The Long Haul

Jib

Anyone else kind of excited about the idea that PUFA take up to 4 years to clear out of the body?

I've been sticking to this diet for over a year. I'm 5'11" and went from 140 pounds to 180, and from size 32 pants to a 36 (probably a 35, but I like my pants on the looser side). For the first time in a long time I've started to just recently feel strong enough to start strength training again, have been doing bodyweight exercises at home and am slowly getting stronger.

I've experienced more calmness and mood stability than I ever have in my life. Anyway, all this and it's only been a year and a few months. I've also slipped up a lot with PUFA intake and ate a bunch of fast food for a while when I was starting out because my energy levels were so low and it literally felt impossible to go out shopping regularly and make my own meals every day. That's gotten much easier now.

So what I'm saying is...I only feel like I'm just starting with this. And I think that's kind of exciting. I can't imagine what it might be like in a few years if I stick to a low PUFA diet and my tissues get it cleared out. I also feel like I'm slowly building up energy reserves in my body by eating nutrient dense, easily digestible foods like fruit, dairy and liver, taking epsom salt baths and getting a lot of regular bright light exposure.

Anybody else inspired by the idea of being in this for the long haul? It seems like it just keeps getting better even in the face of all the trial and error and all the patience you need to stay the course.

Poppyseed13

Thanks Jibs-

Since I first embarked on this health adventure, I knew it would take years to really heal. I have just finished one year of a low-PUFA diet, and feel great---great strides in energy (although to many people it would hardly seem noticeable), sleep is much better than it has been for many years, an evening out of moods (not perfect, but satisfying)...and so I am excited about being robustly healthy for the rest of my life.

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

BingDing

I'm right there with both of you! A little over a year in and I have a lot of days now when I feel quite resilient, like I have plenty of energy to handle a normal day and still have plenty in reserve. Knowing that I have less rancid fat in my tissues is so cool. And yes I embrace the long haul aspect of it, there is nothing else that's worth doing!

Cheers, indeed,
BD

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:grouphug2

OP
Jib

Jib

I'd like to add that the first year or so of "Peating" has been a steep learning curve for me, and I think it probably is for most people.

Getting acquainted with his ideas and getting on a routine takes a while. I neglected the raw carrot for a very long time, it took me a while to get used to using salt liberally, I didn't try niacinamide until very recently, I wasn't getting anywhere near enough sleep and would go longer periods of time without eating than I should have because I wasn't being diligent enough to prepare snacks, etc.

And also the personal experimentation. I found, for example, that I can do coffee in the morning and it helps me a lot, but if I have orange juice it wipes me out (cold hands and feet, severe anxiety, spacing out, fatigue). There are so many things that we can only figure out by experimenting, and combining that with understanding Peat's ideas and there's a very steep learning curve.

So it isn't only that I think getting PUFAs mostly out of the diet and promoting energy production in the body has cumulative benefits; I think it's that we're all learning more and more as we go on and we keep doing things more effectively than we did before. Which is also very exciting.

Peat provides a framework, and that's what I like the best. I've never heard him mention squatting in the bathroom or avoiding blue light at night, for example, but I've learned from his framework how to understand my own explorations into health in a larger context, and I feel more free and confident than ever to do my own research.

aguilaroja

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/wi ... lake.shtml

'Blake took a much simpler, but more radical position, in saying that “Reason isn’t the same that it will be when we know more,” and that reason is only the ratio of things that are presently known, and not the source of new knowledge. Blake kept the idea that experience is the source of knowledge, without reducing “experience” to the “senses.”'

S.Holmes

I've been restricting pufas for 12 years after finding Dr. Peat in 2010. I bought all of his books, signed up and paid for his newsletter, and ordered many bottles of his Progest-E formula. I was in terrible shape healthwise and didnt expect to live very long. Although I disagree with him about iodine and probiotics (I take histamine degrading probugs that target the large intestine), Dr. Peat saved my life.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals