Replacing Water With Fruit Juice (and More)

Bluebell

I'm surprised that is considered a fast metabolism ... 6'1, 155 and 3k calories a day. I'm female 5'6" and run on 2500 and I thought I was about average

YuraCZ

tara said:
1. Many starchy foods (eg bread, rice, potatoes) spike blood glucose and insulin demand more than most sugar sources (eg fruit, honey, milk). Ie starches and other glucose-heavy carbs often have greater glycemic effect than corresponding quantities of sugars ie sucrose/glucose + fructose/lactose).

I don't get this starch high GI thing. Everybody keep repeating this including Peat again and again. :roll:
Who the hell eats plain rice, or plain bread, or plain potatoes? I was on classic bodybuilding diet rice/meat, potatoes/meat ... 6 times a day for many years and I never had any insulin spikes or low blood sugar crash.. If you eat starchy carbs with proteins and especially with fats. Then GI of these starches doesn't mean nothing. My all time favourite breakfast is Japan style - white rice, natto and eggs+butter. This meal keep my blood sugar stable for 3-4 hours no problem.. :wink:

Brian

YuraCZ said:
I don't get this starch high GI thing. Everybody keep repeating this including Peat again and again. :roll:
Who the hell eats plain rice, or plain bread, or plain potatoes? I was on classic bodybuilding diet rice/meat, potatoes/meat ... 6 times a day for many years and I never had any insulin spikes or low blood sugar crash.. If you eat starchy carbs with proteins. My all time favourite breakfast is Japan style - white rice, natto and eggs+butter. This meal keep my blood sugar stable for 3-4 hours no problem.. :wink:

Bodybuilders are a different context. In my view insulinogenic foods are probably the ideal for most intense training methods.

YuraCZ

well everyone should "bodybuild" in some extent. If you eat carbs all day long and then you don't use your muscles. I think it is way to hell..

tara

YuraCZ said:
tara said:
1. Many starchy foods (eg bread, rice, potatoes) spike blood glucose and insulin demand more than most sugar sources (eg fruit, honey, milk). Ie starches and other glucose-heavy carbs often have greater glycemic effect than corresponding quantities of sugars ie sucrose/glucose + fructose/lactose).

Who the hell eats plain rice, or plain bread, or plain potatoes? I was on classic bodybuilding diet rice/meat, potatoes/meat ... 6 times a day for many years and I never had any insulin spikes or low blood sugar crash.. If you eat starchy carbs with proteins and especially with fats. Then GI of these starches doesn't mean nothing. My all time favourite breakfast is Japan style - white rice, natto and eggs+butter. This meal keep my blood sugar stable for 3-4 hours no problem.. :wink:

I am not arguing against eating starchy foods, esp. if they work well for you. Peat does suggest that if you are eating starches, it is also good to eat some saturated fat and protein with them, as you apparently do.
I was responding to the OP's concern that sugars would cause problematically blood sugar issues, by referring to what Peat says about starches being able to do this just as much or maybe more. I would expect whether it is a problem or not to depend on the state of the person. Someone with really good health, metabolism, liver and glycogen storage function may be able to handle to be a lot of either with little trouble.

I don't think it is only Peat who considers some starchy foods to be able to raise blood glucose higher than many sweet foods - I have seen other GI charts that say this too.

If you read around on this forum, there are people who have tried various versions of low fat/high starch for a while. I gather it's fairly common amongst body builders generally too.

If you can run 3-4 hours between meals that says something about your state. It doesn't mean the same will work for everybody. You are probably in good health. A lot of people who land here are not.

YuraCZ

tara said:
I am not arguing against eating starchy foods, esp. if they work well for you. Peat does suggest that if you are eating starches, it is also good to eat some saturated fat and protein with them, as you apparently do.
I was responding to the OP's concern that sugars would cause problematically blood sugar issues, by referring to what Peat says about starches being able to do this just as much or maybe more. I would expect whether it is a problem or not to depend on the state of the person. Someone with really good health, metabolism, liver and glycogen storage function may be able to handle to be a lot of either with little trouble.

I don't think it is only Peat who considers some starchy foods to be able to raise blood glucose higher than many sweet foods - I have seen other GI charts that say this too.

If you read around on this forum, there are people who have tried various versions of low fat/high starch for a while. I gather it's fairly common amongst body builders generally too.

If you can run 3-4 hours between meals that says something about your state. It doesn't mean the same will work for everybody. You are probably in good health. A lot of people who land here are not.
No I'm not or I wasn't. But I had a lots of muscle. So plenty of glycogen available in comparison with the average person.. That's why everybody needs some functioning muscle and not be skinny fat with stored glycogen only in the liver...

tara

YuraCZ said:
No I'm not or I wasn't. But I had a lots of muscle. So plenty of glycogen available in comparison with the average person.. That's why everybody needs some functioning muscle and not be skinny fat with stored glycogen only in the liver...
Yes. Peat has encouraged this too, and it make sense to me.

stargazer1111

I know this is an old post, but I will share my experience.

I have been eating the PHD diet from Paul Jaminet for about a year that emphasizes safe starches over sugar. For years, I had reactive hypoglycemia until I realized that I wasn't eating enough protein. With enough protein, I discovered that I could eat as much starch as I wanted without getting crashes. The problem is, my digestive system is essentially destroyed at this point. I did a zero carb, starvation level diet for years without realizing what it would do to my intestines. I cannot digest starch at all. If I eat starch, my stomach blows up and it feels like a brick is just sitting in there.

So, I switched to Peat's recommendations recently. All this time I have been tracking my glucose and will share what I have observed.

If I eat only starch as my carbohydrate source, my blood sugar spikes to between 130-160 mg/dl for the first couple of hours after the meal. A meal of mixed starch and sugar results in the same type of spike.

If I only consume sugar and no starch (sugar as sucrose, lactose, or from fruit), my blood sugar goes to, at most, 95 mg/dl in that same time frame. Sometimes, my blood sugar stays totally unchanged after 50-60 grams of combined lactose and fruit/sucrose.

My hypothesis is that there may be a difference in enzyme activity between amylase and sucrase. Although sucrase's job may be simpler because it is cutting a disaccharide, amylase may have a faster rate of action. I am a biochemistry major here at the University of Michigan and have seen examples of enzymes with more complicated jobs running faster than those with simpler jobs. Combine this with the fact that fructose doesn't impact blood sugar very much, and you have a potential explanation as to why pure sugar as lactose or sucrose has a much lower GI than starch.

That being said. I have to eat more often and more calories to feel satiated doing this. I'm not sure how this will impact me long-term...

Fructose still scares me because of all the talk about it causing heart attacks and AGEs. I'm trying to ignore my programming and go against the grain by following Peat's ideas.