Orange Juice

cliff

concentrate can be ok if tolerated

Birdie

Sorry, I should fix that pm.

I use a Bosch juicer that rotates. This is easier for me. I wouldn't be able to use the push down handle type but it sure looks impressive. My juicer has a rough strainer. But there is still a lot of pulp so I put it through a fine gauge metal strainer. I use a spoon to push it through but this part is hard for me bio-mechanicaly. I've got Fibromyalgia & Post Polio Syn and my shoulder is effected.

Sooo. I am only juicing part of my oj, as you might guess. I've raised it from 2 oranges to 3!! I make oj jello with Costco's bottled oj which my husband brings home. I am not enjoying it... That's where it is for now oj wise at the Birdie household.

I see a motorized juicer in my future. :)

Kemby

I have a masticating juicer. I assume if I was the orange I can just throw it in whole (Skin and all) and strain the juice on the other side?

OP
pete

pete

Orange peel? That's nasty.

The masticating juicer extracts 20% more juice, so the pulp you get is very dry.

nwo2012

MartinBrown said:
I have a masticating juicer. I assume if I was the orange I can just throw it in whole (Skin and all) and strain the juice on the other side?

The peel is very high in aromatic oils which are rather inflammatory so you best peel them first.

pete said:
Pro Commerical Manual Orange Citrus Juicer
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZJO7JI/?tag=rapefo-20

Great price indeed.

Birdie said:
Sorry, I should fix that pm.

I use a Bosch juicer that rotates. This is easier for me. I wouldn't be able to use the push down handle type but it sure looks impressive. My juicer has a rough strainer. But there is still a lot of pulp so I put it through a fine gauge metal strainer. I use a spoon to push it through but this part is hard for me bio-mechanicaly. I've got Fibromyalgia & Post Polio Syn and my shoulder is effected.

Sooo. I am only juicing part of my oj, as you might guess. I've raised it from 2 oranges to 3!! I make oj jello with Costco's bottled oj which my husband brings home. I am not enjoying it... That's where it is for now oj wise at the Birdie household.

I see a motorized juicer in my future. :)

How the Fibromyalgia doing with the Peatarianism? I would think that protest-e and thyroid would show very positive effects?

nwo2012

This was from Ray.

The presence of antibodies to one's own tissues just means that the tissues are under stress, and the antibodies are part of a process of debris removal related to repair. Hypothyroidism is a common cause of generalized myopathy, and the lack of thyroid tends to cause a low ratio of progesterone to estrogen; estrogen increases the production of antibodies. Vitamin D, calcium, thyroid, and progesterone can remedy the myopathies.

OP
pete

pete

Frozen concentrated orange juice is similar in taste to the "not from concentrate" juice, nothing like real fresh orange juice.

Companies are surely adding back the flavors lost during evaporation, but doubt is fresh juice.

The brand with the least ingredients (plus unlisted ones) says: "may contain citric acid".

RP said:
... the EPA was having complaints from insect infestation and such from the mountains of pulp waste from the orange juice industry and they told the industry to do something with their horrendous quantities of pulp, and by using microbial enzymes they found they coud make it water soluble and have creamy orange juice. Pulpy fibrous orange juice. But it happens to be a chemical that would never occur in the natural fruit, and it has very unpredictable health results in the intestine beacuse its something people would never have been exposed to naturally.

Birdie

Minute Maid pulp free oj concentrate says it contains oj concentrate from the usa, brazil and costa rica. No added sweeteners or preservatives. It's the only one I've found without citric acid. I only use it occasionally. It seems to be the best frozen in my area.

Birdie

I'm using the Minute Maid concentrate more often now. I keep some Simply Orange available as backup.

Has anybody mentioned the orange trees that are dying in Florida. Whole groves are infected. The thing is widespread and we'll be getting far less oj from Florida.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yes that fungus was mentioned somewhere around here. Bummer. :(

Birdie

Charlie said:
Yes, it was me. I posted the news article.

burtlancast

If one is suffering from a disease, i'm not sure concentrated commercial OJ can do any good, compared to the real thing.

You are what you eat: drinking preserved OJ with added chemicals, squeezed more than a year ago, cannot possibly have health benefits.

When one is in good health, a little concentrated OJ shouldn't be cause for trouble though.

bradley

The fungus seems to only be affecting the mono-crop orchards. Wild trees and ones planted along with other crops in a more permaculture style seem to be ok because of increased competition due to the biodiversity.

Birdie said:
Charlie said:
Yes, it was me. I posted the news article.

Birdie

That sounds like it could be the case, Bradley. But I drink oj from the big companies. Most of us can't find or if we do find, then, cannot afford the very best. I'm not sure that it will be contained and not spread to the non-monoculture orchards though... If you read more, let us know. I haven't seen anything lately.

SamYo123

What OJ people buyin in the uk?

Assuming if people avoid pulp, you dont eat actual whole oranges/satusmas fruits?

Herbie

What OJ people buyin in the uk?

Assuming if people avoid pulp, you dont eat actual whole oranges/satusmas fruits?
I buy the Sainsbury’s brand smooth one which is from concentrate for 95p. They are pretty sweet atm.

I’ve tried all the fresh ones, they are fine but sometimes sour and costly.

I’m Australian, we have our own citrus growing regions and found all oranges in the UK to be awful all times of the year. I used to make my own juice with a cold press juicer back home.

Peatress

The quality of the orange juice in the supermarket here is getting worse by the day. I think I may ditch store bought juice and juice my own or eat the fruit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals