Honey Gets Much Better Results Than Sucrose

Velve921

Looks like a good diet man. You're hitting all your micros so extra honey and maple syrup should work great. I'm all about convenience too so I totally get it.

Ive recently started experimenting with honey... so far I’m feeling positive effects. To get my sugar I normally use Organic OJ, but recently I’ve been a little wired up at night. But once adding in honey before bed, it seems to have some very relaxing effects. Do you think this effect can come from the high amount of fructose in such a small amount of substance? Creates a large anti-stress effect?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Ive recently started experimenting with honey... so far I’m feeling positive effects. To get my sugar I normally use Organic OJ, but recently I’ve been a little wired up at night. But once adding in honey before bed, it seems to have some very relaxing effects. Do you think this effect can come from the high amount of fructose in such a small amount of substance? Creates a large anti-stress effect?
Could be other compounds in the honey as well that make you feel that way. Perhaps less liquid is also helping. Honey is also anti-microbial, which can help to lower inflammation.

Daniil

I completely agree with the above, but it is often difficult to eat something else. Some types of honey give me dyspepsia. Rice makes me restless legs at night. I have no idea where in Russia to get real (not just water with sugar and dye) maple syrup and agave juice. fruits are also problematic because they are mostly represented in Russia by apples (which I don't like) and bananas, which Ray criticizes. Therefore, I have to eat mainly sugar and potatoes. I also gave up gluten.

Last edited:

Nomane Euger

Et
I completely agree with the above, but it is often difficult to eat something else. Some types of honey give me dyspepsia. Rice makes me restless legs at night. I have no idea where in Russia to get real (not just water with sugar and dye) maple syrup and agave juice. fruits are also problematic because they are mostly represented in Russia by apples (which I don't like) and bananas, which Ray criticizes. Therefore, I have to eat mainly sugar and potatoes. I also gave up gluten.
what are your dyspepsia symptoms?

Nomane Euger

A feeling similar to a burning sensation in the upper abdomen. Usually, this begins immediately after eating honey.
independently of the quantity?

Daniil

I think, ideally, I would take calories from fruits such as melons, watermelons, papayas, apricots, etc. But I either do not have them, or they are seasonal(like watermelons)

Nomane Euger

Sometimes a tablespoon is enough to feel it.
thanks you,is there characteristics from those honey that you associated with your symptoms,fructose/glucose ratio,set honey vsliquid honey,clear vs dark?

Daniil

thanks you,is there characteristics from those honey that you associated with your symptoms,fructose/glucose ratio,set honey vsliquid honey,clear vs dark?
Well, I have a (solid) flower honey that causes this in me and that I will not eat in any way

Missenger

Make sure you know what you're buying. Japan was talking about banning New Zealand honey since they can't stop contaminating it with glyphosate.

schultz

Some interesting notes from the study:

The sucrose and honey groups had increased bone density over the low GI starch group. The sucrose diet group seemed to have bigger bones than the honey group?

The honey used was a very specific high antioxidant honey from honeydew melon flowers.

"A honeydew honey (HD19) with a high antioxidant content(TEAC=3.1 mmol/L) was chosen for use in this study."

The authors note a previous study in which honey-fed rats ate more and gained less weight than a sugar-free diet. EDIT: I believe that study used the same honeydew honey.

"In the earlier work (Chepulis 2007), however, reduced weight gain occurred in honey-fed rats even though the overall 6-wk food intake was significantly higher in these animals compared with those fed the sugar-free diet."

The fat used in the diet was used cooking oil which I thought was sort of funny.

"To enhance the possible levels of oxidative damage that may occur in these animals, the diets were prepared using used cooking oil rather than virgin oil as the source of fat. The cooking oil was sourced from various commercial kitchens in Palmerston North, New Zealand, and well mixed prior to inclusion in the diets."

And the authors remark on lipoprotein levels in rats as a poor model for humans.

"It is important to note, though, that rodents are generally not an appropriate model to assess lipoprotein concentrations in blood as plasma lipid levels are only minimally affected by modifications of dietary fat and cholesterol compared with their response in humans (Hegsted 1975). Indeed, it has been suggested that guinea pigs may be a better model for cholesterol and lipoprotein metabolism (Fernandez 2001). However, the data reported in the present study were a part of a larger investigation that assessed the effects of honey, sucrose, and the sugar-free diet on cognition (Chepulis and Starkey 2007), and rats are a well accepted model for behavioral endpoints (Ingram and others 1994; Benton and others 2003)."