Adult Acne Is Frustrating

noqcks

Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. First off, thank you all for the helpful information you share on here. I wanted to post to get some opinions on some health issues I have. I'm trying to stop balding and prevent my acne once and for all.

Background: 26 year old male, 6'3, 192lbs. I've been peating since Oct 2019. Seen some great improvements in health! The main positive signs being stronger erections, warm extremities, and higher average heart rate (from ~60 → 75). But I have a few health problems that I'd still like to resolve.

Health History/Problems:
  • At age 19 I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. Underwent 6 months of BEACOPP chemotherapy and have since been in remission.
  • I've had acne ever since I was about 15 until now. When I was in my teenage years it congregated around my cheeks and face, but now it only exists on my forehead and sometimes on my back. It was much worse in my teenage years, but still can get quite bad today if I'm under stress. This is not a picture of me, but it looks similar to this when it gets quite bad (https://i.redd.it/mn49y6wxmfoz.jpg). I'm attempting to eliminate milk and OJ right now as I believe they're contributors. This is painful for me since I love both of these beverages :(
  • I used to have some form of IBS. My stools were runny and I would have that "need to visit bathroom immediately feeling". This has since gone away after peating and drinking a lot of bone broth frequently, but I still have this irking feeling that my gut is in some form of disrepair, likely caused by chemotherapy.
  • I was a little fat as a child and had some gynecomastia. It still exists to an extend, but most went away after puberty. I have a suspicion that somehow this symptom ties in with my Acne, but not sure how exactly.
  • I went through puberty a little later than most I think. Around 16/17. I'm sure this has something to say about the state of my hormones.
  • I've taken SSRIs for depression from age 20 - 22. A terrible decision in hindsight. I've realized that depression, anxiety, and most other mood orders are all created through issues with diet and environment. Once I started peating, my depression left.
  • I'm experiencing some hairline recession and thinning near the front of my forehead, but nowhere else. My crown is thick and fine.
  • In general, I feel quite healthy aside from balding and acne. Good cardiovascular health, good mood, not fat, good energy throughout the day.
Diet:
  • I try to eliminate PUFAs and soy wherever possible, but I will eat PUFA'nated food at a restaurant maybe once a week with friends if there are no healthier options.
  • I try to purchase organic food as much as possible, free range eggs, grass fed beef, butter, and milk.
  • Typical day of diet includes some of the following
    • Breakfast: scrambled eggs, steel cut oats, smoothie (mangoes, cherries, banana, strawberries, blueberries, collagen), maybe sourdough toast with jam (this is more rare)
    • Lunch: PUFA free soup of some kind, leftovers from the night before.
    • Dinner: haggis, beef, beef liver, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, chicken, spinach, broccoli, carrots, chicken (sometimes).
Bloodwork: This is all I have. From Jan 2020.

https://i.imgur.com/vqPlue6.png

This is what doctor said about lab results:

"The level of FSH is slightly high. Higher gonadotropin levels, with low or even normal testosterone levels, suggest that hypogonadism may be present (meaning the testes are working hard to produce enough testosterone). Causes of elevated gonadotrophin levels include side effects from chemotherapy or radiation, infection (eg mumps) and the effects of some medication (eg cimetidine). Signs of hypogonadism might include decrease libido (sexual desire) and erectile problems, decreased body mass, sparse hair growth amongst others. I suggest you have a word with your doctor about this finding if you have any concerns."

Supplements:
  • methylene blue, 2 drops of idealabs every couple days. This has helped increase my energy and boosts mood.
  • niacinamide, 150mg every other day. This has helped me concentrate and lowered anxiety. My extended family has a history of schizophrenia and anxiety.
  • vitamin D, 5,000 IU every day or so. I live in a northern climate, need to supplement diligently during the wintertime.
  • vitamin E, 13mg every day.
  • aspirin, 325mg every day.
What do you think? Would love to get rid of this acne and help my balding head, what can I improve?

PhilParma

As is the case with balding, no one seems to understand what truly causes acne. Or, the causes are so multi-factorial and individual that the issue becomes confusing. I avoided milk for years because it would make my acne explode. My latest theory about the root cause of acne is high local cholesterol. Lessen the amount of cholesterol in your skin by:
1. Getting adequate UV light. Convert cholesterol into vitamin D via UVB light. You said you live at a northern latitude. You are probably light deficient. I've been using a vitamin D lamp recently with some success (thus far.)
2. Keep thyroid hormone high. Try to get your TSH closer to 1. (Easier said than done. I have no specific recommendations about how to achieve this other than continuing to avoid PUFA.)
3. Avoid milk/dairy. This isn't necessary or even advised, but if you're really desperate to reduce acne, it could help in the short term.
4. Aspirin. Especially topical. At the very least it helps the acne heal more quickly.

Girl Heals SEVERE Acne In 6-12 Months With Diet And Lifestyle Only

OP
noqcks

noqcks

Thanks. I sometimes mix vitamin E and aspirin and then leave it on my forehead for about 10 mins. It works great to reduce the acne, but would love to get to the root of the problem.

Re: 1, what brand/kind of lamp? Like a lizard lamp?

Re: 2, what do you use to increase thyroid?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. First off, thank you all for the helpful information you share on here. I wanted to post to get some opinions on some health issues I have. I'm trying to stop balding and prevent my acne once and for all.

Background: 26 year old male, 6'3, 192lbs. I've been peating since Oct 2019. Seen some great improvements in health! The main positive signs being stronger erections, warm extremities, and higher average heart rate (from ~60 → 75). But I have a few health problems that I'd still like to resolve.

Health History/Problems:
  • At age 19 I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. Underwent 6 months of BEACOPP chemotherapy and have since been in remission.
  • I've had acne ever since I was about 15 until now. When I was in my teenage years it congregated around my cheeks and face, but now it only exists on my forehead and sometimes on my back. It was much worse in my teenage years, but still can get quite bad today if I'm under stress. This is not a picture of me, but it looks similar to this when it gets quite bad (https://i.redd.it/mn49y6wxmfoz.jpg). I'm attempting to eliminate milk and OJ right now as I believe they're contributors. This is painful for me since I love both of these beverages :(
  • I used to have some form of IBS. My stools were runny and I would have that "need to visit bathroom immediately feeling". This has since gone away after peating and drinking a lot of bone broth frequently, but I still have this irking feeling that my gut is in some form of disrepair, likely caused by chemotherapy.
  • I was a little fat as a child and had some gynecomastia. It still exists to an extend, but most went away after puberty. I have a suspicion that somehow this symptom ties in with my Acne, but not sure how exactly.
  • I went through puberty a little later than most I think. Around 16/17. I'm sure this has something to say about the state of my hormones.
  • I've taken SSRIs for depression from age 20 - 22. A terrible decision in hindsight. I've realized that depression, anxiety, and most other mood orders are all created through issues with diet and environment. Once I started peating, my depression left.
  • I'm experiencing some hairline recession and thinning near the front of my forehead, but nowhere else. My crown is thick and fine.
  • In general, I feel quite healthy aside from balding and acne. Good cardiovascular health, good mood, not fat, good energy throughout the day.
Diet:
  • I try to eliminate PUFAs and soy wherever possible, but I will eat PUFA'nated food at a restaurant maybe once a week with friends if there are no healthier options.
  • I try to purchase organic food as much as possible, free range eggs, grass fed beef, butter, and milk.
  • Typical day of diet includes some of the following
    • Breakfast: scrambled eggs, steel cut oats, smoothie (mangoes, cherries, banana, strawberries, blueberries, collagen), maybe sourdough toast with jam (this is more rare)
    • Lunch: PUFA free soup of some kind, leftovers from the night before.
    • Dinner: haggis, beef, beef liver, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, chicken, spinach, broccoli, carrots, chicken (sometimes).
Bloodwork: This is all I have. From Jan 2020.

https://i.imgur.com/vqPlue6.png

This is what doctor said about lab results:

"The level of FSH is slightly high. Higher gonadotropin levels, with low or even normal testosterone levels, suggest that hypogonadism may be present (meaning the testes are working hard to produce enough testosterone). Causes of elevated gonadotrophin levels include side effects from chemotherapy or radiation, infection (eg mumps) and the effects of some medication (eg cimetidine). Signs of hypogonadism might include decrease libido (sexual desire) and erectile problems, decreased body mass, sparse hair growth amongst others. I suggest you have a word with your doctor about this finding if you have any concerns."

Supplements:
  • methylene blue, 2 drops of idealabs every couple days. This has helped increase my energy and boosts mood.
  • niacinamide, 150mg every other day. This has helped me concentrate and lowered anxiety. My extended family has a history of schizophrenia and anxiety.
  • vitamin D, 5,000 IU every day or so. I live in a northern climate, need to supplement diligently during the wintertime.
  • vitamin E, 13mg every day.
  • aspirin, 325mg every day.
What do you think? Would love to get rid of this acne and help my balding head, what can I improve?
Do you experience indigestion, like bloating, food taking forever to digest, etc?

OP
noqcks

noqcks

Nope, no indigestion of any kind. No bloating or gastroparesis. I have a pretty healthy appetite.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Nope, no indigestion of any kind. No bloating or gastroparesis. I have a pretty healthy appetite.
Have you had any other blood work done except the FSH?

OP
noqcks

noqcks

Yeah, actually, I get blood tests drawn every year by my oncologist.

From July 2019. No hormonal blood tests, usually just CBC.

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 4.17.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 4.18.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 4.18.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 4.19.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 4.19.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 4.19.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 4.19.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 4.17.45 PM.png

PhilParma

Re: 1, what brand/kind of lamp? Like a lizard lamp?

Re: 2, what do you use to increase thyroid?

I bought a pre-owned Sperti Vitamin D lamp. Expensive, but I didn't feel like researching all of the different kinds of UV bulbs and coming up with a ghetto alternative.

I don't personally worry about my thyroid because TSH has always tested around 1.0. I just know that thryoid helps to lower cholesterol. There's probably dozens of ways to go about doing it. I say just avoid PUFA, eat carbs, get light.