The health effects of 1 - 2 drinks daily

I know and I am healthiest of the bunch!! Well I am the newbie and maybe they are feeling me out, which am fine with. I wasn't thinking the "hard drugs" comment was aimed at me, but more aimed towards "us". I just didn't like the insult toward you guys. I don't react well either if you put Ray Peat down on this forum either. Oh it's a show ?
I’m 32 and have a history of binge drinking starting from the age 18 after entering university up untill my late 30’s. My father is a high functional alcoholic, but thankfully I’ve never been addicted to that stuff and in my experience having 1-2 drings on a regular basis is far better that binging on weekends, granted there’s no addiction component to it.

I’m 32 and have a history of binge drinking starting from the age 18 after entering university up untill my late 30’s. My father is a high functional alcoholic, but thankfully I’ve never been addicted to that stuff and in my experience having 1-2 drings on a regular basis is far better that binging on weekends, granted there’s no addiction component to it.
I have never been a binge drinker either. Two to three "weak" drinks, twice a week is my sweet spot, not for any other reason than I get bored of it with any more. I think because my dad was a bar fly, and still is, though now he doesn't drink and goes for the karaoke, he was allowing my brother and I to drink in our teens. As crappy as that sounds, there was no novelty for me in it when my friends wanted to start drinking at an older age so I found more exciting things for is to do. I don't want to come off as judgemetal, but I hate being around drunk people. Thay is why I like high end tequila, it doesn't bring out the stupid. I am so happy that you got away from that disastrous path you were on Sul. I think anytime you recognize an addiction it is time to switch gears, whether it is video games, gluttony or doc pills. ?

I have never been a binge drinker either. Two to three "weak" drinks, twice a week is my sweet spot, not for any other reason than I get bored of it with any more. I think because my dad was a bar fly, and still is, though now he doesn't drink and goes for the karaoke, he was allowing my brother and I to drink in our teens. As crappy as that sounds, there was no novelty for me in it when my friends wanted to start drinking at an older age so I found more exciting things for is to do. I don't want to come off as judgemetal, but I hate being around drunk people. Thay is why I like high end tequila, it doesn't bring out the stupid. I am so happy that you got away from that disastrous path you were on Sul. I think anytime you recognize an addiction it is time to switch gears, whether it is video games, gluttony or doc pills. ?
Thx R&R ? I’m more o a whiskey man and love me some good bourbon in the evening time :), however I also enjoyed tequila during my party days, although the cheap commercial stuff. Will give it another time with the higher quality stuff ?

Mauritio

Peat has repeatedly talked about how tiny dosages of alcohol (1/2 teaspoon) have a strong antioxidant effect ! And are great for lipofuscin/age pigment.

Has anybody tried ingesting 1/2 teaspoon of alcohol every day for generell health purposes ?
A teaspoon of gin ,vodka or tequila would come down to about the same amount ...

I'm hesitant to drinking every night ,just gives me a weird feeling since my mum was /is an alcoholic but 1 teaspoon , this I could accept ?

Peat has repeatedly talked about how tiny dosages of alcohol (1/2 teaspoon) have a strong antioxidant effect ! And are great for lipofuscin/age pigment.

Has anybody tried ingesting 1/2 teaspoon of alcohol every day for generell health purposes ?
A teaspoon of gin ,vodka or tequila would come down to about the same amount ...

I'm hesitant to drinking every night ,just gives me a weird feeling since my mum was /is an alcoholic but 1 teaspoon , this I could accept ?
I don't blame you for bring hesitant too, if alcoholism might be in your genetics.

Mauritio

Here are some posts by travis on the topic
I would say a little is fine,but not to overdo it. I actually have quite a bit to say on this topic as I'm writing an article about it; in a few weeks I'll have quite a bit more to say about this.

You know, I like gin best with just Topo-Chico™ mineral water. This is very simple but I actually like plain Tanqueray™, and I've made many different types of gin drinks: Martinis, Tom Collins', and French 75s are all good but for some reason I cannot drink alcohol with sugar; this leads to more drunk feeling, and could have something to with free tryptophan.

[An insulin spike will increase the blood tryptophan ratio by lowering all amino acids besides, pulling them into peripheral cells for growth. Tryptophan, however, stays bound to albumin on account of its seven high-affinity tryptophan-binding domains. This is Fernstom's explanation for the effect so it would seem reliable, but should it happen any way besides it happens nonetheless.]

I just found a different brand of apple cider vinegar a few days ago but I don't like it as much as Bragg's™. It is called Langer Farms™ and I admit that I had bought it based essentially on the bottle shape and label, which I had liked better. However, this one doesn't taste as good and next time I'll go with Bragg's™—despite its quaint-looking label that makes you feel old just by looking at it (though not as old as looking at a tube of Quaker Oats™, which mentally ages you 30 years by just looking at it).

This is true. Dorthy Parker considered three martini's would put her in a completely acceptable position, yet most would be quite inebriated by so much gin. Liver function matters a good deal, as does the amount of tryptophan consumed. The ingestion of ethanol shifts tryptophan metabolism away from 5-hydroxyindolacetic acid and towards that of tryptophol, a more problematic indole that can later become 5-methoxytryptophol. This is a pineal hormone that regulates reproduction, body temperature, and bone growth. Five-methoxytryptophol is even more lipophilic than melatonin and can accumulate over time, making chronic consumption potentially problematic.

London Dry Gin is different from domestic gin because English and American pines produce different α-pinene enantiomers; these are mirror-images of each-other and have distinct different pharmacological properties. They also have different IC₅₀'s against microbial species, although cinnamaldehyde and citral are always more powerful than either one.

BodhiBlues

I'm around your age and I used to do exactly the same thing, are you British by any chance? We have a culture of it! A normal Friday for me used to involve going straight to the pub after work at 4.30pm and not getting home until 4am. Not healthy and not sustainable!

I managed to get out of the habit after an intense LSD trip, it made me see alcohol differently and I gave it up completely for a year. Now, I do still drink, but no-where near as much as I used to and getting drunk is a rare thing for me.

I'm around your age and I used to do exactly the same thing, are you British by any chance? We have a culture of it! A normal Friday for me used to involve going straight to the pub after work at 4.30pm and not getting home until 4am. Not healthy and not sustainable!

I managed to get out of the habit after an intense LSD trip, it made me see alcohol differently and I gave it up completely for a year. Now, I do still drink, but no-where near as much as I used to and getting drunk is a rare thing for me.
I’m half Ukrainian/Hungarian, so booze runs in my veins probably ??and 1/10 of the population are alcoholics here (Hungary). Almost the same chuck of the population is addicted to benzodiazepins (Hungary). I did the acid thing and it helped me a lot as well. If I drink more than two drinks And more than that makes me feel awful, where’s in the past it made me feel eneregized and happy without any hangovers. I have maybe 2-3 drinks every two weeks.

BodhiBlues

I’m half Ukrainian/Hungarian, so booze runs in my veins probably ??and 1/10 of the population are alcoholics here (Hungary). Almost the same chuck of the population is addicted to benzodiazepins (Hungary). I did the acid thing and it helped me a lot as well. If I drink more than two drinks And more than that makes me feel awful, where’s in the past it made me feel eneregized and happy without any hangovers. I have maybe 2-3 drinks every two weeks.

Northern & Eastern European cultures do seem to have the most binge drinking! I can't drink a lot anymore either, 3 - 5 pints of beer used to be my "just getting started" amount, but now that is pretty much the maximum that I can tolerate. I'm happy about that though, I would not want to go back to blacking out, not remembering how I got home and waking up with tremors!

It is strange how society sees having a few drinks a day as bad, but getting extremely drunk on Friday & Saturday night as basically fine.

Jerkboy

If I drink I will drink the whole bottle. After that I do not drink for months.

Alcohol is fermented sugar. That is it. It depletes B1 so perhaps supplement with that. But all sugar, especially refined will deplete B1.

It also converts to acetic acid I think which is a fuel for the body.

The only bad thing is that the conversion of the toxic byproducts (aldehydes, etc.) will put pressure on your bodys B vitamins and minerals. If you are already sick, drinking a lot of alcohol will make it worse unless you have something like Vitamin A toxicity which alcohol helps with. So it really depends on the person.

OP
J

Jack Earth

If I drink I will drink the whole bottle. After that I do not drink for months.

Alcohol is fermented sugar. That is it. It depletes B1 so perhaps supplement with that. But all sugar, especially refined will deplete B1.

It also converts to acetic acid I think which is a fuel for the body.

The only bad thing is that the conversion of the toxic byproducts (aldehydes, etc.) will put pressure on your bodys B vitamins and minerals. If you are already sick, drinking a lot of alcohol will make it worse unless you have something like Vitamin A toxicity which alcohol helps with. So it really depends on the person.

I've stopped the 1 - 2 drinks daily as I've accomplished my goal which was to completely quit weed.
Now I alternate between 1 or 2 drinks some night, zero drinks some days and I recently had a 4 drink night where I was hammered. Each has it own benefits for me.

I've stopped the 1 - 2 drinks daily as I've accomplished my goal which was to completely quit weed.
Now I alternate between 1 or 2 drinks some night, zero drinks some days and I recently had a 4 drink night where I was hammered. Each has it own benefits for me.
I am glad you have made it occasional. I like to have a couple of drink sometimes, and I like my no drink nights too. I was 7 days between having a drink this week. Sometimes it just doesn't sound good, especially after drinking a lot of milk.

OP
J

Jack Earth

I am glad you have made it occasional. I like to have a couple of drink sometimes, and I like my no drink nights too. I was 7 days between having a drink this week. Sometimes it just doesn't sound good, especially after drinking a lot of milk.
The main goal for me was never the alcohol. The alcohol was a tool I used to quit weed. Now that I've totally quit and no longer need weed I can be completely sober with no problem.
I've finally figured out what works best for me.
Its 1 or 2 drinks evey few days, completely sober a few days and occasionally get hammered :)

Thanks for all your feedback you and chibbs particularly inspired me to quit weed and that's been a great change in my life.

The main goal for me was never the alcohol. The alcohol was a tool I used to quit weed. Now that I've totally quit and no longer need weed I can be completely sober with no problem.
I've finally figured out what works best for me.
Its 1 or 2 drinks evey few days, completely sober a few days and occasionally get hammered :)

Thanks for all your feedback you and chibbs particularly inspired me to quit weed and that's been a great change in my life.
It was a clever move for sure! I know you had your time with weed, but it sounded more like a bad habit than an addiction. I am happy to have been a support, but it was all you Jack :)

OP
J

Jack Earth

It was a clever move for sure! I know you had your time with weed, but it sounded more like a bad habit than an addiction. I am happy to have been a support, but it was all you Jack :)
Thank you, it was a daily habit for a decade so any help I received during this time is appreciated

PeskyPeater

As usual, there is a wide difference between ''alcoholism'' and drinking a daily cocktail. One cocktail will not likely affect intestinal permeability to a great degree. Moreover, cocktails usually contain fructose, which is protective. If you drink your cocktail with a snack contained saturated fat, even less chances of adverse effects.

In small daily amounts, this is where alcohol's protective effects are felt. I think 1-2oz of tequila, gin or any clear liquor has all the benefits without the adverse effects.
Oh yes one standard drink alcohol increases gut permeability I have read study on it tested on rats or mice. taking half a shot would be fine, but luckily to protect gut just saturated fats can be eaten before going to drink more then half a glass.
and after drinking good protein source rich with glutamic acid helps restore gut vili, and soy sauce also cheese

for example 2% radlers are relatively oke.

I like to make a kinda bulletfroof coffee with butter in de mixer and add some vodka, the caffeine helps breaking down alcohol and reduce toxic metabolites.

cheers

Oh yes one standard drink alcohol increases gut permeability I have read study on it tested on rats or mice. taking half a shot would be fine, but luckily to protect gut just saturated fats can be eaten before going to drink more then half a glass.
and after drinking good protein source rich with glutamic acid helps restore gut vili, and soy sauce also cheese

I like to make a kinda bulletfroof coffee with butter in de mixer and add some vodka, the caffeine helps breaking down alcohol and reduce toxic metabolites.

cheers
That is such an interesting concept and drink idea Pesky!

PeskyPeater

yeah, another great drink is to make your own kuknut rum, take plain white rum and add some flakes of dried coconut and mix it. I used to drink kuknutrum little too much I admit

Da

cheers
Dave Asprey, is that you? ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals