Unlisted ingredients in commercial orange juices (FDA not required to label)

Fllora

Another facet to the o.j. degradation situation...
Citrus growers in Florida and California have been fighting to prevent loss of all citrus to citrus greening disease (aka huanglongbing virus) and the citrus psyllid insect since 2005 and about 2008, respectively. In California this has meant widespread spraying of heavy-duty neonicotinoids and other pesticides (that kill bees) for well over a decade, with county inspectors routinely checking all trees they lay eyes on. Currently there are citrus quarantines all over the state. For nearly 15 years,we have not been able to buy young citrus trees that have not been sprayed several times with Malathion, or the latest substitute, in their pots. Some of us who plant citrus trees in CA suggest that people do not eat the fruit until second harvest, as all pesticides are most concentrated in the ovary of the tree. And the ovary is...the fruit. The idea is to leave just a few fruits on the first season - pesticide bombs - and then hope/assume the toxins have cycled through and out. I'd love to see some studies on this.

And no, the rind does not prevent toxicity inside the fruit: What’s On My Food :: Pesticides on Orange Juice

On January 12, 2021, Trump's EPA approved the use of Aldicarb, a neurotoxic pesticide linked to brain damage in young children and banned in 100 countries for use on FLA citrus. They also approved the use of two antibiotics, now in use - oxytetracycline and stretptomycin, antibiotics, banned for such use in the EU and Brazil. You Don't Want to Know What They Do to Oranges - The Organic Prepper

The Environmental Working Group published a piece recently (2021) about hormone-disrupting fungicide levels ON and found IN oranges: Tests Find Hormone-Disrupting Fungicides on Most Citrus Fruit Samples
All so pitiful and short-sighted.
~~~
I had been drinking TJ's organic no pulp o.j., currently from Mexico, but it often has a very strange taste to it, with hints of grapefruit, rotten oranges, and something hard to define that probably shouldn't be there. I just returned several cartons that were beyond acceptable and am pretty certain that there in zero quality control going on. Not sure how I'll proceed; orange season is over here.

BearWithMe

Another facet to the o.j. degradation situation...
Citrus growers in Florida and California have been fighting to prevent loss of all citrus to citrus greening disease (aka huanglongbing virus) and the citrus psyllid insect since 2005 and about 2008, respectively. In California this has meant widespread spraying of heavy-duty neonicotinoids and other pesticides (that kill bees) for well over a decade, with county inspectors routinely checking all trees they lay eyes on. Currently there are citrus quarantines all over the state. For nearly 15 years,we have not been able to buy young citrus trees that have not been sprayed several times with Malathion, or the latest substitute, in their pots. Some of us who plant citrus trees in CA suggest that people do not eat the fruit until second harvest, as all pesticides are most concentrated in the ovary of the tree. And the ovary is...the fruit. The idea is to leave just a few fruits on the first season - pesticide bombs - and then hope/assume the toxins have cycled through and out. I'd love to see some studies on this.

And no, the rind does not prevent toxicity inside the fruit: What’s On My Food :: Pesticides on Orange Juice

On January 12, 2021, Trump's EPA approved the use of Aldicarb, a neurotoxic pesticide linked to brain damage in young children and banned in 100 countries for use on FLA citrus. They also approved the use of two antibiotics, now in use - oxytetracycline and stretptomycin, antibiotics, banned for such use in the EU and Brazil. You Don't Want to Know What They Do to Oranges - The Organic Prepper

The Environmental Working Group published a piece recently (2021) about hormone-disrupting fungicide levels ON and found IN oranges: Tests Find Hormone-Disrupting Fungicides on Most Citrus Fruit Samples
All so pitiful and short-sighted.
~~~
I had been drinking TJ's organic no pulp o.j., currently from Mexico, but it often has a very strange taste to it, with hints of grapefruit, rotten oranges, and something hard to define that probably shouldn't be there. I just returned several cartons that were beyond acceptable and am pretty certain that there in zero quality control going on. Not sure how I'll proceed; orange season is over here.
California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment thinks that natural Aloe Vera, vitamin A or vitamin b12 are so toxic and dangerous they need special warning on them, yet allow such attrocity. The irony.

Do the OJ from Californian oranges have Prop 65 warning at least?

Many thanks for very informative post

Dave Clark

im curious what uncle matts flash pasteurization method is, how does it differ from like whole foods organic OJ pasteurization...

there has to be something at a whole foods or similar store which isnt ultra pasteurized? probably priced similar to maple hill. isnt delaware close to pennsylvania.
Depending where you live in Delaware, Pa. is only a short drive where you can find farmers who sell raw milk, especially the Lancaster area. I used to buy up to ten gallons of milk at a time and freeze it, so I did not have to make many trips to the farm. Freezing doesn't affect the milk in any negative way that I found, flavor and texture were the same.

livesimply

Depending where you live in Delaware, Pa. is only a short drive where you can find farmers who sell raw milk, especially the Lancaster area. I used to buy up to ten gallons of milk at a time and freeze it, so I did not have to make many trips to the farm. Freezing doesn't affect the milk in any negative way that I found, flavor and texture were the same.
Thanks! Lancaster is about a 90 min. drive for me. I'll keep it in mind.

Dr. B

lancaster is amish country right. theres farms there who will ship their milk to 'drop sites' in different states basically the entire east coast. the drop sites are usually located at someones home.
doesnt freezing denature some of the milk. what kind of milk did you get. i found that freezing doesnt much effect guernsey or dutch belt or even goat milk since those are naturally homogenized but with sheeps milk or jersey milk it makes the milk all clumpy after its frozen and thawed.

Dave Clark

lancaster is amish country right. theres farms there who will ship their milk to 'drop sites' in different states basically the entire east coast. the drop sites are usually located at someones home.
doesnt freezing denature some of the milk. what kind of milk did you get. i found that freezing doesnt much effect guernsey or dutch belt or even goat milk since those are naturally homogenized but with sheeps milk or jersey milk it makes the milk all clumpy after its frozen and thawed.
Interesting about the drop sites. I can't speak for other's experience, but I have been freezing guernsey and jersey milk for about 15 years with no problems in terms of milk taste or texture. The milk looks and taste the same as it went into the freezer, to me. Perhaps the way it was thawed caused that. Or, try using an emersion blender to homogenize it. I suppose one would just have to try it and see how it comes out. I have never read that freezing milk changes any of the nutritive value. Milk is touchy though, I know milk from different sources {cows} will last in the fridge differently, and the seasons also change the composition of the milk if the cows are grass fed. Even if the milk is not 100% pristine after freezing, it sure beats running to the farm every couple of days, at least in my opinion.

Nemo

(ray)If it separates into an orange-colored sediment and a nearly clear supernatant, it's probably natural, but even the so-called pulp-free juices now often contain the enzyme-solublized pulpy refuse.
Ray Peat Email Advice Depository
-
So I guess it can be helpful to watch if it seperates into the distinctive layers. If it doesn't it probably has stuff like the enzymes added to it

I squeezed orange juice from navel oranges the other day, enough for almost a week.

It did not separate into distinctive layers, not even in 24 hours.

It might be juice from valencia oranges that separates.

Dr. B

I squeezed orange juice from navel oranges the other day, enough for almost a week.

i think most supermarket juices are valencia? navel tends to be more sour.

Interesting about the drop sites. I can't speak for other's experience, but I have been freezing guernsey and jersey milk for about 15 years with no problems in terms of milk taste or texture. The milk looks and taste the same as it went into the freezer, to me. Perhaps the way it was thawed caused that. Or, try using an emersion blender to homogenize it. I suppose one would just have to try it and see how it comes out. I have never read that freezing milk changes any of the nutritive value. Milk is touchy though, I know milk from different sources {cows} will last in the fridge differently, and the seasons also change the composition of the milk if the cows are grass fed. Even if the milk is not 100% pristine after freezing, it sure beats running to the farm every couple of days, at least in my opinion.

the jersey and jersey/holstein mix milks have a big creamline on the top and once it gets frozen it messes the texture and taste of it. it probably should go back to normal once the milk is fully thawed and you shake it. i thought freezing anything like milk, meat, etc causes loss of nutrients but just less so than cooking/heating. at least with beef, some sites mentioned both freezing an cooking reduces nutrients. so if you freeze your meat and cook it you are losing even more nutrients than cooking fresh meat!

meatbag

I'm not sure. I am starting to have stomach issues with the frozen concentrates.
1622341281763.png

I think it looks kind of like this picture I found online

meatbag

This is navel oranges or valencia, Meatbag?
I think I’ve made OJ with both and I recall there being separation when I left it in the fridge over night

the ripeness of the fruit may be a factor but I’m not sure

L

Lord Cola

I used to juice navel oranges. They separated within hours, with the top layer becoming clear. I used a manual juice press.

Regarding commercial orange juice, I haven't come across any in years that didn't irritate my digestion. Sourness and pulp are the main causes of irritation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. B

I used to juice navel oranges. They separated within hours, with the top layer becoming clear. I used a manual juice press.

Regarding commercial orange juice, I haven't come across any in years that didn't irritate my digestion. Sourness and pulp are the main causes of irritation.
youve tried organic not from concentrate juice?

L

Lord Cola

youve tried organic not from concentrate juice?
I have tried not from concentrate juice, but not organic, as there isn't one I can get regularly where I live. Even really sweet ones, not from concentrate, irritate my digestion, inflame my sinuses and/or cause muscle pain along my spine.

Dr. B

I have tried not from concentrate juice, but not organic, as there isn't one I can get regularly where I live. Even really sweet ones, not from concentrate, irritate my digestion, inflame my sinuses and/or cause muscle pain along my spine.
what country or state? costco, whole foods, and a few other stores have organic not from concentrate, its sweeter and digests easier than others and also doesnt irritate/cause that painful sensation to the teeth to the same extent

I'm.No.One

Well this is depressing. I live in a bonafide food desert, simply orange is the top of the line here & now it's sporadically available due to the world ending and all?

Although I had scaled way back due to dangerously high potassium levels on my HTMA test I have a damn fridge full of their various juices because when it's there I buy the hell out of it.

Honestly, I think I'm gana just go back to drinking nourishing herbal Infusions,my very clean well water, teas,& fermented drinks. It's honestly really hard for me to follow Pete's dietary ideas where I live when it comes to fruit(example:haven't seen a bag of grapes for sale in months)/fruit juice.

K

Kayaker

Well this is depressing. I live in a bonafide food desert, simply orange is the top of the line here & now it's sporadically available due to the world ending and all?

Although I had scaled way back due to dangerously high potassium levels on my HTMA test I have a damn fridge full of their various juices because when it's there I buy the hell out of it.

Honestly, I think I'm gana just go back to drinking nourishing herbal Infusions,my very clean well water, teas,& fermented drinks. It's honestly really hard for me to follow Pete's dietary ideas where I live when it comes to fruit(example:haven't seen a bag of grapes for sale in months)/fruit juice.
According to Toxinless, Simply Orange probably uses flavor packs.

I planned on getting the most expensive juicer, a Norwalk, but it's now out of business.

I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Ohh. ?

It is depressing for there to not even be a bag of grapes. You should see if there are any locals who grow food. ?
Yeah there are locals who grow food (I raise my own cattle/pork/poultry) but no locals are gana have fruit beyond Apple's in the winter time here.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals