L of skimmed milk a day helps a lot. Throw in some liver weekly, and some oysters and you've got yourself covered.

Basically the whole thing with nutrition is you pick few food items that you react to good.

rei

That should not even be called orange juice, as it contains more sugar than orange concentrate. And many of the additives and preservatives are bad as well.

P

Peatness

I would bin it. Silicon dioxide, guar gums etc. dr peat has warned about these additives.

OP
M

marko9437

Cause most of us don't live in the tropics, and thus are limited in what we can afford.
Good point. Actually here the OJ is the expensive one. $8 for 840ml of concentrate or almost $2 for 1l of reconstituted OJ.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals