Sugar Vs. Honey

BobbyDukes

Honey can be allergenic for many (when eaten in large quantities). It's expensive. It may have some interesting anti-bacterial components. Nutritionally, it has barely anything to offer (similar to table sugar).

It personally doesn't agree with me. I haven't tried all types of honey. Maybe some would agree with me, but I have never persisted in trying beyond five or six different types/brands. And some, literally cost the Earth.

Maple syrup however, I can eat bottles of that stuff. Tastes way better than honey, IMO. Blends into milk effortlessly (not like honey, which has a nasty taste in larger quantities). So maple syrup is my chosen carb of choice (along with fruit juice).

That's just what I do!

Morning Star

Yes, Maple syrup contains an appreciable amount of zinc, is one of the best sources of manganese, and tastes absolutely divine. Stay away from table sugar. It's given me nothing but problems.

Morning Star

Any type is perfectly fine. I have only been able to detect subtle differences in the three brands I've sampled. I go for the organic one now because it's only a buck more. It is absolutely lovely with milk. Milk and honey is a joke compared to maple syrup and milk.

tara

IS THAT RIGHT ?
Honey has more free fructose and glucose (monosaccharides) and some sucrose (disaccharide). Table sugar is all sucrose. Honey often breaks down to more fructose than glucose; sucrose to equal parts of each.
And as above, honey has some other substances, depending on what they fed on.

OP
Bahaa El wazzan
Honey has more free fructose and glucose (monosaccharides) and some sucrose (disaccharide). Table sugar is all sucrose. Honey often breaks down to more fructose than glucose; sucrose to equal parts of each.
And as above, honey has some other substances, depending on what they fed on.
Woow that 's awesome info thanks a lot ur sweet

DaveFoster

Yes, Maple syrup contains an appreciable amount of zinc, is one of the best sources of manganese, and tastes absolutely divine. Stay away from table sugar. It's given me nothing but problems.
Care to elaborate? 1 cup per day table sugar here.

DaveFoster

I currently consume about a cup of sugar per day with plenty of OJ, milk, coffee, coconut oil, gelatin, liver. oysters, and occasional other foods.

I feel good on it, but I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their sugar source with honey. I'm not too worried due to the nutrient density of the OJ, but I'm interested to hear alternatives.

squanch

I don't really see any reason to consume white sugar if you have access to proper raw honey (except lower costs).
There's just so many different compounds in honey, most of them not even studied yet and every type of honey is different.
If someone finds honey to be allergenic, trying different monofloral honeys would be an option. Most people seem to tolerate acacia honey very well for example.

Traditional and Modern Uses of Natural Honey in Human Diseases: A Review
"Honey has been reported to have an inhibitory effect on around 60 species of bacteria, some species of fungi and viruses. Antioxidant capacity of honey is important in many disease conditions and is due to a wide range of compounds including phenolics, peptides, organic acids, enzymes, and Maillard reaction products."

Honey - A Novel Antidiabetic Agent
"There is no doubt that studies investigating the potential role of honey in the management of diabetes mellitus are at a relatively early stage. In spite of a dearth of data, these studies have overwhelmingly shown that honey is more tolerable than most common sugars or sweeteners in healthy subjects or patients with impaired glucose tolerance or diabetes mellitus."

keith

I like honey in theory, but it doesn't dissolve easily in cold beverages, is a little harder to measure/dispense, and is substantially messier than plain old granulated sugar. It is probably a bit better nutritionally, but I find it bothersome to use regularly, so I avoid the admittedly minimal stress and use sugar. I eat a fair amount of fruit, and use the sugar as something of a supplement, because is seem to need more than what I get from fruit alone. I think Peat has ranked fruit well above honey in terms of health benefits, but honey above white sugar.

Agent207

I don't agree with general idea of table sugar as a healthy food source. Its not not the "devil" claimed by the media which is a very diferent thing; but in a healthy diet I think it should be avoided as a staple when theres good sources available like honey or fruit. There is life beyond OJ.

Its not like to be a problem for having a tsp of it in your coffee if you like, or some candy here and then... but I don't see the point of eating "a cup" of refined sugar daily as part of your diet, having fruit, honey, maple syrup, blackstrap....

X3CyO

The body loves sugar; sucrose in particular. One could argue that humans are at baseline frugivores based on structure, but to live that lifestyle nowadays.. hell. Ever. Is tough.

Sugars linked to increased CO2 in the body which Peat as a whole advocates, its been used to cure diabetes, and its been used historically for healing cuts, and speeding up healing time.

I agree that humans are not made to consume sugar straigh, but if eaten along with foods, or atleast in a configuration which resembles fruit or milk in ratios of carbs to fats to proteins... then its ideal to consume as much as possible within reason.
Maxing out at 3 cups including refined and natural sugars from fruit would be more reasonable, although its understandable for someone to be cautious about eating even a cup. Its so 180 from what we've lived with and heard.. hell even after reading all of peats studies, and hearing his talks on youtube, hearing what other people say.

Just my 2c. Many get bored with sugar after a cup anyways.

Agent207

Sugars linked to increased CO2 in the body which Peat as a whole advocates, its been used to cure diabetes, and its been used historically for healing cuts, and speeding up healing time.

carbs/glucose linked to increased CO2... not a sugar specific feature. Please lets not subtly mislead Peat words.

X3CyO

Youre right; raised internal CO2 isnt a sugar specific mechanism.

But it is a mechanism effectively utilized by sugar, and peat has reccomended fruit/sugar over complex carbs (pure glucose).

******I think they do have their place if eaten with a pure fructose source possibly, but this is just personal speculation. (hfcs drink with potatoes levels out insulin response even if foods are rapidly absorbed?)*********

I personally just reccomend sucrose due to fructose helping glucose not cause intense insulin spikes. They really are a yin and yang of sorts in a lot of ways.

keith

The sugar in white sugar (sucrose) is that same as the sugar in honey or fruit. The benefits of fruit, especially, and honey to a lesser extent, is the other nutrition they provide that plain sugar lacks, but sugar itself is very healthy, in my opinion, and RP has suggested the same. He prefers other sources (particularly fruit), but has been pretty clear, in my opinion, that eating any sugar is preferable to eating none, and has mentioned, for example, drinking coke when OJ wasn't available. I think white sugar is perfectly fine, as long as the other nutrients are sufficient from other sources. I have found great benefit, personally, from dramatically increasing sugar intake, and white sugar is an easy way to do it for me. That's my 2 cents. If your experience is different, go with what works for you.

X3CyO

^+1

To address the main question of honey > Sugar..
Personally sucrose>Honey due to ratio of glucose to fructose but Honey> Sucrose due to minerals and much much more... its almost like a fruit but liquid and more fructose.

Its consistency.. eh. But the taste variations is really what distinguishes it as a fun, possibly peatish source of food.

Last edited:

Jayfish

I find honey to be too allergenic. I often times feel a itchiness in my throat after big amounts of honey. I mean its filled with all sorts of pollen particles so no wonder it can be allergenic.

Personally i live in a place that harvests maple syrup and lately i have been eating almost a cup a day of it. It digests really well for me and has been a main source of manganese.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals