KMUD Longevity, transcribed, verified and reposted 4/12/14

Sheila

Transcribed by Sheila 30/11/2014
Verified by dd99 02/12/2014

Herb Doctors: HD
Ray Peat: RP

HD introduction not transcribed.
Starts at RP entrance.

HD: This month's show is on Longevity. Thanks so much for joining us again [Dr Peat]. I know that a lot of your background has been involved with reproductive physiology and ageing and so, as always, I would ask you just to introduce yourself and your professional and academic background for people who perhaps have never listened to you.

RP: OK, I started getting interested in ageing, I guess, in childhood, but through the 1950s when I would mention it to people, a few of the very old people - like a biology professor who studied around the end of the century - had some interesting ideas about the actual cause of ageing that suggested possibilities for actually preventing it. But most people in the 1950s weren't at all interested in the idea of curing ageing - it was inconceivable that anything could be done about it.

But, finally, when I decided to go to graduate school in Biology in 1968 to 1972 at the University of Oregon, I intended to study brain biology, but it happened that there were some good people working on reproductive ageing so I did my dissertation on female reproductive ageing. And that helped to answer some questions that I had been accumulating for 20 years. But it really just opened up a lot of basic biological questions: the whole nature of what an organism is and how it develops through time, growing up from an egg to an adult. The whole process is something that used to be explained as a sort of reading out from a pre-established blueprint in the genes and that led to the idea that there must be genes causing ageing and death. Rethinking that whole developmental scheme is necessary and if you see development as epigenetic or open to interaction with the environment, then ageing obviously is another epigenetic environmentally-dependent process.

HD: OK, well, what I am most happy with and constantly amazed is your interpretation of a lot of previously held scientific 'facts', for want of a better word that both I was taught when I was doing my degree and the science that we had was the same medical science that doctors get and still flawed with all of the same mistakes. And what I really appreciate is you bringing out some very different perspectives on it, which I think is very important, and very scientifically based perspectives, and ones that are not actually hidden, I mean they are there in the articles and abstracts of published medical journals, but it's very slow to reach the doctors. So, in terms of tonight's show and going over longevity, I think it is a subject that most people would be pretty interested in, in how to extend their lifespan and I know that there's lots of gene research and a billionaire investor who is trying to do 40,000 sequences a year and he hopes to get up to 100,000 sequences a year and is hopefully trying to find the answer behind ageing and is going through people's genomes and also their biomes to find out what they are dealing with and see if there is any link between those people that have degenerative disease and cancers and those people that perhaps don't, but why it is they all die and see if there can be any answers to be found. I am sure they probably will find some answers too, given long enough!

So, getting on to longevity then, I wonder if it is wrong to think we can extend our lives beyond 120 in this current world and be both healthy and strong, and I think what I wanted to ask you first, was I read a recent study in a fairly popular publication about long life and health in general, published by the University of Wisconsin, actually published in the online journal "E-Life". They were mentioning a trial that was done with a strain of e-coli and they subjected this e-coli bacteria to a normally lethal dose of radiation that would normally kill a person and they took whatever few surviving colonies of e-coli that there were, reproduced them and doubled the dose and then took the survivors from them and doubled the dose until they got 20 generations down the line, a colony of e-coli which were able to withstand a thousand times the lethal radiation dose that would kill a human and we're looking at the mechanisms behind this to see what these gene mutations had done to them to enable them to resist the effect. So they were talking about the ability to repair DNA as a primary objective in facilitating longevity. What do you think about the protection of DNA in our body as a method of sustaining longer life?

RP: I think there is a parallel between what the bacteria are doing and what happens to humans exposed to stresses like radiation, but the single-celled organisms are essentially different in how they respond to stress because 20 generations of bacteria would be just a few days and so they couldn't possibly be evolving new DNA sequences to make new functional proteins in such a short time. The radiation degrades protein so it tends to simply knock out functions when it is damaging the DNA. But the bacteria that died had their DNA so damaged they had lost function and the ones that survived simply didn't lose the function but their defence processes were activated and so what they were getting with each generation was an intensification of the defence reactions that ordinary bacteria have. Things like bacteria, yeasts and protozoa, when they are under stress they can either decide to reproduce faster, live more intensely and divide more quickly, if their genes are still working, or they can go in the direction of sort of dehydration and for radiation forming a spore and eliminating a lot of water makes the DNA very resistant to radiation because water is part of the hydroxyl radical is what destroys the DNA, so without any water tied to the DNA it is very resistant.

HD: So that's why spores can live for so long in the desert or...

RP: Yeah, if humans tried to do that, the cells under stress would either multiply very rapidly and that would be a cancer or they would go into something worse than hibernation in which they simply dried up and were like a suspended mummy-like existence. So it just doesn't work for humans. The same idea is that we have ways of handling damaged genes or threats to the genes and what people do or animals is to kill the whole cell when the organism senses that the DNA has been damaged beyond the capacity to repair it. So that's happening very fast, the cells will turnover quickly, but to not form a cancer, they have to let the damaged ones... sort of a triage... beyond a certain degree of damage they have to let the cell die. And the quicker it can die, the more material is available for stimulating stem cells to replace it. So, I think a major factor in ageing is that things interfere with that whole process of either repairing or letting the cells die quickly to be replaced. In old age, the process of cell death is retarded, interestingly, the cells become old and they can't decide what to do [laughter] and so they slow down the whole organism, [it] metabolically slows down and, in that slowing down process, they have some undesirable products, like lactic acid, that cause problems for the whole organism, instead of just dying and getting it over with.

HD: So you are saying that the process of apoptosis, cell programmed death, is actually slowed down in normal, human ageing?

RP: Yeah, I think people are now looking for what the factors are to retard that quick replacement, that quick apoptosis and activation of stem cells.

HD: Interesting. All right, getting on to energy, I know that you're very interested in energy-promoting substances in thyroid and progesterone, aspirin etc being amongst some of those definite energy promoting substances. Well, there's a compound called NAD and NAD+ and another form NADH which is very important in terms of intra-cellular, extra-cellular energy conveyance and powering reactions. So, the article that was using the e-coli forms and providing a strain of e-coli that was super-resistant to radiation was also mentioning that this compound NAD+ was another target therapy and they'd actually produced a form, obviously a patented form of this product that they were trying to sell and I think that's also part of this evening's show and try to highlight some of the mistakes that we commonly are bombarded with in terms of being told it is the truth and we'll bring out a couple of these and you'll specifically identify the mistakes that the authors of the publication, or the promoters of the product, were guilty of perpetrating if you like? NAD+, then, as a compound. How important do you see NAD+ and therefore this company's new product to be taken as a supplement to raise NAD+, how important that would be in our biological systems?

RP: Our cells are constantly in a process of oxidising and things like sugar, the electrons go to the oxidizing NAD+ and reduce it so that it becomes NADH and NADH can then pass those electrons on eventually to oxygen. So there's a streaming through NAD+/NADH to the mitochondrion and oxygen and in the normal metabolism you should have three to five hundred times as much NAD+ as NADH because there's then a rapidly oxidising state, and stresses that interfere with oxygen or that subtract the NAD+ and NADH, the lower the supply of the total NAD and NADH is, the more easily a stress causes a failure of the balance, so it shifts more easily through a very reduced NADH-dominant state.

HD: So stress depletes NAD+?

RP: Well, it depletes both of them, right. One of the things that depletes both of them is damage to the DNA, such as radiation, and in repairing the DNA breaks there are enzymes that build up a chain of repetitive bases, so it's a meaningless chain but it plugs up the hole basically in the DNA and to do that, to repair the chain, the ADP is attached. ADP comes from the supply of NAD and NADH, and so when you get a nick in the DNA you have this huge amount of NAD+/NADH available and you draw it down to repair the damage. But if you draw it down in repairing too many broken DNAs, then that interferes with the energy production of the cell. And if you have ways to block those enzymes and stop the DNA repair, then the cell can make the decision to die and stop wasting energy from the organism and instead it becomes raw materials for the stem cells.

HD: Is there anything that you know of that would pre-empt that destructive apoptotic phase, rather than wasting energy trying to repair damage, chromosomal damage?

RP: Yeah, there are several drugs that will block that enzyme. It's initials are PARP. So, PARP-inhibiting enzymes can save cells from dying unnecessarily. If you inhibit that process you can give the cell a chance to rest or you can inhibit it and let it go ahead and die.

HD: Interesting. PARP?

RP: Niacinamide happens to be a very safe way to inhibit that enzyme. It, at the same time, is the precursor for making NAD+/NADH so you're plugging the drain and filling up the pool at the same time, when you have a good source of niacinamide. And we can normally make that from proteins, the tryptophan converting it to niacin, but if we're deficient in protein or have something blocking, like a vitamin deficiency that blocks the conversion of tryptophan to niacin, then we can't keep the NAD supply adequate.

HD: Would this deficiency be pretty easily recognised, would it be a typically-known condition?

RP: The chronic extreme state was known as pellagra. It occasionally turns up with a rough skin condition when a person reaches a great deficiency but there are earlier signs such as mood disturbances and various energy-related and many, many variations on symptoms.

HD: OK, so you're listening to Ask Your Herb Doctor, KMUD.....and to carry on the subject on Longevity, the article also brought out the compounds called Sirtuins; SIR1 and SIR3. They were also posited, and I think it was a contradiction that the article mentioned, as another factor to improve longevity and NAD+ was a co-factor in their production. What was your opinion of calorie restriction as a way of activating the sirtuins, but the sirtuins are not necessarily positive are they, they're more for hibernation or...?

RP: Yeah, in calorie restriction the organism has to do something to survive and so it starts shutting down, turning off the genes. The initials stand for "Silent Information Regulators", "SIR". In yeasts, starvation or stress will turn those on and turn off genes and in animal cells they do the same thing, but how they got to be so interesting is that a group at Harvard was arguing that longevity in yeast corresponded to long life in humans. But in single-celled organisms, what they were saying was, rapid and continued cell division - the equivalent would be cancer in a human rather than long life - and from the ability to stimulate rapid and prolonged cell division in yeasts, they argued that resveratrol, which is related chemically, very closely to DES (diethylstilbestrol), a simple synthetic oestrogen, resveratrol is a natural stilbene-type substance found in grapes. It does have oestrogenic activity and yeasts are especially sensitive - yeasts produce oestradiol just like humans - and so yeast is being given basically an over-dose of oestrogen so it is more fertile. In humans that same sort of over-dose isn't desirable. In that process of turning off genes, when you do it in a human, you are moving towards the spore-like or hibernating state of not producing proteins, and two of the very important proteins that get turned off by the sirtuins, include klotho - the phosphate-regulating protein that, when it's turned off, you get very rapid ageing and degeneration of all of the tissues - and another protein or enzyme, P53 protein, is a tumour-suppressor protein. And so you definitely don't want to just blindly turn off proteins in defence.

HD: So you don't want to just shut down and turn your anti-tumour proteins off!

RP: Yeah, and your anti-ageing klotho proteins.

HD: All right, OK, getting on to...the article again was saying that the age-related decrease in NAD+ causes defects in energy and gene-related changes to accumulate. Do you think age-related mitochondrial dysfunction can be reversed or merely protected for longer in the lifespan, thereby gaining more time down the road?

RP: Um, yeah, several years ago the Harvard Group, someone in that group, said that we shouldn't supplement niacin, naicinamide, because it suppresses sirtuins, and they said that the sirtuins are the long-life proteins and niacinamide will accelerate aging. But someone simply put human cells in the dish and gave them a supplement of niacinamide and they lived 60% longer. So, there are various treatments that can do the same thing. Vitamin E, for example, adjusting amino acid balance and fats and so on, but simply the adequate or enriched supply of niacinamide is enough to greatly extend the growth ability of human cells.

HD: Good. OK. Well we do have a couple of callers who are already coming in, so let's take them a little bit early. Caller you're on the air.

Caller: Hi, [from New Jersey], once again there's too many questions I want to ask but I'll ask the question I originally called with. I understand the importance - you've talked about it, others do talk about it - of consuming high-quality proteins if we want to maintain our systems and renew them. It seems to be good for just about every body system but there is one exception and that's the kidneys, and you said, and I'm going to quote from your "Gelatin, Stress and Longevity" article:

[http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gelatin.shtml]

"Since glycine is non-toxic, if the kidneys are working, since any amino acid will contribute to the production of ammonia, this kind of chemotherapy can be pleasant."

And I recommend the article, because the article as a whole is wonderful and I hope you don't mind me taking this little piece out. But you're the first person that I've read who has actually said, any amount of amino acid will stress the kidneys. I guess what I am wondering is, is there any simple and hopefully, more or less immediate way, that we can judge that we are getting enough amino acids in a day to achieve nitrogen balance, or everything we sort of need to accomplish for our bodies but not so much that it stresses the kidneys, or some happy medium, perhaps using a reliable urine dipstick test. Is there anything like that?

RP: Normal functioning kidneys aren't stressed by a high protein diet, but when something is impairing kidney function such as hypothyroidism or other sickness, then with low kidney function and a lot of bacteria in your intestine breaking down amino acids you can get accumulated ammonia. And that's where RL Veech, an NIH - I think it was - researcher, proposed using ketone, keto acids, equivalent to the essential amino acids, which will absorb the ammonia, even when a person has no functioning kidney... ability to secrete ammonia. Just by feeding keto acids, if they are the equivalent of the essential amino acids, you create them in your body by absorbing the ammonia and then making your own protein, and that was where I got the idea that some foods would contain natural keto acid equivalents and we did chromatography on potato juice and found that they are rich in the keto acids which will function as amino acids, even though they contain no ammonia, because they can absorb ammonia from your blood.

Caller: Absorb it from the blood, thereby, so the kidneys will not be as stressed?

RP: That was for use in people who were having essentially no kidney function and Veech's research showed that these ketones, or keto acids, are very helpful for failing kidneys. But, ordinarily, there are many other things you need to do when you have kidney disease; you want to correct all of the hormones that are involved in regulating kidney physiology, especially thyroid, progesterone, oestrogen, cortisol and some of the pituitary stress-related hormones.

Caller: And I understand that of course this is a process and it's not something that I can just take a pill and everything's going to come right and it would be really important again to keep eating the raw carrot daily, am I correct? To keep the ammonia down?

RP: I didn't understand all of that...

Caller: I'm sorry, I mean I understand that this is a process and it would be very important to continue to eat the raw carrot daily, am I correct? To keep the ammonia down?

RP: Yes that does help with the bacterial ammonia production.

Caller: OK and how often do you think it would be wise to..I mean my kidneys - I'm not on dialysis - my kidneys are not failing to that degree but they are sore upon, if I press lightly or medium pressure, I can feel them and certain practitioners have told me my kidneys are not strong. So would you recommend that someone do potato... You said you used a centrifugal juicer, am I right?

RP: Yeah, a few people who had ammonia coming out of the breath every time they ate just about any food containing protein, had just a couple of meals of potato juice and they started assimilating proteins but in Veech's research, he put them on a chronic diet of keto acid supplements.

Caller: Thank you so much, thank you very much, I'm going to look further into that. I appreciate it.

HD: OK, we've got a steady stream of callers building up here, let's take the next one and move through them one at a time.

Caller: I'm Chris from Colorado Springs, and I have two questions for Dr Peat, one's on topic and the other one's completely off topic. And first I wanted to say to you Andrew that I and a lot of the listeners do miss Sarah and hope she returns but, I just want to say, you have been doing a great job doing the show by yourself, keep up the good work. Dr Peat in terms of longevity and in reading your articles, one gets the idea of the importance of saturated fats and the avoidance of the unsaturated fats. However, in terms of proper oxidative energy,and importance that sugars like sucrose and lactose play into that, how important is it maybe to keep the fats on the low side and focus on the sugars or is there still a minimum of fat and saturated fat that is important in terms of longevity?

RP: A certain small amount of fat helps to stimulate the intestine and activate absorption of the oily vitamins - vitamins K, D, A & E. And about 30 or 40 years ago, I was looking at the association of various fats with the cancer, spontaneous cancer incidence and I saw that coconut oil had the lowest of the natural oils, but someone found that hydrogenated coconut oil containing zero polyunsaturated or 'essential' acids, had the lowest incidence of spontaneous cancer of all, essentially like a completely fat-free diet. And so, the fat... even 2 or 3% of PUFA in butter and coconut oil, the fact that that accumulates - because our muscles, for example, quickly oxidize the saturated fats and preferentially we store the more water soluble, polyunsaturated fats - and so over time even eating a moderate amount of butter and coconut oil, our tissues will become increasingly saturated with the polyunsaturated fats. And the fat cells, which store little droplets of fat, they for their own energy prefer - like the muscles - they prefer to oxidize the safe, saturated fats. So, our fat tissues with age become more and more concentrated with a relatively pure polyunsaturated store of fat. And, under stress, fat is released and especially the polyunsaturated, which is more accessible to the stress activation. So, with age, stress becomes more harmful, because you've stored up more of the PUFA. So, since we can make all of the saturated fats, palmitate, stearate and we can desaturate stearic acid to make oleic acid and our own series of polyunsaturateds, I think it's best to get as much sugar and starch in your diet, preferably sugars from fruit and milk, and minimise the exposure to the unstable and n-6 and n-3 fatty acids.

Caller: OK, yes that makes sense, trying to displace the fat with sugars and you mention orange juice and the lactose in milk and you're going to get a little bit of fat and probably to focus on the saturated, but it sounds like sugars are probably more important. Just because you like saturated fats, you're not probably a proponent of high fat diets and your more of sugars and keeping the metabolism high and all that. Another question - my girlfriend has been dealing with this for quite a few months, almost a year now, Dr Peat, and I was wondering whether you had any ideas on what the cause is for people that grind their teeth at night, without even noticing and she has no idea she is doing it, but then her jaw is sore and the dentist told her she's grinding down her teeth and I wondered if you knew what the possible cause is and any quick solutions, of course we'll be focusing on the thyroid in the long term but something in the short term that might help?

RP: There are several publications showing that high serotonin is probably the major thing in tooth grinding and probably also in restless leg syndrome where the legs churn during the night.

HD: So, to lower high serotonin, what would be the most straightforward way of lowering serotonin in someone?

RP: Reducing intestinal inflammation is the quickest way; low thyroid is probably a factor in high serotonin, but simply avoiding slowly digested foods like resistant starches or undercooked vegetables - salads are very bad for irritating the intestine and producing it.

HD: So cascara would be pretty for improving bowel motility and excretion?

RP: Yeah and some of the so-called soluble fibres, even pectin for example from fruit can greatly increase the production of serotonin and disturb the sleep.

HD: Well we do have some more callers on the air, so let's take the next one.

Caller: Graham [Los Angeles] - my wife has chronic fatigue and I am wondering whether Dr Peat has any insights or thoughts on how to deal with chronic fatigue and in particular mitochondrial dysfunction?

RP: Yeah, basically the same stress syndrome: low thyroid, excess production of lactic acid and all of the stress mediators... the serotonin and histamine are usually high, with prolactin shows up, generally very closely associated with chronic fatigue, and prolactin rises generally when your thyroid goes down and serotonin goes up.

Caller: OK, so what would be your suggestions, in terms of say a dietary approach to this?

RP: Things that are quickly digested and raw carrot contains anti-inflammatory chemicals as well as some antibiotics and they suppress irritating bacteria as well as binding some of the toxins. They have an anti-inflammatory effect that can seriously adjust your hormones in a good direction, just having a raw carrot every day.

Caller: Dr, my wife has been a keen listener to a lot of your programs, she has been trying the raw carrot and she finds that very hard to digest, and basically consume, is there...

RP: Their good point is that they're indigestible...the point of eating the carrot is that they can't be digested [HD: That's the whole point.] and so they release some of the antiseptic chemicals that helps to stimulate digestion and carry out material because they don't break down and produce bacterial growth, the way other starchy vegetables do.

HD: So you can think of grated raw carrot as a kind of bottle brush effectively within the lumen of the gut.

RP: Yeah, and if you shred them with a fine food processor, so that they're almost like hair, that's the most effective kind of fibre, because you get a lot of surface area for the irritants.

Caller: And Dr, one final question. Metabolic syndrome, I've been having trouble with that. What would you suggest from a dietary position there?

RP: What syndrome?

Caller: Metabolic syndrome. I find it hard to remove fat, despite exercise or dietary approaches, to get the fat off my belly.

RP: The polyunsaturated fats are probably what set up that inability to oxidize sugar efficiently and it keeps the free fatty acids in circulation and free fatty acids block your metabolism in general. So, you can break the cycle in various ways, but probably an active form of thyroid containing t3 is the basic way to get the metabolism going, so that you can oxidise glucose and turn off the free fatty acids.

Caller: Any suggestions to what I should consider?

RP: The important thing is to keep track of your metabolic rate, how many calories you need, how much water you're able to evaporate. Low thyroid people find that a lot of the water they drink comes back as urine, where you should be able to evaporate a couple of quarts of water a day, but it means that you if you drink three quarts you get one quart of urine back per day. Other indicators of metabolic rate are heart rate at rest and temperature cycle. Temperature should rise to around 98.6 right after breakfast and stay there until close to sunset.

Caller: OK, thank you Dr, very much appreciated.

HD Thank you caller.....OK Dr Peat, I wanted to carry on asking you some more questions about the B vitamins, I know that they're intrinsically involved in energy generation and its transfer. What would you suggest as a good strategy to ensure adequate levels of B vitamins?

RP: A good diet that includes liver once and a while, milk regularly and/or cheese, eggs regularly, seafood or meat fairly regularly, at least once a week for some kind of seafood is good for the trace minerals that you might not get in some of the land foods.

HD: Given that it's water soluble, do you think, how realistic do you think it is for people actually to be low in B vitamins that may otherwise make a difference? I know you have mentioned B1 and B3 as being something that has been intrinsically important in people's memory, their retention of information, and how quickly it can make a difference just by supplementing with it. And if they're supplementing, I presume that they were low in it and so taking a supplement raises their B levels, their 1 and their 3, and corrected their mental state.

RP: Yeah, B vitamins act very quickly, so you can usually see an effect, sometimes - like with Vitamin B1 you can often feel an effect in the first hour, with Vitamin B6, you generally feel an effect in the first day. And with Vitamin B6, sometimes 10mg is all it needs and one dose will often take care of a problem that has lingered for a long time. And it's good if you can use a few doses of the supplements, because most of the supplements have impurities and excipients that aren't good in the long run.

HD: I know you are a proponent of very modest doses, too, so what would you - a lot of companies sell B vitamins at 500mg, ridiculous amounts, especially of B6 or B3. What would you recommend?

RP: If a person has diabetes or cancer or something and has very high lactic acid production, 300mg in divided doses can help to normalise sugar metabolism and lactic acid. But ordinarily 10 or 20mg is plenty.

HD: Is this B3 we are talking about now?

RP: No, that was thiamine, B1. And B3, for major problems, including diabetes, probably arthritis and a lot of degenerative problems, taking 50 or 100mg several times a day of niacinamide can control the symptoms, reduce inflammation, protect the nerves and accelerate glucose oxidation and so on. And I should mention that, for some reason, I think Doctors like nicotinic acid, because it has such visible effects of making you turn red, but people generally don't like the feeling of flushing and it isn't good for your health because it releases serotonin, histamine and toxic prostaglandins, so it's actually causing damage when it flushes you. And in recent years, the market has been flooded by something they call 'no flush' niacin, but if you look at the label, you will see it is inositol hexanicotinate and that means that each molecule has six nicotinic acids and it's a little slower to release - that's why it doesn't cause the sudden, intense, flushing, but it's the same substance that's releasing those inflammatory, toxic substances. So it has to be niacinamide or the new niacinamide or nicotinamide 'riboside', which is just a variation on niacinamide. It's a lot more expensive, but if you have an allergic reaction to one, you can try the other.

HD: OK so I just very quickly want you to remind listeners, the dose, and you mentioned specifically for cancers even, for B1 and you mentioned: two to three hundred milligrams in divided doses?

RP: Yeah, it's safe to take as much as 300mg during a day.

HD: And again, what would the benefits of that be?

RP: Lowering lactic acid, stimulating the oxidation of it and so you produce more carbon dioxide and less lactic acid. That shifts away from inflammation. Lactic acid is keeping the cancer developing by creating an inflammation and disturbing the pH balance.

HD: Well, OK, we do have a couple more callers, so we should probably take this next caller and see where it takes us...

Caller: Hi, I'm from Laytonville, I have two questions: you mentioned the body temp and I have always had a low body temp like 97.4-ish. Is that normal or...?

HD: No.

Caller: So, what are some things? Like hot foods, ginger, what are some things [to do]?

HD: Well no, not particularly because they just cause peripheral vaso-dilation which might give you a feeling of warmth but might just cool you down. Dr Peat when he mentions temperature and pulses as a measure, as a good gauge for assessing thyroid function, that you should reach 98.6 during the daytime and preferably after breakfast in the morning and you should stay that kind of temperature pretty much all through the day until the evening. If you have consistently low body temperatures that do not seem to rise after food then that would be fairly suggestive of metabolic deficiency and particularly that you'd benefit from using thyroid hormone..

RP: And protein deficiency is a possible cause of low body temperature; I've seen people who couldn't respond to thyroid or other metabolic activators and it turned out they were eating something like 20g of protein a day when the requirement is closer to 80g.

Caller: That makes sense, I have "A" blood type, I have cortisol, active, I need protein, that makes sense...my other question is, what are your thoughts on chelation, the heavy metal cleanse?

RP: Good foods will safely activate the process of mobilising heavy metals from the tissues and passing them out through the kidneys. Coffee drinkers are known to have a lower load of most of the heavy metals such as cadmium and lead.

Caller: Do you think that foods, a healthy diet, would naturally take care of all of the heavy metals we accumulate daily?

RP: Yeah, one of the advantages of having orange juice and milk in your diet constantly is that they provide materials that help to inactivate the toxic effect of heavy metals whilst mobilising them and washing them out through the kidneys.

Caller: All right, thank you gentlemen.

HD: Dr Peat, I've got to ask a personal question and I think a lot of people might like to hear your thoughts on this because they're always very different and I'm always happy to hear what you have to say because you're always so illuminating. Ebola virus, is becoming a very careful watch word right now, and I'm not being flippant at all, but what would you do, what are your thoughts and your suggestions on Ebola virus and how to best protect yourself from it?

RP: If the effects of it are basically like flu and many other viral or even bacterial infections that activate the inflammatory processes and inactivate our immune defences and if you look at the research, the first thing that happens is the inhibition of interferon, the anti-viral, one of the defences, and activation of nitric oxide production which opens up blood vessels, makes them leaky and lowers energy production. And so, whether it's flu or Ebola or poisoning by chemicals, the method of defending yourself is pretty much the same: to lower anything irritating that you're doing, such as eating foods that are hard to digest, and doing anything you can to lower inflammation and nitric oxide production.

HD: Aspirin?

RP: Aspirin and coffee... and niacinamide are all defences against nitric oxide. And I think nitric oxide is central to all of those when they get to the point of causing the degenerative bleeding processes.

HD: What about interferon, is there anything useful for raising your interferon or protecting or preventing the blockage of it?

RP: No, I think that will take care of itself if you just keep your energy up and hold the inflammatory things, such as nitric oxide, as low as you can.

HD: Well I had to ask you, and I thought you would have some suggestions for this. Thanks Dr Peat.

RP: OK, thank you.

End.

OP
Sheila

Sheila

Re: KMUD Longevity - review of transcription

dd99 has kindly said he will proof this one, thank you dd99, at your convenience.
Sheila

burtlancast

Re: KMUD Longevity

Thanks to both of you, Sheila and dd99 , for your efforts.
Much appreciated.
:hattip

Attachments

• Longevity , 2014, KMUD Herb doctors RAY PEAT .pdf
    74.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Longevity , 2014, KMUD Herb doctors RAY PEAT .docx
    32.8 KB · Views: 74
OP
Sheila

Sheila

Reposted the version kindly verified by dd99 as post #1 today. Thanks dd99, you're a gem.
Sheila

tara

Thanks Sheila, dd99.

Aimer

two of the very important proteins that get turned off by the sirtuins, include klotho - the phosphate-regulating protein that, when it's turned off, you get very rapid ageing and degeneration of all of the tissues - and another protein or enzyme, P53 protein, is a tumour-suppressor protein.
Any study support ?