The delusion of "good bacteria"

yerrag

I have really bad gut issues and had huge tape worm infestation, Im trying all sorts snd have had huge improvement but cant get on top of bad gut bacteria, well its in large intestine. Im trying Turpentine and have knocked out more big tape worms & the herx is full on.
Im thinking I may have to resort to anti biotic too.
Is Ray saying in his info some fibre like psylium is ok when needed? I dont do any grains. Just protein and fruits & carrot salad.
Feel like I need more bulk to get better bowel motions.
Am waiting on Cascara to come from USA as well.
What did Ray say about fibre? Did he specifically say psyllium? Ray has been against fiber from the start, but in the last 2 years he has come out in favor of insoluble fiber, but not soluble fiber. The insoluble fibers removes endotoxins, and so they're helpful. The insoluble fiber doesn't promote bacteria to grow. That's the job of soluble fibers.

If you're relying on soluble fibers for bowel movement, then you're relying on serotonin for it. You should instead be relying on having adequate magnesium stores as well as good energy production (from good sugar metabolism) to power the automatic movement of intestinal muscles for peristalsis. That should be the driver of bowel movement, not serotonin. High serotonin affects your central nervous system. The enteric nervous system is our second brain.

If you're feeding your bacteria, how is that going to help your gut and health balanced?

p.s. I've use psyllium before, long ago when I thought of it as friend instead of foe. You have to be drinking a lot of water, as psyllium absorbs a lot of water. The feeling of bloat is terrible, but I could fool myself into thinking bloat is good, when I buy something bad thinking it is good. I'm really feeding bacteria, driving up serotonin levels, and when I move my bowels, it is a wonderful feeling. The stupid part is that I don't have a problem moving my bowels. It was for my "detox" Looking back, I was a fool. But it had to take Ray Peat to make me laugh at the silly boy inside me.

But thankfully, that was the only psyllium detox I did. I hated it so much. I'm just glad I didn't have to because I was already eating plenty of fiber, and I was already growing enough bacteria and producing enough serotonin to have regular bowel movement. I was used to the foul smell of feces I make. Now my feces don't have any smell I forget at times to flush.

Last edited:

JacquelineNZ

What did Ray say about fibre? Did he specifically say psyllium? Ray has been against fiber from the start, but in the last 2 years he has come out in favor of insoluble fiber, but not soluble fiber. The insoluble fibers removes endotoxins, and so they're helpful. The insoluble fiber doesn't promote bacteria to grow. That's the job of soluble fibers.

If you're relying on soluble fibers for bowel movement, then you're relying on serotonin for it. You should instead be relying on having adequate magnesium stores as well as good energy production (from good sugar metabolism) to power the automatic movement of intestinal muscles for peristalsis. That should be the driver of bowel movement, not serotonin. High serotonin affects your central nervous system. The enteric nervous system is our second brain.

If you're feeding your bacteria, how is that going to help your gut and health balanced?

p.s. I've use psyllium before, long ago when I thought of it as friend instead of foe. You have to be drinking a lot of water, as psyllium absorbs a lot of water. The feeling of bloat is terrible, but I could fool myself into thinking bloat is good, when I buy something bad thinking it is good. I'm really feeding bacteria, driving up serotonin levels, and when I move my bowels, it is a wonderful feeling. The stupid part is that I don't have a problem moving my bowels. It was for my "detox" Looking back, I was a fool. But it had to take Ray Peat to make me laugh at the silly boy inside me.

But thankfully, that was the only psyllium detox I did. I hated it so much. I'm just glad I didn't have to because I was already eating plenty of fiber, and I was already growing enough bacteria and producing enough serotonin to have regular bowel movement. I was used to the foul smell of feces I make. Now my feces don't have any smell I forget at times to flush.
Ok thanks, thats really helpful. Yes I have just got magnesium powder so that will help, thanks for clarification.
I heard him once say pyslium was ok if someone really needed it, or oat bran, but I know his ideal is to fix the reason why bowels arnt working properly!
So thanks for that support, I had forgotten the role that magnesium plays in this too. So if Im keeping starches very low and often not having them and not having any grains, no salads etc - what fibre do you use? Im having fruit with each meal, most meals are a protein with 2 x the amount of carb.
I forget sometimes to do daily carrot salad.
Because Ive had extreme dysbiosis and the tape worm infestation which took me 30 years to discover because each search/diagnosis indicated wrong causes of my issue, I have smelly bowel motions so so sometimes use charcoal like Georgi mentions but need ideas for the fibre (is fruit fibre enough & the carrot salad or should I be doing the well cooked greens? I hate greens, Ive done so much over the years, the juicing, the vegan....then last year carnivore to try fix gut!)..
Will increase the sugars for metabolism, plus the magnesium....ditch the pyslium which I just started.

mariantos

Ok thanks, thats really helpful. Yes I have just got magnesium powder so that will help, thanks for clarification.
I heard him once say pyslium was ok if someone really needed it, or oat bran, but I know his ideal is to fix the reason why bowels arnt working properly!
So thanks for that support, I had forgotten the role that magnesium plays in this too. So if Im keeping starches very low and often not having them and not having any grains, no salads etc - what fibre do you use? Im having fruit with each meal, most meals are a protein with 2 x the amount of carb.
Because Ive had extreme dysbiosis and the tape worm infestation which took me 30 years to discover because each search/diagnosis indicated wrong causes of my issue, I have smelly bowel motions so so sometimes use charcoal like Georgi mentions but need ideas for the fibre (is fruit fibre enough & the carrot salad or should I be doing the well cooked greens? I hate greens, Ive done so much over the years, the juicing, the vegan....then last year carnivore to try fix gut!)..
Will increase the sugars for metabolism, plus the magnesium....ditch the pyslium which I just started.
You can try dates, they are quite balanced. Insoluble fiber, good sugars, minerals and vitamins, also a little bit of protein.

yerrag

It's better to use insoluble fiber than soluble fiber, but there isn't a lot of insoluble fibers around. Cooked green leaves have plenty of cellulose, but it's hard to heat. I got used to it though, and I eat it mixed with vinegar and diced raw tomato and onions. Mixed with apple cider vinegar, it tastes even better. Carrot salad and cooked bamboo shoots are Ray Peat staples, even though they're not insoluble fibers, they're antibacterial which more than makes up for it. You can still have soluble fibers if you need more variety, in the form of fruits, as you really need the potassium and sugar and vitamin C from many fruits anyway. At least you're not going full hog on soluble fiber for the sake of good bowel movement. But have in mind that eventually you wean away from relying on fiber for bowel movement by going on a year of daily therapeutic supplementation of magnesium. I went one year of 800mg elemental magnesium. Learning my lesson, I'd just take either magnesium carbonate or mag oxide, as they don't alter the acid base balance of your body. I took mag chloride once, and it made me too acidic, and I took mag bicarbonate and it made me too alkaline. Either way, I had to urinate a lot because of it. This has repercussions, to say the least.

As for improving your metabolism, increasing sugar intake isn't the best thing to do. Improving your sugar metabolism and blood sugar regulation is. But that's another subject.

As for tape worm, I don't want to trivialize it, but it's in my opinion the least of your issues. I've had it once before when I was a kid. One day the tape worm slid out. I was shocked seeing it as I pulled something wet from my behind. It was growing inside me and it left me. That was the last I saw of it. It's still nice to know it's gone, but I didn't develop any gut issues because of it. There may still be some worm inside of me, I'll never know, and I don't want to know either. All I know gut issues is not a problem of mine. I have always had regular bowel movement. I don't often have a tummy ache, and I wished I farted less before. I ate a lot of fruit and their fiber growing up, but it was easy for me to transition to relying on magnesium for bowel movement.

Last year, I took 12 weeks of antibiotics, together with biofilm busters- intended for my blood vessels. It did nothing for my blood vessels (I have high bp), but since I took them all orally, it really did clean up my large intestines. I don't fart anymore, and I had ghost wipes, and my stools were thin instead of humongous. My gut was already okay, but okay is good as long as you haven't experienced any better. And this is better.

What are your dysbiosis issues? Does it involve the small intestines or is it largely about the colon? Are you hypothyroid or not? This has a bearing also on your gut health as with good thyroid, you make enough gastric juice, and gastric juice kills pathogens, keeping them from getting into your gut.

Hope this helps.

mariantos

It's better to use insoluble fiber than soluble fiber, but there isn't a lot of insoluble fibers around. Cooked green leaves have plenty of cellulose, but it's hard to heat. I got used to it though, and I eat it mixed with vinegar and diced raw tomato and onions. Mixed with apple cider vinegar, it tastes even better. Carrot salad and cooked bamboo shoots are Ray Peat staples, even though they're not insoluble fibers, they're antibacterial which more than makes up for it. You can still have soluble fibers if you need more variety, in the form of fruits, as you really need the potassium and sugar and vitamin C from many fruits anyway. At least you're not going full hog on soluble fiber for the sake of good bowel movement. But have in mind that eventually you wean away from relying on fiber for bowel movement by going on a year of daily therapeutic supplementation of magnesium. I went one year of 800mg elemental magnesium. Learning my lesson, I'd just take either magnesium carbonate or mag oxide, as they don't alter the acid base balance of your body. I took mag chloride once, and it made me too acidic, and I took mag bicarbonate and it made me too alkaline. Either way, I had to urinate a lot because of it. This has repercussions, to say the least.

As for improving your metabolism, increasing sugar intake isn't the best thing to do. Improving your sugar metabolism and blood sugar regulation is. But that's another subject.

As for tape worm, I don't want to trivialize it, but it's in my opinion the least of your issues. I've had it once before when I was a kid. One day the tape worm slid out. I was shocked seeing it as I pulled something wet from my behind. It was growing inside me and it left me. That was the last I saw of it. It's still nice to know it's gone, but I didn't develop any gut issues because of it. There may still be some worm inside of me, I'll never know, and I don't want to know either. All I know gut issues is not a problem of mine. I have always had regular bowel movement. I don't often have a tummy ache, and I wished I farted less before. I ate a lot of fruit and their fiber growing up, but it was easy for me to transition to relying on magnesium for bowel movement.

Last year, I took 12 weeks of antibiotics, together with biofilm busters- intended for my blood vessels. It did nothing for my blood vessels (I have high bp), but since I took them all orally, it really did clean up my large intestines. I don't fart anymore, and I had ghost wipes, and my stools were thin instead of humongous. My gut was already okay, but okay is good as long as you haven't experienced any better. And this is better.

What are your dysbiosis issues? Does it involve the small intestines or is it largely about the colon? Are you hypothyroid or not? This has a bearing also on your gut health as with good thyroid, you make enough gastric juice, and gastric juice kills pathogens, keeping them from getting into your gut.

Hope this helps.
What kind of antibiotics and biofilm busters, what kind of problem did you had or speculate that it might have been?

Thanks!

That is the Bacteria of the Colon. Any ingested probiotics rarely make it to the Colon and change any Microbiome. The upper digestive system should be sterilise. So yeah a Fecal Transplant would actually be effective, unlike fermented foods and whatnot.
I mean, this is it pretty much it. You can change the Microbiome via Fecal Transplant, the Microbiome at the Colon that is, anywhere else should be sterilise.
The sterile small intestine myth been debunked also. There's is bacteria there, just in much smaller numbers than in large intestines. Mark Pimentel, who's a leading expert on SIBO currently conducting a study where they sample the small bowels of SIBO- and healthy patients to determine their exact bacterial composition.

OP
T

TheBeard

Same exact experience with fiber.
I've used it regularly for 3 years thinking I was creatin a bulk that moved along thr dead bacteria, when really I was only causing more issues and further irritating my gut.

@JacquelineNZ if you want to move things along, drink epsom salts from times to times.

JacquelineNZ

Same exact experience with fiber.
I've used it regularly for 3 years thinking I was creatin a bulk that moved along thr dead bacteria, when really I was only causing more issues and further irritating my gut.

@JacquelineNZ if you want to move things along, drink epsom salts from times to times.
Ok thanks, yes I do that from time to time but guess its not good to do too often. I need regular motility and to get bad bacteria eliminated.

yerrag

What kind of antibiotics and biofilm busters, what kind of problem did you had or speculate that it might have been?

Thanks!
I have high blood pressure, and this is due to having low serum albumin that causes my blood volume to be low, such that my blood pressure has to be increased automatically by the body to compensate in order to ensure good distribution across the body so that my organs are well-supplied and their wastes adequately removed.

Albumin is the primary antioxidant used when neutrophils kill bacteria (or attempt to) when ROS are used in phagocyting bacteria, as spillover ROS always happen and the ROS has to be neutralized by albumin. In the process, albumin is oxidized and is then discarded. This is seen in albumin being excreted in the urine.

I have a periodontal microbiome colony residing in the blood vessels. This is a source of bacteria that the neutrophils constantly kill.

I used doxy, augmentin, and azithromycin, in separate succession over 12 weeks. I used various biofilm busters such as chitosan, lactoferrin, d-ribose, erythritol, rhubarb, together. It didn't really do much to the bacteria in my blood vessels, but it did clean up my gut. Luckily, it didn't leave me with any side effects. The worst thing that happened was diarrhea, but I took that as a good sign that the biofilms in the gut are being disrupted, as the dead bacteria would make the gut stew "dirty" and the gut walls won't absorb them, and this would make my stools watery, and this would be diarrhea.

Taking AC would quickly solve the diarrhea, and I would be back to taking the protocol.

JacquelineNZ

Hope this helps.
Wow thanks for the good info. So I do have mag oxide but havnt used it for a long time, Ive been recently using the mag bisglycinate because I read thats a really good one.
Yes Im hypo. When I had my TSH done about 9mnths ago my numbers were 3.47 which was a bit lower than the previous.
I emailed Ray after finding his info and at that time I didnt know I had a bad tapeworm infestation, just new I was so cold all the time with high estrogen, bad gut, no digestion and severe insomnia (awake all night every 2nd night). He suggested broths & milk and to get onto cynoplus - so Im on that & I use progestE now too, so Im no longer cold, so the progestE helps me sleep. Im still passing out big tape worms & other parasites so my guess is my system and digestive acids have been dwn a long time. The tape worms have been identified as over 30 years old, so I do have ulcers in colon from the damage they do with their mouth when they let go. Its been a nightmare rrally but I nearly died in October on 3 occasions and was bedridden and though killing them off in pases and doing coffee enemas & doing the Peat lifestyle, Ive come a long way.
So I will do that green cooked vege suggestion - thanks heaps. Will do bamboo shoots more as well.
I have ordered cascara from usa as well.
Hiw often do you do the cooked greens and is cellulose ok & wont feed up bacteria.

mariantos

I have high blood pressure, and this is due to having low serum albumin that causes my blood volume to be low, such that my blood pressure has to be increased automatically by the body to compensate in order to ensure good distribution across the body so that my organs are well-supplied and their wastes adequately removed.

Albumin is the primary antioxidant used when neutrophils kill bacteria (or attempt to) when ROS are used in phagocyting bacteria, as spillover ROS always happen and the ROS has to be neutralized by albumin. In the process, albumin is oxidized and is then discarded. This is seen in albumin being excreted in the urine.

I have a periodontal microbiome colony residing in the blood vessels. This is a source of bacteria that the neutrophils constantly kill.

I used doxy, augmentin, and azithromycin, in separate succession over 12 weeks. I used various biofilm busters such as chitosan, lactoferrin, d-ribose, erythritol, rhubarb, together. It didn't really do much to the bacteria in my blood vessels, but it did clean up my gut. Luckily, it didn't leave me with any side effects. The worst thing that happened was diarrhea, but I took that as a good sign that the biofilms in the gut are being disrupted, as the dead bacteria would make the gut stew "dirty" and the gut walls won't absorb them, and this would make my stools watery, and this would be diarrhea.

Taking AC would quickly solve the diarrhea, and I would be back to taking the protocol.
This colony of microbes, it is visible, I mean, can you see small balls like tiny dots under the skin of the hands for example, tied as if to the veins? Sometimes bigger, sometimes little, sometimes more prominent, sometimes in remission?

yerrag

This colony of microbes, it is visible, I mean, can you see small balls like tiny dots under the skin of the hands for example, tied as if to the veins? Sometimes bigger, sometimes little, sometimes more prominent, sometimes in remission?
No, there are no signs. The way I find out is from my CBC showing high wbc and neutrophils. WBC would jump, along with my blood pressure, when I take proteolytic enzymes. It would indicate dormant bacteria being released from the plaque as it's being lysed.

I think these bacteria lie in wait for the time my body weakens, and the plaque falls off, and then sepsis would set in. A trigger set up to recycle life.

yerrag

Wow thanks for the good info. So I do have mag oxide but havnt used it for a long time, Ive been recently using the mag bisglycinate because I read thats a really good one.
Yes Im hypo. When I had my TSH done about 9mnths ago my numbers were 3.47 which was a bit lower than the previous.
I emailed Ray after finding his info and at that time I didnt know I had a bad tapeworm infestation, just new I was so cold all the time with high estrogen, bad gut, no digestion and severe insomnia (awake all night every 2nd night). He suggested broths & milk and to get onto cynoplus - so Im on that & I use progestE now too, so Im no longer cold, so the progestE helps me sleep. Im still passing out big tape worms & other parasites so my guess is my system and digestive acids have been dwn a long time. The tape worms have been identified as over 30 years old, so I do have ulcers in colon from the damage they do with their mouth when they let go. Its been a nightmare rrally but I nearly died in October on 3 occasions and was bedridden and though killing them off in pases and doing coffee enemas & doing the Peat lifestyle, Ive come a long way.
So I will do that green cooked vege suggestion - thanks heaps. Will do bamboo shoots more as well.
I have ordered cascara from usa as well.
Hiw often do you do the cooked greens and is cellulose ok & wont feed up bacteria.
Sorry that your experience with the tape worms is a lot worse than mine. It was that bad that you nearly died 3 times!

Yeah, your thyroid working well is important also in converting cholesterol to pregnenolone and downstream steroids. So having progesterone helps, given how its production would be affected by low thyroid. Good you are taking cynoplus. I think that if you can improve your sugar metabolism to the point where you blood sugar regulation is good -with blood sugar stable and in optimal range, you would be able to consistently convert T4 to T3, and you won't have any break in your T3 supply. How are you on the aspect of blood sugar regulation?

Cascara sagrada is very helpful.

I eat my cooked green lunch and dinner. It's now my only vegetable, but I still have carrots, potatoes, bell pepper, onion, ginger, garlic, scallions. Since cooked green leaves are mushy and short on texture, I add green mango slices to make it crunchy. I think granny smith apple slices may be a good substitute for green mangoes, as that would be hard to find in NZ.

JacquelineNZ

Sorry that your experience with the tape worms is a lot worse than mine. It was that bad that you nearly died 3 times!

Yeah, your thyroid working well is important also in converting cholesterol to pregnenolone and downstream steroids. So having progesterone helps, given how its production would be affected by low thyroid. Good you are taking cynoplus. I think that if you can improve your sugar metabolism to the point where you blood sugar regulation is good -with blood sugar stable and in optimal range, you would be able to consistently convert T4 to T3, and you won't have any break in your T3 supply. How are you on the aspect of blood sugar regulation?

I eat my cooked green lunch and dinner. It's now my only vegetable, but I still have carrots, potatoes, bell pepper, onion, ginger, garlic, scallions. Since cooked green leaves are mushy and short on texture, I add green mango slices to make it crunchy. I think granny smith apple slices may be a good substitute for green mangoes, as that would be hard to find in NZ.
Thanks heaps for ideas, will do the greens. Is kale and spinach best options? Yes apples is easy to add. 2.
I dont monitor my blood sugars.
I drink OJ with gelatine to keep it stable and always eat fruit with a protein and a fat, never eating fruit alone.
Im guessing milk on its own is ok.

yerrag

Thanks heaps for ideas, will do the greens. Is kale and spinach best options? Yes apples is easy to add. 2.
I dont monitor my blood sugars.
I drink OJ with gelatine to keep it stable and always eat fruit with a protein and a fat, never eating fruit alone.
Im guessing milk on its own is ok.

The single thing I did for myself that had the most impact on my health is to know that I had a blood sugar regulation problem (no thanks to conventional medicine and their HbA1c fake ok misdirection). And the next best thing is to fix it. And the third is knowing how to monitor it (without the misdirection by doctors.

HbA1c is the participation trophy equivalent of blood sugar health. It means nothing to us, but everything to an establishment not interested in us.

If you cannot be optimal at it, you won't be optimal metabolically, and your energy availability to support your whole being would be lacking.

Energy is crucial for healing. No expensive nootropics not steroids can give you that. It can only plug some holes and at best be a patch. Patches are good only as far as it gets you bootstrapped.

Optimal blood sugar regulation is the problem people don't recognize. But ironically, people recognize it when their car runs rough because the gasoline intake is restricted or contaminated.

It's a good thing car mechanics don't use HbA1c in their diagnostic toolkit.

Dr. B

how is blood sugar regulated properly? protein intake? fats?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals