Citrate safety - Citric acid in things like OJ

Dobbler

Okay so am i correct here when i say citrate and citric acid are basically the same thing? They act the same? 1 liter of OJ contains 9-17 grams of citric acid, and we know OJ is very safe and good food to have for as many liters a day as you feel like, Peat drank atleast 1 to 3. Most people here seem to say that citrate is harmful in supplements such as magnesium citrate. Yet the amount is not nearly as much as in citrus fruits and juices such as OJ. Magnenium citrate is about 100 mg magnesium / 1000 mg citrate. So if you want 800 mg of magnesium from citrate form you ingest 8000 mg of citrate, which in most cases is the same amount of drinking about 500 grams of store bought OJ. So can someone explain how this is a problem? Im not saying citrate / citric acid is healthy, but we ingest it already so much so why is it a big deal? And yes i know things like magnesium glycinate are much better choice but citrate form is readily available in most stores and its very cheap.

yerrag

There was a thread about two years ago started by haidut which is about all industrial potassium citrate being made by a fungus, aspergillus.

Because of this, I try to avoid using supplements that are likely to be using potassium citrate as a source of citrate. And processes foods that contain it.

I would rather get my citric acid from fruits such as lemon and lime.

I actually got sick after I used tetracycline and happen to be taking a solution that has industrial potassium citrate (to improve my zeta potential for better blood flow). I figure it must be due to the tetracycline causing bacteria to morph into a cell-wall deficient form, which makes it closer to being a fungus, and the potassium citrate having traces of aspergillus may have created conditions that favored the proliferation of fungus, and this made me very sick. I has high fever, cramps, and my platelet count dropped a lot, being that platelets are used in fighting off fungus.

Last edited:

redspy

....I has high fever, cramps, and my platelet count dropped a lot, being that platelets are used in fighting off fungus.
Interesting. Have you abandoned supplementing to increase Zeta potential? Potassium citrate is the key ingredient in zeta aid. I was ready to order some online to start making my own Zeta Aid mix.

GTW

Citrate metabolized to bicarbonate.
Mix citric acid with sodium and potassium bicarbonate to make fizzy Na/K citrate drink with residual CO2.
Excreted as mildly alkaline bicarbonate.
Urinary alkalizing.

yerrag

Interesting. Have you abandoned supplementing to increase Zeta potential? Potassium citrate is the key ingredient in zeta aid. I was ready to order some online to start making my own Zeta Aid mix.
I can make my own potassium/sodium citrate by mixing 16g lemon juice with 1g baking soda though.

Yeah, I should go back on it.

I'd mix that in 1 liter water and drink it throughout the day.

RealNeat

I can make my own potassium/sodium citrate by mixing 16g lemon juice with 1g baking soda though.

Yeah, I should go back on it.

I'd mix that in 1 liter water and drink it throughout the day.
The Zeta Aid Dr says to drink his mix (the concentrate diluted in 32oz water) 3x a day. why do you dirnk just one 1L of it?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals