Fake Honey From China

boris

It's in german, no subtitles.

But the gist is not only does honey get cut with simple sugars:

Usually honey get's cured by the bees. In it's initial state it has high water content. The bees dry it and add enzymes until it's ripe. This process takes the bees several weeks.

In China they immediately harvest the UNRIPE watery honey and process it in giant factories that resemble breweries. They dry the honey and add artifical enzymes.

This honey get's exported all over the world. It get's mixed into other honey, etc. For the consumer there is no way to tell the exact country the honey comes from.

redsun

It's in german, no subtitles.

But the gist is not only does honey get cut with simple sugars:

Usually honey get's cured by the bees. In it's initial state it has high water content. The bees dry it and add enzymes until it's ripe. This process takes the bees several weeks.

In China they immediately harvest the UNRIPE watery honey and process it in giant factories that resemble breweries. They dry the honey and add artifical enzymes.

This honey get's exported all over the world. It get's mixed into other honey, etc. For the consumer there is no way to tell the exact country the honey comes from.

And this is why you buy pure raw honey from your local farmers market.

Inaut

You can taste the difference. I bought some cheap honey on sale at my local grocery store and can tell how terrible it is just by the viscosity..

I’m somewhat biased but Greek honey is the best. That’s also how the Greeks market their honeyz

OP
boris

boris

Yeah I think one can recognize it. But I remember some past experiences where I thought "wow that's such a light pleasant honey". I guess it was cut with syrup.

In the video they tested the syrup cut honey on the street and no one recognized it as fake. I wonder how the chinese honey must taste in comparison to real honey.

Amazoniac

- Authenticity and geographic origin of global honeys determined using carbon isotope ratios and trace elements
- The Current Situation on the International Honey Market
- International Honey Market | Ron Phipps

"'Buying fake honey is as simple as a google search' stated an article in the Sydney Morning Herald, which led to an Alibaba page for a Chinese company advertising 'Bulk liquid Rice syrup Pass C3 C4 [⇈].' The price of sweetener syrups on Alibaba, the business website, is as low as $500 per ton or $0.23/lb. An entire sub-industry focused on promoting sophisticated tools of honey adulteration is clearly active and largely being held unaccountable."

:handok:

ken

Personal story, I do construction work and had a customer. All wealth and refinement. When it comes time to pay the final bill no check in the mail. It was a small sum and latter he wanted me to come over and talk about it. I declined. being angry and not wanting to invest more time. He had told me he imported honey. That next year he made the front page of the local newspaper, federal indictment, transshipping and relabeling Chinese honey thru Thailand. Fined millions and got a couple of years in federal prison. This was probably 15 years ago.

Inaut

the honey that I bought from the store (blended "honey") had thai in it. makes sense. On another note, bought a blended honey from ukraine, russia, canada and it sure tastes and feels like real honey.

Whichway?

Another example of how regulators stupid rules do nothing to protect the average consumer. The fact that China makes and exports this s$$t shows you what they think of the rest of the world. Happy to send us drugs, tarnished supplements and foods.

Local sourced honey that isn’t cut with sugar syrups is really expensive though, and the major supermarkets and brands are happy to cut corners anyway they can to keep price down.

Lone Bunman

images (9).jpeg
I’m somewhat biased but Greek honey is the best. That’s also how the Greeks market their honeyz
That's how Greeks market anything Greek.

CrystalClear

Pure honey candies easily. In Australia, the honey brands sold in Aldi were tested. Some were not pure honey even though the label said so. We now source our honey from the bee man who lives in our street. Very convenient. Try to source from local producers to keep them going.

Philomath

I literally had honey made by monks while in Santorini... nothing special.

So while reading one of @Rinse & rePeat 's posts about quality honey, I began looking for local apiaries to find the best honey in my area. I ran across this article about "honey gate".

"Ultra filtering is a high-tech procedure where honey is heated, sometimes watered down and then forced at high pressure through extremely small filters to remove pollen, which is the only foolproof sign identifying the source of the honey. It is a spin-off of a technique refined by the Chinese, who have illegally dumped tons of their honey – some containing illegal antibiotics – on the U.S. market for years."

"In addition, honey packers began using in-house or private labs to test for honey diluted with inexpensive high fructose corn syrup or 13 other illegal sweeteners or for the presence of illegal antibiotics. But even the most sophisticated of these tests would not pinpoint the geographic source of the honey."

No wonder some people have bad reactions to honey. And no wonder people don't see the true positive effects of honey... most people have probably never eaten real honey!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals